• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hats off to Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
Hats off to Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc as he was able to find and fixed my LH model 70 300 WSM scope alignment issue!

Despite changing scopes, mounts and rings three times my rifles POI was always 2’ left at 100 yards. I would use just about all of the windage on a scope to get it sighted in. I had three Dallas area g-smiths look it over and they all assured me my scope mount holes, bases and rings were in line with the center of the bore. Something was wrong I just didn't know what. I called and talked with Chad and he said send it on so I did. Now the accuracy of this mule kicker was pretty bad so I had Chad re-barrel the rifle while he had it. I figured once he blueprinted and trued the action put the new barrel on everything would line up and be good. I guess Chad thought that too as he said when he measured the scope mount holes were in alignment with the bore.

After all the work was done he took it to the range to take a few shots to check the alignment and accuracy. POI was 2’ feet left. He called on Friday and asked questions about scope/mounts and rings and if I had tried any other. I told him that was the third and completely different set. He was a bit perplexed and said he was going to take it all apart and re-measure everything and figure out what was misaligned. He called me on Saturday afternoon and said he finally figured out the problem and it was corrected and it only took four clicks of windage to get it sighted in. I’m not all sure what he actually found but said this problem really made him dig for an answer.

Many thanks Chad and I’m looking forward to getting the Model 70 back and to the range this week as well as getting my Tikka rebuild completed.

Re: Hats off to Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc

thats real nice to hear but it would be a whole lot better to hear what happened and what the fix was....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats real nice to hear but it would be a whole lot better to hear what happened and what the fix was....</div></div> He aimed 2 feet right! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats real nice to hear but it would be a whole lot better to hear what happened and what the fix was.... </div></div> I'd like to know what it was also.

A magician never reveals all of his secrets

If it was easy anyone could do it

Take your pick

If I was to guess,I would say the threads for the base screws probably were not in line with the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenShortMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I was to guess,I would say the threads for the base screws probably were not in line with the bore.</div></div>
The OP said this wasn't the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had three Dallas area g-smiths look it over and they all assured me my scope mount holes, bases and rings were in line with the center of the bore.</div></div>

Thats good news Jeff...and thats another reason why I have Chad building my next rifle as we speak...dang the wait!!

Brad Pitt really wants to know too

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0cmqwbZa6_w"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0cmqwbZa6_w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>