• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision HEADS-UP - Vectronix COTI deal!

jb1000br

Jason@EuroOptic
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2001
On my Belly
These guys are pretty cool...and a great discount. You can attach it to a PVS14/7 to get NV and thermal utility or get the eyepiece and that makes it into a tiny little thermal monocular the size of your palm! very cool piece of kit. Check them out!

COTI DEAL LINK

1594842171576.png

1594842358759.png

1 year warranty and there is a US company, Optics One, in New Hampshire that you can send it to for any future repair after the warranty.

Reactions: deersniper
The COTI eyepiece adapter is not included. It is 549$ extra. It is used when you want to use the COTI as a stand alone scanner.

Not a bad price, but fuck Vectronix.

Let me guess, even with the bullshit 1 year warranty, its from the date of manufactur and after the 1 year you'll get a response of 'itll be $500 to tell you whats wrong with it'?

I'll input what I said to DS via PM...

The original COTI is just fine for anything inside 100 yards. You may even be able to "detect" larger signatures in an open field at longer ranges. It's a semi-cool little piece of kit to have ***IF*** you already have your other bases covered.

Technically, the COTI is "only" 240-pixels in the 20-degree image circle projection inside of your 40-degree NOD view. While the sensor may be 320x240 -- who in class can tell me why it's really only 240px???

Well kids, it's because a circle can only be as large as the smallest dimension of a non-circle -- i.e. a rectangle or a square, which in this case is 240px.

It's great for CQB/Urban environments, but ANY modern 320+ resolution dedicated thermal monocular will **CRUSH** the COTI in performance and detection range. It was cool back in 2010-2015, but it's not nearly as useful as a dedicated CoronaSkeet.

$3K is basically peanuts in this universe, so by all means add one to your collection. Just know it ain't Baller Kit (BK) anymore.

I'll input what I said to DS via PM...

The original COTI is just fine for anything inside 100 yards. You may even be able to "detect" larger signatures in an open field at longer ranges. It's a semi-cool little piece of kit to have ***IF*** you already have your other bases covered.

Technically, the COTI is "only" 240-pixels in the 20-degree image circle projection inside of your 40-degree NOD view. While the sensor may be 320x240 -- who in class can tell me why it's really only 240px???

Well kids, it's because a circle can only be as large as the smallest dimension of a non-circle -- i.e. a rectangle or a square, which in this case is 240px.

It's great for CQB/Urban environments, but ANY modern 320+ resolution dedicated thermal monocular will **CRUSH** the COTI in performance and detection range. It was cool back in 2010-2015, but it's not nearly as useful as a dedicated CoronaSkeet.

$3K is basically peanuts in this universe, so by all means add one to your collection. Just know it ain't Baller Kit (BK) anymore.

Depends on your location. Where I am, head mounted thermal sucks balls, so the COTI (or ecoti) is the best option. Also, we have real sized animals, so detection is better. ;). If I lived somewhere flat with kitten sized predators, I would skip it. For reals.

Depends on your location. Where I am, head mounted thermal sucks balls, so the COTI (or ecoti) is the best option. Also, we have real sized animals, so detection is better. ;). If I lived somewhere flat with kitten sized predators, I would skip it. For reals.

Then you should move to a real planet, like Earth. Thermals aren’t rated for Venus, bro.

Reactions: NHPiper
So the real question is, is there now hope of getting the E-COTI off restriction, which might actually be worth having?

That's likely up to Big Green. As I understand it, the Army has really locked down what the manufacturers can sell with regards to any new NV tech.

So like a stipulation while they are pumping out the units for the contract? Regulatory wise to my knowledge I havent seen anything that mandates it like on class 3B and above lasers.

Like the Army has put into the contracts an implicit need for permission by the customer for any manufacturer to sell to anyone. Even when selling to different branches of service, the manufacturer needs to get approval from the SPO.

Like the Army has put into the contracts an implicit need for permission by the customer for any manufacturer to sell to anyone. Even when selling to different branches of service, the manufacturer needs to get approval from the SPO.
Such BS.

F everyone responsible or supportive of this.

• Love
Reactions: MegaMind
Wow, when you're the big spender/cash cow, you can do w.e. you want...

There is sensitivity to peer adversaries gaining access to some of the tech (a reasonable fear), so they're being a bit ham fisted about it.

So the real question is, is there now hope of getting the E-COTI off restriction, which might actually be worth having?
Good question and while the E-COTI has absolutely amazing capability... We just don't know about availability in that regard.

Sshhhh. Let the dream live. It you aint got but one ball maybe it is baller kit. :LOL:

Any one knowledgeable know what the differences in the environment settings are for the coti? Been in the upper 90s all week here in the upper east coast and I am getting false positive readings on foliage at night. Like racoon and foliage both positive side by side..Was wondering if there was a specific setting to eliminate this, and other specific situations for the other environment settings.

Someone on arfcom noted adjusting the gain will solve this issue. It sounds intuitive, but from a technical standpoint I can't see gain and calibration going hand in hand unless that was by design. So wanted to double check.

Any one knowledgeable know what the differences in the environment settings are for the coti? Been in the upper 90s all week here in the upper east coast and I am getting false positive readings on foliage at night. Like racoon and foliage both positive side by side..Was wondering if there was a specific setting to eliminate this, and other specific situations for the other environment settings.

Someone on arfcom noted adjusting the gain will solve this issue. It sounds intuitive, but from a technical standpoint I can't see gain and calibration going hand in hand unless that was by design. So wanted to double check.
Are you using it on full thermal mode?

First thing read the manuel very thoroughly. The COTI has a wide range of settings on the Gain. I find it pretty much a necessity to check first thing when I go out at night to set my Gain correctly according to the Thermal Conditions. Those will change later in the night and you might need to adjust the Gain 1 more time later in the night.

All that being said, you can adjust it (via increased or decreased Gain) no matter what conditions such that it will pretty much only pick up a live critter, be it four or two legged thereby eliminating most false positives.

I have pretty much found the COTI to be by far best used in Outline White mode only. That is all I run them in.

@zinny Those Environmental presets I kind of bypass because all they are is a quick toggle to get different Gain settings. I just go into any one and adjust the Gain till I have minimized the false positives without absolutely killing its sensitivity to pick up live critters.

Amazingly, I have found the COTI in Outline mode to pick up live critters in thick cover, amazingly better than most full steam dedicated Thermal Scopes. That has really impressed me with its ability to see through thick cover, discriminate out cooler brush in front and outline the critter. Very impressive for the little unit. It must have an excellent algorithm written for that mode.

I think we all need to remember not to trash companies around here, especially Vectronix.

They have an entire department there whose only job is to trash themselves - its called the Warranty department.
You Sir, have a very poetic way of stating things. The point is extremely well set forth. (y)

First thing read the manuel very thoroughly. The COTI has a wide range of settings on the Gain. I find it pretty much a necessity to check first thing when I go out at night to set my Gain correctly according to the Thermal Conditions. Those will change later in the night and you might need to adjust the Gain 1 more time later in the night.

All that being said, you can adjust it (via increased or decreased Gain) no matter what conditions such that it will pretty much only pick up a live critter, be it four or two legged thereby eliminating most false positives.

I have pretty much found the COTI to be by far best used in Outline White mode only. That is all I run them in.

Gottcha just put 1-1 together. Read the manual thoroughly. Just when I read about gain, kept thinking gain as in a camera sensor instead of thermal sensitivity/threshold. No wonder I was scratching my head "wtf they keep on talking about gain" the first time around. Thanks!

Some pics of what will arrive. They have only ever offered a 1 year warranty but it's reflected on the unit in the pics. Finally a pic of the front showing it's a current production unit for those that thought these were old models.

Attachments

• IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 183
So these have the 240x resolution and 20’ field of view?
The useful Mode you use in the COTI is Outline. That is where the "magic" happens. It does that very very well and you do not want your NV scene all cluttered up with the full thermal mode anyway. So resolution and FOV is not really relevant in the performance of what this device can really do.

As you move around at night you want a clear clean NV scene (not all cluttered up with Thermal) until something alive is out there and that is when the COTI "pops" it out and Outlines said live critter. I have viewed many critters that I can see outlined but you still cant see them with just NV, even when you know exactly where they are.

Your head is constantly looking around so the COTI is scanning wherever you are looking so the 20 degree FOV is way plenty enough.

Dammit I really wanted to turn my WP pvs7s into fusion goggles! Fuck all y’all buying up all the cotis lol
Man this is Merica. Reach out to the Profiteers. I am sure someone would sell you one for $6,500 if you want one bad enough. :LOL:

Reactions: Eliteuas
There MAY be more in the future but yes they sold out quickly over 2 weeks ago. 1st release in about two days and 2nd release pre-sold in a similar time frame, barely could get off the phone for a couple days there.

Looks like more are in stock.
Can these be clipped in front of a scope? Or is that not what clip-on means?

I think some were clipped onto some NV Scopes but don't know that it worked out all that great. Very limited information regarding the use of them in that application.

Some info that came off another site.

Here is a couple things a friend told me about on the vectronics, I believe him on all of it as he is very in the know as a business person. I wondered if anyone else has heard the same things?Here is what he said:

the vectronics thermal overlay device, that was issued by U.S. Military as the AN/PAS-29, and now available to consumers at a steal of a price.

In my opinion, the higher 640x480 resolution is not needed for its function, which is to help detect thermal contrast, and apply them to the i2 night vision field of view in the form of highlights such as outline mode and patrol mode. While it does have a full thermal viewing mode, in both block hot and white hot, those who expect to use it exclusively for thermal imaging will be disappointed. These do have access to the firmware, but the access codes are still restricted by company policy to law enforcement and military users. This firmware access allows extensive user modifications that unleash the full power of the thermal detection and presentation capabilities, which are only at 50% potential on its default settings. One of the neat firmware upgrades gives the ability to put an aiming reticle into the field of view.

The thing to be cautious about is that these units have a trickle draw on battery power, which will cause CR123A batteries that are stored in them to run out over the course of a month or so even if the COTI is not used. So, be prepared to remove the battery or replace it. Use only lithium batteries or you will be sorry when the alkaline ones start leaking acid after they are exhausted. The COTI battery life is short when in operations - you’ll run through a CR123A in just 2-3 hours of continuous use. There’s an external power supply on a helmet mounted battery case, but those units and their interface cables are all sold out.

The cool thing about the COTI is that there used to be a version that has longer necks for the injector that were intended for use with PVS-22 and PVS-27 night vision clip-on scopes. The one for the PVS-22 could be adapted to mount to the Raptor 6X to give it thermal overlay. With the orange-red aiming reticle on the Raptor it is still really impressive.

Once you use the COTI in outline mode or patrol mode on your PVS-14, you will see why there is a preference for the green phosphor displays on the host, NV device.

Reactions: Lowdown3
No they cant. Clip on to head mounted NV only.
I know less than nothing about these devices in terms of how they are used, but the europtics ad does show a picatinny like rail mounting ring.
What would that ring be for? Also the monocular eye piece also has a pic mount?
1632939890892.png

I know less than nothing about these devices in terms of how they are used, but the europtics ad does show a picatinny like rail mounting ring.
What would that ring be for? Also the monocular eye piece also has a pic mount?
View attachment 7712036
The ring is what you use to mount to the objective of the NODs; the rail-like interface is how the COTI mounts on. Same deal with the eyepiece. Note the rails up top behind the injector, that is where the rail-like interface, uh, interfaces.

Given the monocular eyepiece option, *could* one mount this on a rifle pic rail, or just no, this is a helmet NV based clip on thing.

Given the monocular eyepiece option, *could* one mount this on a rifle pic rail, or just no, this is a helmet NV based clip on thing.

The monocular eyepiece works very well to turn the COTI into a stand alone thermal, but basically has 0 eye relief.
It's for when you are standing still with the thing jammed up to your eyeball scanning for something.
It would NOT be suitable for walking around with, let alone trying to mount to any weapon by itself.

Reactions: Lowdown3