• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have wildcat, need Quickload calc.

MrSmith

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
4<
My rifle is finished. New cartridge, no data at all. Initial plans are for subsonic only but it could go faster if desired. Going to try Trailboss but I don't know if I have the case volume to reach my target of 1060 fps. 100% fill is 17.4 grains. Have the first round loaded with 14.0 grains so I have a little room to slowly increase as I get real velocity data. If I can get Trailboss to speed I plan to stay with it for the fill factor.

It would be greatly appreciated if I could provide someone with the information needed to make a Quickload calc on the estimated velocity attainable with Trailboss. If it isn't expected to get to around 1060 then if there is another viable powder to look at. I have run numbers in the Gordon Reloading Tool and it calc'd viable loads for both Vihtavuori N-340 and Unique. I have never used N-340 and Unique doesn't sound right with the bullet weight. Trailboss powder data has yet to be included in the Gordon database.

Can someone out there help me out?

Thank you,
MrSmith

Good point. Although basically just a straight wall case the dimensions are specific to only this round. I assumed someone might express interest and I would furnish the case and bullet dimensions they told me they needed. I am unfamiliar with the values Quickload needs for calculations. This case will not be in the database.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Hmmm .. That's good information. Is anyone aware of another reloading calculator that performs acceptably? I have looked at Powley and Gordon's but those and Quickload are the only ones I know of. And each has their limitations. As mentioned above, first fire will be done with Trailboss with the goal of reaching velocity and being done. This exercise is mainly just filling time because it's to wet at the range for a few more days.

Thank you,
MrSmith

South African 690 .50 Ball in a cut down (2.10") 300 RUM case.

Thank you,
MrSmith

I used .50-90 Sharps with a 700gr HPBT at coal of 3.062” with 17.4grs of TB (99.6% load density) and QL says 921FPS @ 29981psi in a 24” barrel.

But you can’t rely on it.

Agreed. Those values seem to indicate I am very likely, using TB, to run out of powder capacity before I get to 1060 plus or minus. And the barrel is 17", so it drops a bit further. I'll have to see how it ramps up from 14.0grs (80% of 17.4) when I get to the range.

If you get bored see what Unique looks like, keeping pressure below 40K. Gordons points to 19 grains, 1070, 33.5K. But their powder database acknowledges their info on Unique is not complete. And that is quite a bit of empty case, but I know you remember the days of Kapok. A practice best left in the past.

Planning on a suppressor, obviously. Powder burn out couple of inches from the end of the barrel?

Appreciate the help,
MrSmith

Last edited:
QL says 1094 from a 17” barrel.

21grs of Blue Dot does 1064 BUT at half the pressure- 22880psi.

100% burn on the Blue Dot? That one is interesting. Could spread the recoil impulse.

I get some real data on TB soon for a rough comparison to the estimate. It's drying up faster than I expected.

Will PM results if it's of interest.

Appreciated,
MrSmith

Last edited:
Yeah, 100% of the propellant consumed.

Another good one should be Universal Clays: 19grs, 57% case fill, 1077fps, 41749psi