• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

head space question

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
I have just recently started reloading for a new 6.5x47. This rifle was built by a local builder and this thing will shoot no matter what you feed it. I do however have a question about headspace. I noticed that when I set my FL die to bump the shoulder back .002, it will not knock the primer out and the neck has only been sized about 3/4 of the way. BTW it is a redding type s. So it seems that im either going to live with pulling the primers out with vice grips or push my shoulder back .003-.005 more than it needs to be. any suggestions?
e9b8083e.jpg

Re: head space question

The length of the decapping assembly is adjustable. You can unscrew the assembly, lengthen it, then tighten the lock washer again. The bushing only needs a small bit of space to move. Tighten the decapping assembly till it hits the bushing. Back it off like a 32nd of a turn and tighten the lock washer. If it still doesn't pop the primer, loosen the lock washer on the bottom and thread the rod out a turn or two and try again. The shaft length is adjustable. The actual decapping pin length is static.

Just my $00.02: I deprime as seperate process using just a de-priming die. That avoids any and all other issues with resizing. However as mentioned, you can simply adjust the de-priming pin and that should resolve your issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The length of the decapping assembly is adjustable. You can unscrew the assembly, lengthen it, then tighten the lock washer again. The bushing only needs a small bit of space to move. Tighten the decapping assembly till it hits the bushing. Back it off like a 32nd of a turn and tighten the lock washer. If it still doesn't pop the primer, loosen the lock washer on the bottom and thread the rod out a turn or two and try again. The shaft length is adjustable. The actual decapping pin length is static. </div></div>

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ As described in the above post, there are two adjustments in your S die that will cure your two issues. I'll go over it again.

1- For the primer punching issue, unscrew the die and unscrew the lock nut on the primer punch shaft. Unscrew the shaft a turn or two, this will lengthen the primer pin rod. You don't have to go too much. Reseat the lock screw.

2- For sizing the neck fully, loosen the top lock ring on the outside of the die near the top and take the die apart to put in your bushing. Screw the die stem all the way down until it hits the bushing. Now, unscrew (counter clockwise) the stem top about 1/12th of a turn. This will allow the bushing to move slightly inside the die and it will fully size the neck.

In most cases, you will have a hard time removing the "sized" case from the shell holder, if the spent primer doesn't pop out? All of this is covered in "reloading 101", that little instruction pamphlet that came with your die set. BB

My instructions were missing. And I'm using a co-ax press so no trouble removing cases. Thanks for the instructions on how to make the adjustments.