• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone used BLC2 for .308?

GuyCoker

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2010
United States
I have been reloading .223 with BLC2 but have moved up to 308. I have 8 pounds of it and would like to use it up. I was just wondering if anyone has used it and the results they have achieved. I will be shooting it out of a SPS Tac.

Thanks, Guy

Re: Has anyone used BLC2 for .308?

try it with a 155gr VLD you will be able to get a good load worked out but as stated above it is a bit fast for heavier projectiles.

What is the Ideal powder for 168 grain? I hear that the 168 grain shoot great out of the SPS. I guess I am just looking for some insight on grain and powder picks. There combos are endless so it always helps to get some info from people that have already been down this road.

Thanks, Guy

Well I'm a bit late but I and a couple of my shooting partners swear by BLC2. We primarily shoot the Sirra 268gr boat tails and the groups are almost exclusively .5 moa and at times the groups are absolutely incredible. Anyway I dont use anything extremely fancy just winchester brass (neck sized), Winchester primers and 45gr BLC2. Try to run this through your rifle and tell me what you think.

I havnt shot the new BLC2 but was givin 6 or so lbs of the older Type'C' ball powder. lol Its from what I read close to H335. With the 168gr smk's 42.5grs seems to be best. Not to jam up your thread but ive noticed that above 75f it just doesnt work worth a darn. I use it mostly for winter time practice. Oh and at 45.5grs you'll blow the primers right out of the case. lol

Use it up and enjoy it!

Brother used to use it almost exclusively in his 308. Loved it. Hodgy seems to have been messing with its burn rate more recently, so now he uses 748 instead, or Varget if he's in a pinch.

I've gotten nice results from it under 155 Scenars out of my 18" DPMS. It's a bit temp. sensitive so be aware if you're loading close to max.

I have a 700 ACC-SD (20" bbl) and mine likes 42 gr of BL-C2 in neck sized Fed GMM brass, 165 Sierra BTHP, and BR2 primer. It will shoot a 2 hole, 5 round group at 100yds about .300". I have not shot them through a Chrony yet. I just loaded some more tonight and will see If I can reproduce it. I just threw the load together at random and it "worked". I seated them at 2.830 col. It has been so hot I was kind of waiting for this fall before I started playing with the charge weight and col to see if will get better. I am still learning the gun. I just bought it last month. Funny I was fixing to post up something just like this thread..Jim

I shoot a lot of it in 223 with everything from 55-75gr and under 150gr class in the 30-06. I've loaded a few 308's with it.

It is very consistent to meter and I don't bother trickling charges of it any more, even for match rounds in the 223. It is surely temp sensitive, but I've done a little homework and I know how it goes in the winter temps, spring, summer and fall temps. It's pretty linear and you can get a pretty fair idea of how it will work for you through a string of temperatures.

It will shoot very consistent groups with a good load, but again, you're back to temp sensitivity homework. If you do the homework I have seen little to show me you can't get it to work well.

Not every rifle likes it, but then again, not every rifle likes H4895 or Varget or IMR4064. It takes a little testing, that's part of the process.

46.5 BLC2 Fed match brass, match primers 168gr SMK. 1 Hole outta my SASS, The only downfall is its dirty and a bit temp sensitive. About the same results with 168 AMAX.

it is stinky, dirty too slow for gas guns, and extremely temp sensitive. other than that, good powder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is stinky, dirty too slow for gas guns, and extremely temp sensitive. other than that, good powder </div></div>

Interesting, as I've shot BLC2 40+ years in my M14e2's and belt guns w/o issue. 46gr's in a LC case pushing a 147 or 150 gr FMJBT is about as close to M59 an M80 ball as your going to get. I could inter-change that load with LC ball and never change POA/POI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is stinky, dirty too slow for gas guns, and extremely temp sensitive. other than that, good powder </div></div>

Interesting, as I've shot BLC2 40+ years in my M14e2's and belt guns w/o issue. 46gr's in a LC case pushing a 147 or 150 gr FMJBT is about as close to M59 an M80 ball as your going to get. I could inter-change that load with LC ball and never change POA/POI.

</div></div>sure you can prolly get away with it in a 150ish bullet weight but try it with 168's or especially 175's and plan on buyin a new op rod, just sayin

You know I've heard a lot of folks talk about op rod issues for many years, and I've worn out a barrel or 2 on Uncles XM-21's and my own 21. I burn't threw 17 barrels on my last E-2 before selling it, an 95% of the loads in F/A were BLC2 powered 150-165gr loads. To this day I've never had a rod issue with a 175smk in a 21 bumped by either BLC2, 4895, 4064 or Varget and they all would get to 800yds around 24-26 MOA which ain't too shabby.

You can hose any iron by feeding it improperly, or operating it improperly. M1A's are just that, M1A's. Many M1A's have cast rods not forged like M14's. I've seen a few cast rods not make the trip. I've seen a few forged rods broken but when the truth was told, the weapon was being operated way outside of design spec's, as they were trying to make a 1K gun out of it which it was never intended to do. Will it do it, yes it will, but not day in an day out.

Just like a SB chevy you can get 750hp and she will last a while, bump it to 1,000+ and the fuse on your new bomb is alot shorter. YMMV

gunfighter,
i gotta concede it sounds like you have a little more experience with some nicer op rods than i run...and truth told i ve never yet worn out a m1a. i just know that ive been advised to stay clear of powders slower than imr4064 in that platform. could be that my sources err on the side of caution or that youve had amazing luck. godspeed man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gunfighter,
i gotta concede it sounds like you have a little more experience with some nicer op rods than i run...and truth told i ve never yet worn out a m1a. i just know that ive been advised to stay clear of powders slower than imr4064 in that platform. could be that my sources err on the side of caution or that youve had amazing luck. godspeed man. </div></div>

Alot of the advice in cyber land is Lawyer correct, even then only to a point.
It's only when you stack all the weapon spec's, on the high or low side, will you normally have issues. That is why said powder selection vs bullet weight is talked about so much. Also there are those that want you to believe only their products will work safely, but if you dig far enough the bulk of those folks are selling something. Win one or more big match, and your the expert. Everything I learned about the 14 family, Uncle taught me in a classroom or out in the field from the 60's on, and I've still a lot to learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...i just know that ive been advised to stay clear of powders slower than imr4064 in that platform.</div></div>

That brings up a question. I've seen it listed as both faster and slower than I-4064. Has it been reformulated recently or are the sources that show it on the quicker side just wrong?

I've had good luck with surplus 173 grain mil match bullets (moly coated) and 42.9 grains of BLC2 in an M1A using CCI #34 primers. This load has also proved accurate in my bolt .308 too.