• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headspace: "Bumping" shoulder back question...

johnsta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
CA, USA
Hey guys...

My fired .308 Win Winchester brass measures 1.633" to the shoulder. In order for reliable loading in my Custom 700, I need to bump the shoulder back .0013" to 1.620" (at the very minimum). However, to bump the shoulder back .0013" I am having to overcam quite a bit. I would like to bump it back at least .0015-.00175" to guarantee reliable chambering every time; sometimes .0013" isn't quite enough and I experience issues with closing the bolt. However, I can't bump the shoulder back more than .0013". Where am I going wrong here? Is this normal?

I am using a Lee Single State Press, with a Redding Type S Die (also used my RCBS Comp FL Resizing die as well with same issue) with RCBS shell holder.

Thanks for your help.

Use a flat surface and sand paper to grind a bit off the top of your shell holder until the desired bump is achieved.

Hey guys...

My fired .308 Win Winchester brass measures 1.633" to the shoulder. In order for reliable loading in my Custom 700, I need to bump the shoulder back .0013" to 1.620" (at the very minimum). However, to bump the shoulder back .0013" I am having to overcam quite a bit. I would like to bump it back at least .0015-.00175" to guarantee reliable chambering every time; sometimes .0013" isn't quite enough and I experience issues with closing the bolt. However, I can't bump the shoulder back more than .0013". Where am I going wrong here? Is this normal?

I am using a Lee Single State Press, with a Redding Type S Die (also used my RCBS Comp FL Resizing die as well with same issue) with RCBS shell holder.

Thanks for your help.

Your math. From 1.633 bumping 0.0013 (0.001" is fairly normal for a bolt gun) will be 1.6317", not 1.620 or 0.013" bump (very unlikely).

UPDATE:

I am an idiot. I am bumping the shoulder back .013 instead of .0013. IDDDIOOTTTTTTT.

My rifle has a headspace issue. It is getting sent back right now. Sorry for wasting all your time.....