• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

He cocked up the Suez Canal

FB_IMG_1616908501990.jpg

Reactions: MCSO1357
A question. Are these cargo ships like airplanes in their control guidance systems? A pre planned course for XYZ port and basically those on the bridge are there to monitor and handle certain tasks?
Is there a possibility that the system could have been hacked?
Some of y'all know this shit. I am just throwing it out there.

Reactions: Eddystone
A question. Are these cargo ships like airplanes in their control guidance systems? A pre planned course for XYZ port and basically those on the bridge are there to monitor and handle certain tasks?

Similar questions were raised when the USN was crashing frigates into giant cargo vessels.

The official report seems to indicate training and crew fatigue as the root cause though.

There is an Egyptian pilot (local water way expert) on board normally during the transit, giving specific instructions to the bridge, even as narrow has telling them to adjust speed by 1 kt and/or heading by 1 degree.

Anything is possible but it's 9x more likely poor training or malfunctioning equipment are root cause.

I had heard mention that there's a protocol for harbors in the USA. Where the ship is boarded like you say. I just wondered about the auto pilot system. If it could have been hacked before entering the canal prior to boarding. Trying to figure out the penis pattern that was tracked.
Those guys that captain those ships are in a higher income level to do something like that.
There is an Egyptian pilot (local water way expert) on board normally during the transit, giving specific instructions to the bridge, even as narrow has telling them to adjust speed by 1 kt and/or heading by 1 degree.

Anything is possible but it's 9x more likely poor training or malfunctioning equipment are root cause.
Something doesn't add up.

This is better than the time a SH member got a cleaning rod stuck in his barrel and all of SH had advice on how hard to hit the rod to get it more stuck.

Stay tuned for:

Heat that ship w a torch and whack it w a hammer. 😂🤣😂

All I know is this dude was friends or related to the Naval Aviator who few Dick Pics in the sky.

Stay tuned for more Bear Pit.....

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu and BytorJr
So...no one on here is going to discuss the nefarious gossip associated with this little mess?

Upon my first read of your post, I figured that the aforementioned "gossip" was the usual conspiracy-theory garbage - this is an attempt to jack up oil prices, this is Iran messing with the US Navy, this is Israel doing something evil, that sort of stuff.

And then I made the mistake of browsing through a few posts on Telegram last night. Phew. Let me see if I can provide a brief summary:

- Evergreen is the shipping company that operates this vessel, as well as the tractor-trailer that crashed in China last week. "Evergreen" was also supposedly the code name assigned by the Secret Service to Hillary Clinton. Connect the dots, people! And you do have to connect them yourself, because the people pointing out this coincidence certainly ain't figuring out anything beyond this point. If I'm not mistaken, the allegation is that the Ever Given is somehow connected to child trafficking.

- The Ever Given was traveling to Rotterdam, which is a sister city to Baltimore, which is the city that was blown up in the movie version of Sum Of All Fears (read the book instead; that multi-page sequence covering the first few milliseconds of a nuclear explosion is a masterpiece of technical writing). More dot-connecting required on behalf of the reader, but presumably, we are to believe that the Ever Given contains some sort of WMD.

Why either one of these scenarios resulted in the ship wedged sideways in a muddy canel are a mystery to unenlightened peabrains like myself. It would seem that we are to believe that the SEALS or Q or Trump himself inserted into this ship and deliberated ran it aground to reveal the horrors contained within, thus forming the mother of all red pills (hereafter known as MOARP). I bet there is a flat-earth angle to this as well.

What we really need right now is a bunch of uncropped screenshots from our erstwhile Q expert Skewrel :ROFLMAO:

🧻 🧻 :ROFLMAO:

The route traveled, was just asking for grounding. And 220.000 tons running aground at 13 knots is bound to get seriously stuck

Meanwhile they did manage to pivot the ship

ExoLTQZWQAAf5fy

Last edited:
Upon my first read of your post, I figured that the aforementioned "gossip" was the usual conspiracy-theory garbage - this is an attempt to jack up oil prices, this is Iran messing with the US Navy, this is Israel doing something evil, that sort of stuff.

Given the tendency to blame Russians for anything and everything, am waiting for this.

At least Egyptians get to try and build another pyramid :devilish:
20548_900.jpg

Last edited:

It’s my understanding and that any transit that requires a pilot on board like this canal or a lock you can’t run any autopilot system and the ship has to be manually controlled. I’m pretty sure that’s just standard across the board in all countries too.

This particular ship also apparently had two pilots on board, not uncommon at all on all the large ships during difficult transits. The captain is also still the master of the ship and can override the pilots command if they believe they’re making a bad call but that’s frowned upon. You also have to consider the power trip factor where this person gets to be temporarily in charge for a period of time. The one time I’ve been aboard a large vessel during a crossing with a pilot I witnessed that first hand.

There was a bad wind storm coming from the worst possible direction and the weather data and also the GPS data all support it was blowing the ship all around. The tall flat sides of the containers just make it a huge sail and when Mother Nature decides you’re going to go X direction, sometimes there’s not a whole hell of a lot you can do about it, especially at low speed. They were hovering right along that right shallow side of the canal and once it turned a little and dug into the sand there was no steering it back with the rudder, thrusters, or anything. Also no stopping that big bitch until she stops.

A lot of people have been talking about system issues because of the holding pattern on the GPS data before they entered the canal. That’s not abnormal at all. A ship can sit for days waiting at a crossing and they’re normally anchored. When it’s anchored it blows all around if/when the wind changes directions. But say you have a 1/4 mile long boat and the GPS beacon is at the rear (usually is on container ships) and the anchors are at the front (always is) you’d make a 1/2 mile diameter circle when the wind blows you around assuming the anchor is straight down which isn’t possible. If the water is 200’ deep then they may have as much as 1400’ of anchor out so factoring in depth and line angle that’s another 1000’ ish behind the anchor point. So now your 1/2 mile diameter circle is almost doubled. If the water is deeper (probably is) you have even more line out.

The holding pattern really isn’t strange. They may also have the raise the anchor and reposition due to another anchored ship blowing their direction. When they finally get underway again they also may not be able to make a straight line to the inlet due to other vessels in the way, obstructions under water, needing to get properly positioned in the convoy, or just they were pointing the wrong direction and had to make a loop to get their heading. I’d put my money on the latter being the case since it looks like they turned into the wind to loop around.

With that said, that should have been a clue to wait out the storm. Bottom line is that both the captain and pilots made some bad fucking calls. The question is what led to those bad calls. Inexperienced pilots? Pressure on the captain to deliver the cargo by a deadline? They should have waited out the storm to cross. At the end of the day it doesn’t seem like anyone was hurt, it just delayed some chicom junk getting to Europe and some oil getting to a war torn country that should probably get cut off anyway. That’s all they’ve been bitching about anyway.

I’ve rather enjoyed the entertainment from it since I’m a nerd and like this kind of stuff.

This is better than the time a SH member got a cleaning rod stuck in his barrel and all of SH had advice on how hard to hit the rod to get it more stuck.

Stay tuned for:

Heat that ship w a torch and whack it w a hammer. 😂🤣😂

All I know is this dude was friends or related to the Naval Aviator who few Dick Pics in the sky.

Stay tuned for more Bear Pit.....

NO YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO FREEZE THE SHIP AND SHRINK IT.

SUCH BAD ADVISE HERE IN EVERY FORUM.

(Sorry for the caps, not typing that shit again)

Someone in one of these related threads mentioned an Iowa class battle ship passing through Suez at combat speed to get to the Gulf during the start of our never ending war period.

Anyone got a video of that?

Got to imagine kids on the side banks selling schwarmas experienced the Bali tidal wave.

I’ve rather enjoyed the entertainment from it since I’m a nerd and like this kind of stuff.
so are you saying the "cock" was unintentional and caused by anchoring/re-anchoring outside the canal? and thus perhaps the crash was unintentional?

Resident Admiral @308pirate

Any comments on this cockup or are you sticking to your expertise in propulsion and avoiding having an argument with someone that has never seen the ocean let alone been in a boat.

Reactions: Ravenworks
so are you saying the "cock" was unintentional and caused by anchoring/re-anchoring outside the canal? and thus perhaps the crash was unintentional?

I’d say the cock shape is most likely the wind pushing the boat around while anchored, but if the first mate turned to the captain and said “bet you can’t draw a dick with the GPS pattern” to pass the time then I certainly couldn’t blame the guy. I know what I’d do 😂

I do believe that the crash was 100% unintentional. Data supports that it was pushed by wind.

We just need to come to the realization that the "Cock Pattern" is accepted SOP when any piloted vessel is put in a holding pattern.

Its an efficient trained practice as it keeps the pilot sharp trying to draw the best penis possible rather than the ennui sure to follow if asked to go in endless circles.

Imagine the time saved also in chewing out Junior Flight Lts in which we have invested heavily in their training.

I’d say the cock shape is most likely the wind pushing the boat around while anchored, but if the first mate turned to the captain and said “bet you can’t draw a dick with the GPS pattern” to pass the time then I certainly couldn’t blame the guy. I know what I’d do 😂

I do believe that the crash was 100% unintentional. Data supports that it was pushed by wind.

If the wind blows on the "Cock Pattern" does it get bigger?

so slightly off-topic, but if there was this massive global warming that is happening and sea levels are rising because everyone here touches themselves and drives a gasoline powered car, wouldnt the rise in sea level be the MOST evident in this canal? and wouldnt it make passage through the canal easier?

obviously, in this situation, a few inches or a foot of depth wouldnt have mattered. thats not true for everything else though.

I had heard mention that there's a protocol for harbors in the USA. Where the ship is boarded like you say. I just wondered about the auto pilot system. If it could have been hacked before entering the canal prior to boarding. Trying to figure out the penis pattern that was tracked.
Those guys that captain those ships are in a higher income level to do something like that.

Something doesn't add up.

Not this shit again..............

Autopilot hacked? Not sure how since it's not connected to the fucking internet and they don't run on any off the shelf operating system.

Even if it had been, which is about as likely as Putin making the ship run aground, all you have to do to defeat the hack is push the AP disconnect button. Even if that didn't work, flick a breaker and kill power to the AP. Even if that doesn't work, call down engineering and have them take local control of steering and engine orders.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
This thing was not moving much slower before the cockup than Iowa on cruise speed and Ever Given is 4x the Iowa weight and has far less slender hull design than the battleships had, so is making a much bigger wake than Iowa.

Warships by default have very slender hulls (aside from CVN and some support ships) and make far less of a wake than most commercial ships

Last edited:
so slightly off-topic, but if there was this massive global warming that is happening and sea levels are rising because everyone here touches themselves and drives a gasoline powered car, wouldnt the rise in sea level be the MOST evident in this canal? and wouldnt it make passage through the canal easier?

obviously, in this situation, a few inches or a foot of depth wouldnt have mattered. thats not true for everything else though.

Reading a great book right now.

Last Stands, Why men fight when all is lost

Author Michael Walsh is very conservative.

Had a neat footnote last night I didnt think of in regards to North Africa.

He noted most of the Alexandria that Alexander the Great built is underwater and this occurred prior to our industrial revolutions.

He is pointed in his footnote stating "Natural climate change" not "Man Made" climate change.

and as an aside.....

Our current Climate Czar and his prior boss both invested heavily on island living - go figure.

Reactions: Charger442
when you stop to think that ONE FUCKING SHIP can gum up the entire global shipping, it makes you realize just how big of a house of cards it all is.

and then add in them saying they “can not get it unstuck”....blow the fucking thing out of there and be done with it.

Bullshit.

Call some oil field boys from Texas. Ill bet they can get it out of there.

Reactions: Texasflyer
Not this shit again..............

Autopilot hacked? Not sure how since it's not connected to the fucking internet and they don't run on any off the shelf operating system.

Even if it had been, which is about as likely as Putin making the ship run aground, all you have to do to defeat the hack is push the AP disconnect button. Even if that didn't work, flick a breaker and kill power to the AP. Even if that doesn't work, call down engineering and have them take local control of steering and engine orders.

Hey Dude all you have to do to keep a 737 Max flying is toggle off the MCAS.....just saying.

It all seems pretty simple to avoid.

If a ship is that large, don't let it go through that narrow assed canal with high winds.

Park your ass out there until the winds drop to safe levels.

We've got very high bridges here that span the bay. When the winds are very strong, the first one to close is the Sunshine Skyway.
Yeah, it fucks up travel and it fucks with commerce, but it's temporary because it's based on weather, not a catastrophe.

WAAS enabled GPS accurate enough to allow airliners to shoot gps approaches, inertial navigation accurate enough to taxi an airliner to its gate, chart plotter slaved to the aforementioned WAAS GPS, RADAR navigation trained masters and pilots, I don’t believe a “sandstorm” blinded them and caused them to go off course.

Reactions: Clob McStrunk
This thing was not moving much slower before the cockup than Iowa on cruise speed and Ever Given is 4x the Iowa weight and has far less slender hull design than the battleships had, so is making a much bigger wake than Iowa.

Warships by default have very slender hulls (aside from CVN and some support ships) and make far less of a wake than most commercial ships

Read something recently about Iowas hull shape and that the slender nose bulging to a wide beam created a unique wave issue.

It was very hard for smaller ship to come along side the big ship because my impression is the waves rather than follow the hull were directed out at the transition from bow to midships.

Bummed peeps out because packing 2 million plus gallons of fuel an Iowa could also serve as an oiler.

Surprised that big fuck EverGiven could do what the Iowa does for speed.

Read something recently about Iowas hull shape and that the slender nose bulging to a wide beam created a unique wave issue.

It was very hard for smaller ship to come along side the big ship because my impression is the waves rather than follow the hull were directed out at the transition from bow to midships.

Bummed peeps out because packing 2 million plus gallons of fuel an Iowa could also serve as an oiler.

Surprised that big fuck EverGiven could do what the Iowa does for speed.

In the nautical world, speed is closely linked to hull length so these fucking juggernauts are relatively fast by default. Not in terms of top speed as much as in terms of cruise speeds.

Battleships were particularly fast (long slender hulls) , many of today's warships barely cruise much faster than big cargo ships of course warships can push higher top speeds but then the fuel burn increases to an alarming rate.

Arleigh Burke cruises for 4+k miles at about 20kn which is slower than some of the cruise liners, but it can sprint past 30kn, but then range drops to maybe 1k miles.

Last edited:
In the nautical world, speed is closely linked to hull length so these fucking juggernauts are relatively fast by default. Not in terms of top speed as much as in terms of cruise speeds.

Froude's Number is what you're looking for. Actual speed also depends on power. Merchant ships will never reach their theoretical max hull speed because the owners have no need to pay the fuel bill to do so.

Where did you get your naval architect degree from?

WAAS enabled GPS accurate enough to allow airliners to shoot gps approaches, inertial navigation accurate enough to taxi an airliner to its gate, chart plotter slaved to the aforementioned WAAS GPS, RADAR navigation trained masters and pilots, I don’t believe a “sandstorm” blinded them and caused them to go off course.

The wind that blew the sand could have drifted the ship at a rate too fast for the rudder and engine to overcome in such a narrow waterway.

Merchant ships are universally single screw, so differential engine power can't be used to increase the rate of turn like you can with twin screw vessels (most combatant warships)

They also have dismal acceleration and reversing ability compared to combatant warships.

Bow thrusters (if this ship even had them) can tighten the turn somewhat but don't do anything for headway.

GPS accuracy has fuck all to do with how the ship responds to wind and current.

What's your bridge watchkeeping experience, again?

Last edited:
Arleigh Burke cruises for 4+k miles at about 20kn which is slower than some of the cruise liners
LOL

Even if true, the economics of cruise ships aren't the same as those of container ships.