• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hawaii - Tsunami due in at 11:19 am local

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
In the last few hours Chile has had 3 earthquakes 8.8, 6.9, 6.2 magnitudes. Coastal areas of Hawaii have been evac'ed.

Get yer floaty wings.... hope you have some dry shit paper and clean water.

Good luck

Re: Hawaii - Tsunami due in at 11:19 am local

They are expecting the waves in Hawaii to be 6-7 feet high...not exactly a game changer. But to be forewarned is to be forearmed.
smile.gif

It's not necessarily the size of the wave but the tidal surge that's with it that causes all the damage. You could have a relatively small waves and a strong surge and still get massive damage. The size of the wave just makes the tidal surge just that much more damaging.

It they are giving evac orders or advisories I would take them at their word and get to higher ground.

Good luck to all those in the effected areas.

There may also be a smaller wave hitting California around 1225.

Thanks Mo, Updated time of arrival at Hilo is 11:05, moving faster than expected. Evacuations have begun but no one's getting outrageous yet. Emergency Operation centers are up and running state-wide. Kinda brings back memories from Am Samoa. You haven't lived until you hear the CD sirens going off in your neighborhood.

Moved the family away from the coast, checked in with unit and Soldiers - all good.

Bug out bag is sitting by the door, uniform hanging on the door. Just waiting for the call...

Gunfighter

I'm on Kaneohe Bay, HI. Estimated waves are .5 meters for Honolulu. Lets see what happens.

I have family there now. They were headed to ball field inland at last report. Based on what I am reading it doesn't sound like Thailand 2004.

Good luck

I would say that Waikiki beach should be kickin with these waves coming in onto the south side of Hi. I bet you have a bunch of surfers from north shore chompin at the bit and tryin to hit the waves down south ..... Tell the tourist to hang on...Hahaha
..........SmokeRolls

These are not typically surfs up kinds of events.
There are sudden increases and decreases in the overall level of water.
It's like tidal movements fast forwarded.

The only surf out there is from the winds. It's there either way.

The best footage so far are teh two surfers on the Kahala side of Oahu. Way back when Panty 6 and I sat on the cliffs of Diamondhead awaiting a tsunami. The whopping 7" wave was pure classic. Everyone up on hills, the islands shut down, and we Few drinking brews waiting for the big one to hit with our girls. Man those were the days! 19, a Marine, Hawaii, airplanes full of girls coming in every day...

It seems like HI dodged a bullet. I don't know much about oceanography so I have no idea if the tsunami threat was pretty legitimate or media hype. Either way, I'm glad folks are safe out there.

From my POV a lot was precaution based on the Indonesian tsunami. If you ever had to get somewhere in a hurry in a car on Oahu, you get a better feeling for why the CD folks issued the warning and evacuated the shoreline.

The real problem is the next one. Smart people will remember that tsunamis are unpredictable because they are masses of water moving at high speed but not visible to the casual observer. People think tidal waves are like the opening sequence to Hawaii 5-0 but its more like a flash flood. The Darwinian candidates are the ones who'll go down to the ocean and think they can surf something resembling a flash flood in a narrow canyon.

Gunfighter

I watched the whole thing right from the beach at the airport in Honolulu. It was like a quick set of high and low tides over a period of an hour. It just died by the time it got here.

Evaced to Kemoo's Pub, can't think of a worse place to ride out a natural disaster!