• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Having trouble deciding on a budget .223 target rifle build

Going to play devils advocate here and deviate from the rest of the group...

Take a look at the CZ 527 Varmint. You can pick up a .223 in a 1:9 twist 24" with a nice walnut stock (which you can sell if you decide to upgrade) for around $640 and it comes with factory rings, Factory equipment detachable single stack (5rd) steel box mags, a stupid simple user adjustable trigger which gives you an excellent quality pull (single set style, but if you don't like the set trigger you can just tighten up the adjustment screws and eliminate the option). Personally, I like the set trigger for target shooting and use the standard trigger for hunting. Action is a mini-Mauser type (controlled round feed) and mine is a hammer.

They made a version years ago called the Varmint Kevlar. Came from factory with an HS Precision stock (although some were fitted with B&C stocks after HS couldn't keep up enough production for CZ's needs). You can find them used on Gunbroker for reasonable prices. Looking, there's one now bid up to $300 but the reserve isn't met. Otherwise, HS Precision still sells stocks for them. Brownells has HS stocks for the 527 in stock right now for just over $300. Add a Triad Stock pack for a good cheek weld, and you're good to go with a nice first bolt action and no gunsmithing needed to increase your budget.

Total cost:
CZ 527 Varmint with included rings- ~$640
HS Precision Stock - ~$300
Triad Stock Pack - $45
Sell the Walnut stock on Rimfire Central for -$40 (those guys seem to horde anything CZ)

Total - Around $950 for a complete rifle setup with DBM, great trigger, and a quality stock with aluminum bedding block leaves you ~$500-650 for a good optic, or buy a decent optic and spend the rest on quality ammo or a reloading setup. Spare mags are about $35-40 straight from CZ.

Mine is a used Varmint Kevlar I picked up for less than a new 527 Varmint at my LGS that I've set mine up just how I described above. It shoots my 69gr SMKs into 100yd, 0.4" 5-shot groups (when I can keep it together). I've shot tons of 3-shot groups in the .2"-.3" range.

Only issue I've found with my rifle is that you have to be careful with your optic size, especially the ocular housing. The bolt clearance is not real wide, so lots of "tactical" scopes won't fit without really high rings. I'm using a Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x44 on mine. If you're only shooting 100-200yds, you really won't need tactical knobs and a 30mm tube anyways...a good 1" hunting scope with midrange magnification will work very well. Find one with a "Tactical" reticle if you really want the option to dope your shots.

e3cb358b4e426bd83b3c289d412b046f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot suggest this enough. Like you already said, if you could buy just the action and barrel you would be set. Well, the varmint comes with stock that has a good vertical grip, and a beavertail fore end. That already puts you ahead of most other rifles. It doesn't give you the ideal mag system but they do make extended mags and billet mags. Bottom metals are also easy to find. I found mine Tikka Varmint 1:8 223 for $745, if you got it for the same that would leave you $700-$800 for an optic. You could find used a Burris XTRii, PST GEN2, SWFA 3-15, or a bunch of others. Heck, you could buy a fixed powered SWFA for around $275-$350 and have money left over for a stock and or chassis. I found my McMillan on sale for $400 from their website. And with the new KRG Bravo chassis, the Bell and Carlson offerings and so forth there are alot of options available to you.
2ba8e60783b2cc934667c1289a2bebae.jpg
3416a3e18e168cc147d520c0c04bc210.jpg
166adc6c0419c7464f3614bc8374c664.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What bottom metal did you use on your .223?

Tikka over howa due to the 1:8 twist but if you just shoot to 400 eithier one would be the best options

We are changing the Howa twist rate to 1-8", waiting for the new production run to arrive in the next few months. these will be stamped with the twist rate on the barrel to avoid confusion going forward.

We are changing the Howa twist rate to 1-8", waiting for the new production run to arrive in the next few months. these will be stamped with the twist rate on the barrel to avoid confusion going forward.
That is great news. I wish they were closer to being released.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Going to play devils advocate here and deviate from the rest of the group...

Take a look at the CZ 527 Varmint. You can pick up a .223 in a 1:9 twist 24" with a nice walnut stock (which you can sell if you decide to upgrade) for around $640 and it comes with factory rings, Factory equipment detachable single stack (5rd) steel box mags, a stupid simple user adjustable trigger which gives you an excellent quality pull (single set style, but if you don't like the set trigger you can just tighten up the adjustment screws and eliminate the option). Personally, I like the set trigger for target shooting and use the standard trigger for hunting. Action is a mini-Mauser type (controlled round feed) and mine is a hammer.

They made a version years ago called the Varmint Kevlar. Came from factory with an HS Precision stock (although some were fitted with B&C stocks after HS couldn't keep up enough production for CZ's needs). You can find them used on Gunbroker for reasonable prices. Looking, there's one now bid up to $300 but the reserve isn't met. Otherwise, HS Precision still sells stocks for them. Brownells has HS stocks for the 527 in stock right now for just over $300. Add a Triad Stock pack for a good cheek weld, and you're good to go with a nice first bolt action and no gunsmithing needed to increase your budget.

Total cost:
CZ 527 Varmint with included rings- ~$640
HS Precision Stock - ~$300
Triad Stock Pack - $45
Sell the Walnut stock on Rimfire Central for -$40 (those guys seem to horde anything CZ)

Total - Around $950 for a complete rifle setup with DBM, great trigger, and a quality stock with aluminum bedding block leaves you ~$500-650 for a good optic, or buy a decent optic and spend the rest on quality ammo or a reloading setup. Spare mags are about $35-40 straight from CZ.

Mine is a used Varmint Kevlar I picked up for less than a new 527 Varmint at my LGS that I've set mine up just how I described above. It shoots my 69gr SMKs into 100yd, 0.4" 5-shot groups (when I can keep it together). I've shot tons of 3-shot groups in the .2"-.3" range.

Only issue I've found with my rifle is that you have to be careful with your optic size, especially the ocular housing. The bolt clearance is not real wide, so lots of "tactical" scopes won't fit without really high rings. I'm using a Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x44 on mine. If you're only shooting 100-200yds, you really won't need tactical knobs and a 30mm tube anyways...a good 1" hunting scope with midrange magnification will work very well. Find one with a "Tactical" reticle if you really want the option to dope your shots.

e3cb358b4e426bd83b3c289d412b046f.jpg

I did see a varmint Kevlar on gunbroker a bit ago but I wrote off the CZ 527 after seeing the varmint in person. I'm sure it shoots but the wood stock version was too lightweight.

So you don't want a factory rifle, but you don't even have the budget for a home rebarrel Savage/Remage setup. There really isn't an answer here. Pick one or the other.

Fact is, you can get a Ruger American and drop it into an aftermarket stock within your budget and have a .5 MOA rifle within your budget. I have a CHEAP Remington donor rifle I bought from Gander closout sale, bottom of the barrel, with .223 handloads worked up for my Rock River AR it's sub-.5 MOA. Almost hate to part it out, cheap plastic stock and all.

Seriously, if what you want is a .5 MOA rifle and you reload, plenty of FACTORY options.
At this point its going to come down to a factory rifle and a sub $400 stock or I'll go Howa BA and get a mid grade chassis/stock. I'm sure I can find a nice used scope to finish out my build especially if I'm patient.

I got to see a XLR Envy and Element in person yesterday and I was super impressed.

or I'll go Howa BA and get a mid grade chassis/stock.

KRG is discontinuing the 180-Xray Howa inlet, to be replaced by the Bravo. The Howa Bravo chassis, by itself, won't be for sale until sometime in the first qtr of next year because most (all?) production is going to Legacy Sports International which will be selling Howa rifles complete with the Bravo chassis already installed.

So in the meantime the Howa 180-Xray is on sale for $559 on the KRG website. I suggest picking one up and then waiting for a 223 barreled action in 1-8.

Or you can wait for the Howa Bravo rifle from Legacy Sports with an 1-8 twist.

What magazines do you use with the 223?

I'm not him but MDT plastic 10 rounders work pretty nice for me. Easy to load and reliable feeding.

Magpul needs to make some 223 AICS P-Mags. Whatever is holding them back I do not understand.

I did see a varmint Kevlar on gunbroker a bit ago but I wrote off the CZ 527 after seeing the varmint in person. I'm sure it shoots but the wood stock version was too lightweight.

Fair enough. Just wanted to provide another option. Good luck in your search.

What magazines do you use with the 223?
I'm not him but MDT plastic 10 rounders work pretty nice for me. Easy to load and reliable feeding.

Magpul needs to make some 223 AICS P-Mags. Whatever is holding them back I do not understand.
I'm planning to run Accurate 223 mags. I received my mag the other day but I'm having seating issues with my bottom metal. I'm waiting to bed my stock before I start hacking away at my mag catch. My buddy has a few MDT 223 mags that he is going to let me try out. I may just run the MDT mags due to price.

I'm planning to run Accurate 223 mags. I received my mag the other day but I'm having seating issues with my bottom metal. I'm waiting to bed my stock before I start hacking away at my mag catch. My buddy has a few MDT 223 mags that he is going to let me try out. I may just run the MDT mags due to price.

Is your MT bottom metal the CTR inlet that uses AICS mags?

Hi Folks,

I am shopping for my first long gun and I'm dizzy with all the build permutations. I could use some experienced guidance.

I'm looking to build a .223 caliber target rifle. I don't plan on competing or hunting with it. I'm just looking to put tight groups of holes in paper from a bench. My goal is sub MOA accuracy from 100 yards since that's the max distance available at my local range. Occasionally I'll have access to a 200 yard range. I'm aware of the limitations of the caliber beyond that range and frankly it's unlikely I'd ever have the opportunity to shoot 400 yards or more.

Aside from my caliber selection here's what's on my gotta have list -
  • Budget WITH A SCOPE $1,500 to $1,600. I'm starting with nothing and I've done enough research to understand the importance of good glass. I hope $600 to $700 is a realistic budget for a scope, otherwise I'm not sure it's possible to stay within budget.
  • 20 to 24" heavy barrel with 1:8 or 1:9 twist. I prefer 24" but I know my desire for a fast barrel kills Remington as an option outside of a 5-R, which I think is beyond my budget.
  • DBM
  • Built-in adjustable cheekpiece
  • No factory rifles unless it's to salvage parts. I know I can get sub MOA with plenty of off-the-shelf rifles but there isn't one in my price range with a stock I like.
Wishlist items -
  • I'd prefer to avoid contracting a gunsmith for any activities entirely but I realize it may be unavoidable with a DMB.
  • If I go with a 700 I'd love to have enough budget leftover to upgrade to a Timney or Jewell trigger.
  • I'm open to a laminate, synthetic, wood stock or aluminum chassis. Chassis would be my first choice but I think I can stretch my dollar farther with one of the other options.
If you've done a recent training rifle build with a similar budget I'd love to hear about it. Just for point of reference, I can get a new Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20" for $620 and a Howa 24" Barreled Action for about $520.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

I see your looking at barreled actions mostly to put into chassis, I'd look at the ruger precision rifle in .223 if I were you and not just because I own 1. It comes with a 1:7 barrel so heavy bullets are a very good option, they are extremely adjustable so it's easier to fit to you, and they are easily sub moa accurate. The only draw back is the firing pin on older models is oversized but I've heard that has been fixed.

since your limited to 100 to 200 yards why not get something like a 17 hmr? They're much cheaper and just as accurate

OP, I'll second the CZ 527 route. All steel and wood (unless you get the synthetic stocked M1), DBM, ±$650 retail delivered, 1:9 twist for up to 70gr projectiles and it groups 69 SMKs very well at 3140fps with BLC-2 and FC brass. I am ≥1300fps at 1000 yards at my elevation with the 69 SMKs too so don't short-sell the .223 Rem's capabilities.

The example below cost me $696:

$400 CZ 527 Varmint shipped (some weird online deal last year on GB)
$250 Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 50mm (2016 Xmas sale)
$45 30mm Warne rings
$56 ebay walnut stock
-$90 Laminate stock (sold the OE stock since I hate thumbhole stocks)
$30 Chinrese knockoff Atlas QD bipod.
$5 picatinny rail for bipod/QD sling attachment (Amazon)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s9.postimg.org\/v3uzdhowf\/527d.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Savage 10 BA Stealth 750$, used Burris XTRII or Sightron SIII for around 700-800$.

Last edited:
I've replied to a lot of these first rifle topics, and first off, I think your choice of the .223 is a very good one. It's OK for dispatching varmints out to about 200yd, but it's also far from finished at that distance. I have shot it in the 2017 SW LR National Competition F T/R 600yd Mid-Range stages, and it was not any kind if a disappointment.

In that comp, my Granddaughter was alongside me, and we shot two very different 223 rifles.

Mine was a Savage 11VT (a proprietary model handled by Dick's Sporting Goods and their subsidiary, Field and Stream). It is a Bolt Action D/M rifle with a 24" 1:9" Varmint weight barrel that stabilizes my 75gr Hornady HPBT-Match handloads. It comes with the AccueTrigger, a mounted 3-9x40 hunting scope, and a moderately shootable non-AccueStock. I remove the stock, scope, and mounts and go from there. The new scope is a Mueller 8-32x44 side parallax adjustable target dot scope with 1/8MOA clicks. The rifle currently retails for around $450,and the scope is another $259. I replace the original stock with a $229 Choate Tactical Stock. I mount it with a Weaver steel extended Picatinny rail and medium height Vortex 30mm 6-screw rings.

Each of these items has been in use by me for several years now, with no points of failure, yet are about as cheap as I can find that still meets the needs of F Class competition. The entire setup is precisely duplicated in another 1000yd capable F T/R rifle, chambered in .308. These rifles will probably not get you into the upper crust at the nationals, but for a new shooter, they are a very affordable, acceptably capable pair of rifles.

My Granddaughter's rifle is another economical solution to your challenge, a Stag Model 6 Super Varminter. Very recently, this offering has been replaced in the Stag line by their new Stag 15 Varminter, which appears to differ only in replacing the A2 stock with the incorporation of a fixed Magpul Stock. I have a pair of these Model 6's, one recently built up from the Stag Model 6 kit on a stripped Stag lower. The rifle and kit each come with a very capable Stag 2-stage trigger, a 24" 1:8" stainless bull barrel, and shoot my same Hornady 75gr handload quite well enough at the same 600yd distance.

My rifle has my third Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot scope in Nikon P-Series high 30mm mounts, and hers uses a Weaver Classic 6-24x40 scope in Weaver quad lock see-thru rings mounted directly to the upper rail.

If you take the opportunity to check out these factory firearms and accessories, I think you'll find that they go a long way toward meeting your stated goals. They constitute four of my five 223 rifles, to which I add a CMMG 16 Bull WASP Upper, and a 16" lightweight carbine upper of my own manufacture. The fifth rifle is a Mossberg MVP Predator 5.56. The D/M's for the Savage rifles can be upgraded to 10rd capacity by Dark Eagle Custom. None of my AR Uppers carry any kind of muzzle devices or threads, and I do not own any scopes with objectives larger than the 44mm ones on my three Muellers. All of my 223/5.56 rifles have Harris-clone BR height Bipods mounted for F Class competitions.

The handload I use can be very closely approximated using Hornady Superformance Match 75 grain 223 factory ammunition.

Greg

Last edited: