• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes HDMR Quality Control - UPDATE

Re: HDMR Quality Control - UPDATE

Excellent, sir. Having done that will certainly help them to know that this issue with the HDMR is not mine alone. While I cannot speak for other scopes or other users of other scopes, chromatic aberration can indeed blur a target sufficiently so that making a good shot can be affected. As an operator who "is there and doing that" PM'd me, if the CA blurs the boundary (boundaries) across a window of white venetian blinds, no never mind occluding the clarity of the interior of the room, then indeed just surveillance into the room can suffer, no never mind having to take a shot of the BG through that medium.

S/F

tony

I should have a HDMR TRemOR2 showing up very soon.

Unfortunately I only have a relatively small sample to view. There are a couple other shooters locally with various HDMRs. I did not notice any glaring CA, but then again I wasn't bench testing the scopes either.

At the end of the month we have our local match. I will try to get the guys I know to bring their so we can look at as large a sample as possible (although still likely to be statistically insignificant).

Every bit of data helps, sir. I'm convinced that Bushnell Performance Optics Division really does want to know WTF is going on with the HDMR; and my sense is that Todd and Steve over there are dead serious about that.

I will be glad to hear the final out come of it as i would like to buy 1 for a build that is going on. Don't need it yet so i will have to keep track of this. I am sure that if they want a piece of the pie it will be resolved and some added changes made from listing to what people want in the future. If not, it will be crash and burn baby.

As far as holding zero goes just shortly after I got mine zeroed it took a fall rifle and all onto gravel from a shooting bench about 3.5 feet from the ground and it had some slight rash on it but after a test fire the zero held true. Honestly it looks like you could hammer nails with this thing.. I have not yet seen any CA in my G2 HDMR and I am nothing but happy with it so far.

Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have a HDMR TRemOR2 showing up very soon.

Unfortunately I only have a relatively small sample to view. There are a couple other shooters locally with various HDMRs. I did not notice any glaring CA, but then again I wasn't bench testing the scopes either.

At the end of the month we have our local match. I will try to get the guys I know to bring their so we can look at as large a sample as possible (although still likely to be statistically insignificant). </div></div>

Ill be running one of mine next weekend, and Ill bring the other. Im sure Doc and Travis will as well.

Ill be running mine all next week at academi's mil/le sniper class. Ill also let you guys know how it works out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ill be running one of mine next weekend, and Ill bring the other. Im sure Doc and Travis will as well. </div></div>

Great. Hopefully I will have it here and mounted up.

Yep, Been, you're right about the guarantee, and that works for me as a customer. I think the broader issue is this: if there is an issue here, (and it seems there may be, as least for some users), for users who are in mission-critical contexts, to find out if this CA is what one would expect according to industry standards, well, that would provide a significant level of defensibility in a use of force case where the scumbag's lawyer was going after the DM alleging the CA occluded his perception. End of the day, I remain convinced that Bushnell Performance Optics is gonna do the right thing. (just my .02)

Got a letter from Bushnell about my scope, it was indeed defective and a replacement is on order. No details about when the replacement is due.

Thanks for your update, sir. Mine is supposed to arrive at Bushnell tomorrow. I'll post here as soon as I get feedback from Bushnell about the results of their evaluation of it. There are sure a bunch of apparently defective ones out there, judging by the PM's I've gotten from folks who have 'em.
frown.gif

I think you guys are jumping to a long term judgement based on short term product exposure. I have owned NF, IOR(3 and I love all 3), Leupold, and others. I just received my HDMR with the H-59 about a month ago. I was actually prepared to be dissapointed. On the contrary, I could not be more impressed. The scope is built extremely well. It is as solid as a 2X4, the glass is as good as my IOR's, the adjustment knobs are easy to use and easier to zero, and someone finally got a first focal plane reticle the right thickness!!

This is a new product being produced by a company that has a long history of making good quality scopes at reasonable prices. The quality control issues are no different than you see in new products from many companies. (GM, Ford, Chrysler come to mind)
I am sorry to hear that some of you have had issues but don't let those experiences sway your opinion just yet. Let's give Bushnell the opportunity to make the corrections needed before we pass final judgement. It certainly appears that their customer service is standing up and doing the right thing so far.

I am an experienced long range shooter and I could not be happier with my HDMR so far.

Sir,

well, this is the second scope I've sent back, so no snap-judgments here. I too believe that Bushnell will make it right, and I already have from them firm assurance that they will do that. As I noted above, when I hear from them I'll post here to update their findings and my decision with respect to what their findings are.

So, make no mistake: I'm jumping to no "snap" conclusions about the Bushnell HDMR. I'm just talking about how it is that I've had $1400 plus sitting out there since the first part of January and not a goddamn scope that works to show for it
laugh.gif
and tomorrow it's gonna be sunny and 63 degrees here and I've got the day off.

About 50% of the teams at the USASOC Sniper match were using the HDMR and the winning team WON with the HDMR. These are teams that can field practically any optic that they want. Also, these real world snipers , for the most part, don't give a rat's ass what name is on the product. They choose what works....and in this case the Bushnell product worked ,,,for the winning team and +25 others.

Well, I'd sure as hell like to be in that Elite bunch of shooters. Unfortunately, I'm way past the time I can re-up in USMC and change my MOS
laugh.gif
So, I'll settle for one that works for a civilian.
smile.gif

I just received in a GAP10 for painting with an HDMR up top and it is pristine in clarity to my eyes, same as the one I have on my GAP10. I put it with the NightForces that I have except at the max power setting.

Well, I'm sure glad they are working for you
smile.gif
And, from my perspective at least, it isn't just "from time to time." I've had two within a month
laugh.gif
That sound like "from time to time" to you?

None of us have enough data to come to any conclusions about what is really going on here. New product introductions have a way of pointing out the weaknesses in the engineering to manufacturing handoff as well as any processes or components which may be weak links. It is expensive and time consuming to weed all of the bugs out prior to introduction. When this is the case the consumer may end up completing that cycle.

You guys bitch because it takes Nightforce forever to come to market with a scope, but some companies are unwilling to have *ANY* question marks lingering above their products. For other companies, they may have taken all the steps they thought necessary and still miss something, are unaware of the potential for these type of issues or it's an eyes open financial decision. We really don't have enough evidence to decide in Bushnell's case.

John

copdoc,

That was not meant to be a shot at you.

I can understand your frustration.... my post was pointed more at all the guys chiming in saying, "Mine's fine", as if that proves something. My point is that we don't know anything other than you, and I and a few other guys got bad scopes. There are factual reasons. We may or may not like them.

I'm pretty sure I know where you stand.
wink.gif

John,

In that case, it's my bad, and I deeply apologize for my rant at you.
frown.gif
Sometimes I get a bit over the top and don't read carefully enough between the lines, So, again, I'm sorry. I'll be so cotton pickin' glad when I can just get a scope and go out to my range and start shooting.
smile.gif

tony

Tony,

No worries. I can be somewhat unemotional and removed because I have my son's Razor to use until I get mine. If I was in your position, the situation might be a little more tense on the home (and forum) front.
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received in a GAP10 for painting with an HDMR up top and it is pristine in clarity to my eyes, same as the one I have on my GAP10. I put it with the NightForces that I have except at the max power setting. </div></div>

Are you saying that the clarity takes a hit at max power? I read this by someone else as well, just want to clarify. Do you remember at which power setting this starts happening? I'm just curious as i plan on getting the HDMR with the H59 reticle sometime in March.

Thanks

Yes, at full power the clarity is not the same for me as it is at say 18 or 19. One also has to be very straight behind the reticle at full power to avoid some shadowing. It doesn't really bother me, but it does exist. It is a great scope but not a perfect scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys are jumping to a long term judgement based on short term product exposure. I have owned NF, IOR(3 and I love all 3), Leupold, and others. I just received my HDMR with the H-59 about a month ago. I was actually prepared to be dissapointed. On the contrary, I could not be more impressed. The scope is built extremely well. It is as solid as a 2X4, the glass is as good as my IOR's, the adjustment knobs are easy to use and easier to zero, and someone finally got a first focal plane reticle the right thickness!!

This is a new product being produced by a company that has a long history of making good quality scopes at reasonable prices. The quality control issues are no different than you see in new products from many companies. (GM, Ford, Chrysler come to mind)
I am sorry to hear that some of you have had issues but don't let those experiences sway your opinion just yet. Let's give Bushnell the opportunity to make the corrections needed before we pass final judgement. It certainly appears that their customer service is standing up and doing the right thing so far.

I am an experienced long range shooter and I could not be happier with my HDMR so far. </div></div>

May I ask which one you have purchased?

I am not sure I really know what chromatic aberration is. Sounds to me like some kind of ghostly thing. That being said, this scope is not a Hensoldt or Schmidt & Bender. On that same token, it also costs about 1/3 the price of these scopes. For what these HDMR's cost, I am surprised at all the fuss about them. They are a wonderful scope for the money. Are they perfect? No...but then again, I have seen scopes costing 3 times the money with problems as well. Which would you be more upset about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure I really know what chromatic aberration is. </div></div>

Chromatic Abberation

Look at the blue blocking in Promisedland Guns tag in your sig. That's a decent example of what pronounced CA looks like in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what these HDMR's cost, I am surprised at all the fuss about them. </div></div>

Apparently the fuss is plenty justified by those in a better position to judge. Bushnell is a lot more concerned about this than you are, and reasonably so. We should not have to pay $3500 to get a reasonable optic and there are plenty of scope manufacturer's that have figured out how to do that at or near the HDMR's pricepoint. The Razor, IOR and SS 5-20 are all excellent examples of full-featured optics in the HDMR's range with outstanding optical quality.

You are sending absolutely the wrong message to manufacturers when you say that you have low expectations from an optic that costs $1600. It is idiotic what is happening to the upper ranges of the rifle optic market and it is partially driven by comments such as yours.

John

Are you stating that you are seeing chromatic aberrations in these scopes to the level as that in his signature line ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Razor, IOR and SS 5-20 are all excellent examples of full-featured optics in the HDMR's range with outstanding optical quality.
</div></div>

So you are saying that ALL of those scopes produced are perfect? Hopefully not. I have an HDMR with no CA and I know of many others that do not have it as well. What I am saying is that what you are experiencing is a mistake in production. Every company makes mistakes. And at the price point these are sold at, more mistakes are to be expected. As long as they are taken care of then it is all good in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you stating that you are seeing chromatic aberrations in these scopes to the level as that in his signature line ? </div></div>

Actually, my example was quite dramatic. Perhaps not as bad as his sig
wink.gif
, but tree branches that had fairly sharp edges, good contrast and were clearly brown in color with the Razor (only scope I had for comparison at the time) were fuzzy and purple fringed and there was no real way of telling what the color of the branch was because the fringing was so pronounced.

762frmafr,

Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were rationalizing that it was acceptable and normal to expect at this pricepoint.

I cannot comment on rate of failure. My samples groups are too small.
wink.gif
Perhaps one of our many optics representatives could chime in, but I'd be surprised.

John

If I had a scope with CA to that level I would be upset also

FWIW, my second one is now in the hands of Bushnell Performance Optics, at least according to UPS tracking info. I'm hopeful that there will be evaluative data available to me soon. I'll post it here when I have it.

As far as if this is an issue for these scopes to exhibit CA or not, it clearly is. Bushnell is working on making it right, so that is the best indication. Second this scope is in the same price range as nightforce, ior, SS, leupy, and others. If any of those scopes had the same issue, they would be back on the truck.

It looks to me like there was a minor alignment issue with the lenses from the factory. It also looks like most of the guys having issues are from the group buy of some of the earliest scopes. Like Amy new product there are issues. No big deal.

I like this scope enough that I am thinking of selling my NF for another one. If bushnell gets 10mil turns and illumination this scope would easily be a benchmark in it's class.

I purchased 2 HDMRs directly from HORUS with the Tremor 2 Reticle.I have the exact problem with etxreme CA in both Optics from the lowest magnification all the way up to 21X in low light conditions and on bright Sunny days.As far as the optic itself its built like a tank.Overall it seems to be very well made and am pleased with the clarity of the glass.Not as good as NF,but pretty close.You can tell the diffrence though in clarity between the two Brands.
I am dealing with the Head of Customer Service directly and both optics have been shipped off.The Customer service department so far has been pleasant and reassuring.I was given a personal line to contact them directly and was told this matter would be resolved quickly.I will give an update when I find something out.

I am able to get a bit of this chromatic aberration in my scope if I intentionally get a bad cheek weld and put myself in a improper position on the scope. I have not noticed it before, but this thread got me wondering. I must get squared behind the scope perty good naturally and just never saw it.

Out of curiosity, I just performed the same test using one of my NightForce NXS and got the same results. I could see the same levels of Chromatic Aberration when out of position and none when in position. I would not be able to shoot the rifle to get out of position enough to cause the CA in either.

This is what they are talking about the one I have here you can see it,

CABushnell.jpg

Really crappy picture as I just did it off the cuff but you can clearly see the blue / purple and the yellowing around the edges. Distance thins it out a bit, but clearly if you look, you can see it around the edges of white and other areas.

Is it there, clearly yes. Can you over look it, well I think being behind it you might but odds are not really. It's present.

Sir, could you explain a bit more what you mean when you say:

" I would not be able to shoot the rifle to get out of position enough to cause the CA in either."

thanks, tony

I had changed my cheek weld and eye position enough to create the CA to the point where I would not be able to shoot the weapon due to the way I was cheeked up. Any natural cheek weld for me would not produce the CA, but getting out of position could create it and did so on my NXS the same as the HDMR. Purple fringing up top and yellow underneath.

I was using a white railed fence at about 50 yards in bright sunshine to produce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what they are talking about the one I have here you can see it,

CABushnell.jpg

Really crappy picture as I just did it off the cuff but you can clearly see the blue / purple and the yellowing around the edges. Distance thins it out a bit, but clearly if you look, you can see it around the edges of white and other areas.

Is it there, clearly yes. Can you over look it, well I think being behind it you might but odds are not really. It's present. </div></div>

Yep, this is what I am seeing also. Notice it is against a white background as well. Hardrock's targets are the same. Nice pretty blue Hue.

It is overcast outside here, and the sun isn't a factor right now, but even still the results are pretty easy to see. Especially on the edges of objects.

In the sunlight you can expect more, it will flare up with more color which can tint the sight picture. Open range out to distance depending on what is between you and the target, it might not matter, but i can block out a bit of the sight picture depending on the distance and circumstance of the shot.

They are not splitting hairs, it's definitely there.

Got it
smile.gif
thanks for the explanation. Question for you: do you notice any of it with good cheek weld, but rifle is canted?

I have two HDMRs here and both exhibit this anomaly. I have been killing stuff with one of them for a couple months and never once noticed this aberration in the field, but in bright sunshine on a close up white target you can sure see it. I would likely never have noticed if not for this thread piquing curiosity.

Oh, thanks a lot guys, I am now blind from looking through the scopes in bright sunlight at a close up white target. My eyeballs are now chromatic aberrations hahahaha