• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

He cocked up the Suez Canal

The wind that blew the sand could have drifted the ship at a rate too fast for the rudder and engine to overcome in such a narrow waterway.

Merchant ships are universally single screw, so differential engine power can't be used to increase the rate of turn like you can with twin screw vessels (most combatant warships)

They also have dismal acceleration and reversing ability compared to combatant warships.

Bow thrusters (if this ship even had them) can tighten the turn somewhat but don't do anything for headway.

GPS accuracy has fuck all to do with how the ship responds to wind and current.

What's your bridge watchkeeping experience, again?
More than yours I’ll wager

More than yours I’ll wager

I mean in real life, like the Navy or merchant marine. Not in computer games.

I also mean in a position of responsibility like officer of the deck/officer of the watch. Not brass polisher, lookout, or phone talker.

LOL

Even if true, the economics of cruise ships aren't the same as those of container ships.
Literally first random ship i picked on a map mid Atlantic is cruising faster than Arleigh Burke

true that ships around her are slower ,but the rust bucket on its way from US to Antwerp is doing 21.1kn , maybe it lightly loaded or has wind in the back .....in any any case track shows average for today is 20.8 knots and top 22.7kn

* am not a naval architect but used to build racing sailboats for a while.

2021-03-29_17h03_40.png

showphoto.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenworks
I mean in real life, like the Navy or merchant marine. Not in computer games.

I also mean in a position of responsibility like officer of the deck/officer of the watch. Not brass polisher, lookout, or phone talker.
I’ll tell you what faggot I’ll take a picture of my masters certificate issued by the merchant marine and you take a picture of yours and we will see what kind of loud mouth bullshit artist you are

Reactions: Ravenworks
I’ll tell you what faggot I’ll take a picture of my masters certificate issued by the merchant marine and you take a picture of yours and we will see what kind of loud mouth bullshit artist you are

If you have a master's license, why do I have to tell you what happens to a big ass boxy ship with no automated station keeping in a windy, narrow, shallow channel?

Anyway, you fucks step aside for the pilot when coming in and out of port. That doesn't happen in the Navy. Let me know when's the last time you conned your ship next to an oiler for RAS, or went into and out of port without the help of tugboats, or kept station behind a carrier for plane guard.

you know, real shiphandling and seamanship.....

All that shit talk and No credentials..

USN Surface Warfare Officer. Qualified as officer of the deck, CIC watch officer, and watch navigator, and did all three on a frigate underway, at GQ, and leaving and entire port.

On top of that qualified and stood watches as propulsion plant watch officer on one of our aircraft carriers after graduating from USN Nuclear Power School.

A bit of cheesy reporting 🧻

Ship carrying 20 containers filled with sex toys that had been caught in Suez Canal traffic jam will now be able to complete its delivery as crisis reaches its climax. :eek:

Speaking to Dutch news outlet RTV Noord, CEO of the company EDC Retail Evertine Magerman said: 'There are more than twenty containers full of well-running items, such as vibrators, dildos and male masturbators.

'A lot of these products were sold for Christmas and Valentine's Day, for example.
'There is now an extra lot on the way to restore stocks. But that is not possible now.
'It is annoying that such a hitch will continue for a long time before the rhythm in the transport chain is restored.'

Last edited:
Reactions: RGStory
1617056953380.png

The Krauts can pull this off... then it should not be hard to transit the Suez unless you are a retard.

Wind? No, I don't think so. I think incompetence.

There has been wind in the Suez since it opened more than 100 years ago. It was running in WW1... without retarded captains and pilots cocking it up. The Suez Crisis involved blowed-up crap ships. Not groundings.

I see incompetence here at every level. All those involved need to be taken out to sea and thrown overboard. Pilot, captain, first officer, meteorologist, cabana boy, Wolff-Blitzer, Al Gore... whatever.

This was a cockup of HUMAN proportions. So expunge them from the gene pool.

Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

i have navigated the colorado river by lightning, changing heading with each strike. :p

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
And primers got stuck again , not to mention all the TP :ROFLMAO:

Italian Tanker Blocks Traffic In Suez Due To Engine Failure​

Shipping firm Sharaf Group reported that traffic in the Suez has been halted after another tanker was stricken with engine trouble. Data from tankertrackers.com showed the blockage in the northbound lane, along with a handful of tugboats dispatched to aid the ship.

Bloomberg identified the Italian tanker Rumford as the culprit, and quoted the Sharaf Shipping Agency saying in a note to clients that the ship "caused blocking for all vessels transiting" the canal.

The Suez Canal Authority "took immediate action and tried to remove the vessel form channel using their tugs" said Sharaf, which helps manage traffic in the waterway. Tanker "had a black out whilst she was transiting the SC within the northbound convoy" the SCA said. The blockage started at 1015 local time Tuesday.

So from now on are we going to get a news alert on global shipping slow downs anytime a crew member on a freighter in the Suez has hard gas?