• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Head stamp doesn’t match…does it matter?

Adam Nicholson

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2023
600 yard range
I recently purchased a case of Federal American Eagle 55 grain .223 boat-tail. It was packed loose in a sealed plastic bag.

When it arrived I noticed that the head-stamp looked different from the last time I purchased a case of AE boat tail. You'll notice in the picture that the head-stamp for the new round on the right says "LC" (presumably for Lake City") whereas the old version says "FC."

Was I shipped the wrong case?

Attachments

• 611B4387-BA2E-4759-B2EA-8AC52FAFCEF2.jpeg
    611B4387-BA2E-4759-B2EA-8AC52FAFCEF2.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 116
Likely swapped brass supplier?

I like lc better anyways... probably consider that a win unless bullet or something else is out of spec.

Likely swapped brass supplier?

I like lc better anyways... probably consider that a win unless bullet or something else is out of spec.
That's intersting. Winchester runs Lake City currently (until 2027), so it's odd that Federal used LC brass (maybe it was auctioned/sold off as surplus production over run?).

Reactions: msgriff
Finally, before you fire, check that the ammo box, ammunition head stamp and barrel stamp correspond to the correct cartridge calibre, gauge and length.

Thank you, genius.

This is not even correct advice in many situations, i.e., 38 special in 357 or 5.56 in a 223.

Please make educated and correct comments that are not misleading.

Old stock. I would assume Federal had the lines going hard before they lost the contract and it's still trickling through the supply line.