• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Have you done it?

oldiephrt

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2020
I have been trying to research options for taking my .270WSM sporter and making it shoot the heavies. (160+) Have any of you done this? Did you stick with it after a season? What kind of velocity? My Google Fu sucks. I find remarks but, no firm, " Here's what I did...." thread. I think 1-8 twist, N570- N165 or equivalent powder. Thank you for any response.

I went ahead and ordered a barrel. be next year before I get to shoot it. Thanks for all the feed back.

It appears you might be the first? I’m kinda interested as it appears heavier bullets can get to max velocity in shorter barrels?

If I am still live next year I'll write up my experience. The barrel should finish 24", rounds have feed thru internal magazine. This is my primary (only) hunting rifle.

Well...... After 2 yrs I have finally put a couple of rounds through this project. Using the 170 Bergers 66grs (67grs min from a bullet man. 2.950COL) N570 loaded to COL of 2.855+- the ojive was just inside the case neck. The speed was 2900+ with just flattening primers. I was uncomfortable having that much jump/bullet in the case and I had the mag well/receiver milled .1" longer to accommodate a COL of 2.960"+. Meanwhile more searching led me to XXL Reloading site. If, I read correctly, 64.2 grs N570 is their recommended max at COL 2.82". I loaded 5 with 64grs 2.915+-(.005? off the lans) and they seemed much hotter at 2850's fps.
Question: 1. Does N570 need to fill the case to burn properly? Wide disparagement between load data
2. Has anyone used data from XXL
3. Am I over thinking(under thinking)
Match reamer from JPS and Bartlien 5R 1-8 Barrel at 24". Feeding from internal mag is as good as ever.