• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection and .50 bmg.

FORESTBARBER

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I have some hearing damage from cars and sometimes have spell of tinnitus- ringing ear or ears.

When I shoot I always double up with foamy ear plugs and good Dillon muffs.

Did so yesterday for about 20 rounds and can tell I did some damage. It was an AR50 with a Barrett 99 brake - barrel was threaded for old barrett suppressor I have.

I was zeroing the rifle for a customer of mine, who will not own a suppressor so I didn't use it.

My ears are ringing now.

Any thing more I can do? I keep my mouth closed etc. I am selling the .50bmg. A .338lm is much more pleasant to shoot in every way.

Thanks,

Forest

Re: Hearing protection and .50 bmg.

You must have really sensitive ears. I used to shoot my Barrett with just a cheap set of muffs. Never really had any issues. That said, my Barrett would really ring your bell and clear your sinuses... But my hearing was always fine very soon after shooting. Like seconds. Maybe a minute max.

I shoot ALOT of 50Bmg as well as 338LM. You absolutely have to double up on your hearing protection.

I wear the moldable silicone plugs with a pair of QUALITY high Db muffs.The foamy ear plugs aren't worth shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot ALOT of 50Bmg as well as 338LM. You absolutely have to double up on your hearing protection.

I wear the moldable silicone plugs with a pair of QUALITY high Db muffs.The foamy ear plugs aren't worth shit. </div></div>

Would you mind posting a brand/model please? I was wanting to buy some good plugs and some good muffs.

I would recommend the Pro-Ears Gold Mag hearing muffs. NRR of 33, which is the highest I have seen in an electronic muff. A bit pricey at $300.00 but worth every penny.

Don't skimp on protecting your ears, but don't blow the bank on ear pro. "Say again, over" after every sentence someone makes for the rest of your life is worth more than 50 bucks, especially shooting the higher calibers.

also, keep your mouth open during firing, it equalizes the pressure on your eardrum.
jh

The same way that I treat big bore race cars is how I treat big bore calibers like the 50, silicon earplugs, racers tape over the plugs, muffs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot ALOT of 50Bmg as well as 338LM. You absolutely have to double up on your hearing protection.

I wear the moldable silicone plugs with a pair of QUALITY high Db muffs.The foamy ear plugs aren't worth shit. </div></div>

Would you mind posting a brand/model please? I was wanting to buy some good plugs and some good muffs. </div></div>

Howard Leight L3 High Attenuation muffs NRR of 30. Check drugstore for the soft moldable silicone ear plugs.

Have you thought about using using good foam ear plugs and some noise canx headset, I fix airplanes and suffer from samething, since I started doing this the ringing has almost gone away from shooting.

Have you thought about shooting a more normal caliber, one that doesn't require a brake? Also, longer barrels will decrease the dB at the ear. I don't see the point of shooting something that costs several dollars a round to shoot and kicks so hard that it requires a brake. I have a friend who is a class 3 dealer and we started talking about the types of people that buy full-auto weapons vs the ones that buy suppressors. The ones who buy full-auto guns have them in the safe all the time because they can't afford to feed em: including the dealer friend. The ones who buy suppressors shoot them all the time because they are a pleasure to shoot.

It's my understanding that a 50 BMG round DB rating 1 foot from the muzzle is 175-180 DB, a little less behind the gun Damage can begin as low as 90 to 95 db with sustained exposure at 120 db threshold of pain and certain damage at 140 db even for short exosure. So to be safe If your ears are sensitive I'd get electronic muffs with a DB rating of 33 DB and double up with ear plugs That have a DB reduction of at leat 30 DB. That would give you at 63 db reduction and put you at at resonably safe level for short exposure times. I'd get protection ratings even higher. Expensive, yes but every time your ears ring you are doing damage to your hearing. So how much is you hearing worth? Below is a chart of typical sound DB levels

Environmental Noise

Weakest sound heard 0dB
Whisper Quiet Library 30dB
Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB
Subway train at 200' 95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
Power mower at 3' 107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB
Power saw at 3' 110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection 140dB
Jet engine at 100', Gun Blast 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB

My understnding, along with others, is that they are loud!
HL, means you better grab your ears too.
Cheap Caldwels work better.
None of them cover the sinuses, that get a rocking!

More things to worry about than just noise.

Huh?

I wear the cheap foam ear plugs and cheap ear muffs when I shoot my AR50 and they work fine. The only thing I feel is the massive pressure to my sinuses. A buddy of mine got a noise bleed one day when we were shooting it. I've heard it could cause them but that's the first time I've seen it.

Don't cheap out on your hearing, I didn't take it too seriously and now have permanent ringing in my ears, it’s a real pain in the ass and there is still no treatment to fix my dumb ass move of not always having hearing protection with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought about shooting a more normal caliber, one that doesn't require a brake? Also, longer barrels will decrease the dB at the ear. I don't see the point of shooting something that costs several dollars a round to shoot and kicks so hard that it requires a brake. I have a friend who is a class 3 dealer and we started talking about the types of people that buy full-auto weapons vs the ones that buy suppressors. The ones who buy full-auto guns have them in the safe all the time because they can't afford to feed em: including the dealer friend. The ones who buy suppressors shoot them all the time because they are a pleasure to shoot.</div></div>

Scooter pie-

Why do you care what others shoot and how much they spend? It's their choice.He has a fifty and loves it.Maybe he has full auto stuff as well. it's his choice.Just because you couldn't handle the recoil of a 50 doesn't mean he can't.And by the way longer barrels doing increase decibel levels but actually lower them.You almost sound like the type who would vote to ban 50's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought about shooting a more normal caliber, one that doesn't require a brake? Also, longer barrels will decrease the dB at the ear. I don't see the point of shooting something that costs several dollars a round to shoot and kicks so hard that it requires a brake. I have a friend who is a class 3 dealer and we started talking about the types of people that buy full-auto weapons vs the ones that buy suppressors. The ones who buy full-auto guns have them in the safe all the time because they can't afford to feed em: including the dealer friend. The ones who buy suppressors shoot them all the time because they are a pleasure to shoot.</div></div>

Scooter pie-

Why do you care what others shoot and how much they spend? It's their choice.He has a fifty and loves it.Maybe he has full auto stuff as well. it's his choice.Just because you couldn't handle the recoil of a 50 doesn't mean he can't.And by the way longer barrels doing increase decibel levels but actually lower them.You almost sound like the type who would vote to ban 50's. </div></div>

I'm all for people being free to do as they please...so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. If you got a place to shoot a 50cal where it doesn't bother others, then go for it. They are a nuisance on a public range just as brakes are. At the range I am a member in, I would vote in a heartbeat to ban muzzle breaks and 50cals from the public ranges. You're right, I can't handle the recoil of a TAC-50 wihout a brake: neither can you. That's the point.

Here's a price check on 50BMG ammo: http://www.cabelas.com/p-0003713214233a.shtml

$5 - $9 per round to shoot. We must have some wealthy 50cal shooters on this forum. Or maybe, the $8,000 rifle will turn into a safe queen after the novelty wears off...I dunno.

You don't have to be wealthy if you thought about how expensive 50 cal was before the glut years ago and when it became $80/100 rounds bought enough of it to last for the foreseeable future. My friends with 50's did a bulk buy of belted 50, projos and 5010 to reload and still have enought left for quite some time. They were lucky and had enough foresight to stock up when prices were low. The same goes for 7.62x51, 5.56x45 & 7.62x39. Most of them have M2HB's and shoot them regularly at mg shoots.

I had the unfortunate experience of firing a .50 BMG without any hearing protection. I instantly lost all hearing in that ear. I immediately contacted a otolaryngologist (ear doctor), and he prescribed methylprednisolone. He said it would be the only thing that might recover my hearing. Over a period of a couple of weeks, my hearing recovered to the point where I can hear fine in the ear, but do have some tinnitus.

Wow, a shooter wanting to ban rifles from the range because their loud. Sounds just like land owners neighboring ranges wanting to get rid of ranges because they are loud.
How about move down the range a little farther? Or could the range move the fifties to a section down the range or place a slight blast wall/barrier up. Or just limit the range to shooting .22 shorts?
Slippery slope and we are our own worst enemies!

I just use ear plugs and haven't had any issues but then my hearing was slightly screwed up by a T55 tank (nobody told me they had main gun ammo) in Baghdad along with previous small arms damage, and other dumb stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tinnitus sucks i have it to.</div></div>
+1 on that one - too much ARMY training has screwed up my ears for life. I always double up. I use Peltor 7S with foam in the ears. I don't shoot anything over 308 so I have not had issue lately but the ringing in the ears does suck.

The 3.5 rocket launcher and various other interesting toys did a lot for my hearing loss in the military. We had plugs during training but did not always have time to put them in or they'd fall out. I never knew a "whoosh" could be so loud, so much for TV learning.

When I had my Barrett M99 I would make sure I was at least 4-5 tables from the nearest shooter and would warn everyone when I was about to shoot. No one had a problem with it and most appreciated the warning.

I only had one occasion where someone said "They ought to ban those F'ing things". Funny how his attitude changed when I let him shoot it.

I think sometimes people just need to be treated with understanding and respect.

I've since seen guys show up with a .50 and treat the range like they own it because they have an expensive, loud rifle that's very powerful. In this case it's a Dick-measuring contest and believe me... the guy with the Big Gun has the little dick!!!

Just my observations... FWIW

• Haha
Reactions: Beerfest19

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I had my Barrett M99 I would make sure I was at least 4-5 tables from the nearest shooter and would warn everyone when I was about to shoot. No one had a problem with it and most appreciated the warning.

I only had one occasion where someone said "They ought to ban those F'ing things". Funny how his attitude changed when I let him shoot it.

I think sometimes people just need to be treated with understanding and respect.

I've since seen guys show up with a .50 and treat the range like they own it because they have an expensive, loud rifle that's very powerful. In this case it's a Dick-measuring contest and believe me... the guy with the Big Gun has the little dick!!!

Just my observations... FWIW </div></div>

I've moved as far away as possible and shot my .50 after waiting to make sure the closest shooter was done before taking a shot. I provided some warning which is only courtesy and made sure no one was directly inline with the muzzle "blast". I let other people put more rounds down it on the range then I did. If someone is going to take a while I just start shooting the AR's or .300WM.
What kills me is all the BS hype about the .50's, some people believe (and many are fellow shooters) that the fifty is some magical round that can travel through mountains and can ricochet in excess of miles with heat seaking antipersonnel rounds
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
!!!! I had a range try to deny me (Fort Hood and range regs clearly state "up to and including .50") use of the range. The range civilian range master there said that the regs ment "blackpowder .50" which it doesn't and then he proceded to tell me that it would shoot through about a 15 foot wide berm and could keep going which could injure someone (behind the 15 foot thick berm is a Texas mountain (hill for people who actualy live in mountains)). Either way, I talked to range control who employs knuckle head and shot on the little range with no issues. Where do these people come from? Crazy land?

Yes, you are absolutly correct that courtesy is important, and sometimes it does go both ways! I would like more people to join the .50 crowd!! Only way I would effect that is through courtesy and teaching about the fifty. My biggest problem is the fellow gun owners that spout off how they protect the 2nd Amendment yet wish to ban fifty's??? Yet know absolutly nothing about them and have never fired them. Like I said we are our own worst enemy.

Funny you mention the penetration issue... At my range they stopped allowing .50's at the longer range (which is only 300yds) because they claimed it could shoot through the berm! How stupid is that?!!! Especially after I demonstrated for several RSO's firing my .50 into the berm and then immediately going downrange, finding the still warm projectile, and having it be no more than 2" deep in soft sand!!! Sand disperses the energy from the round much like the ceramic in the trauma plates we used to wear (don't know if you "combat-zone" Gents still use those). Mis-information about the .50 is rampant!!!

I have dealt with it on every range I have been on!!!!
I shot on a range that had a berm that was about 25+ feet tall and about as wide! Darn berm thing would stop a 120mm main gun round and 25 mm like it was going out of style and they are worried about a fifty? and the guys getting all freaked out are fellow shooters?
We don't need Brady!!! We have ourselves!! It is frustrating to see the gun community piss away its own rights out of ignorance!!
ESAPI plates are what we currently wear. Works pretty well, it stopped a 7.62X54 round from going through one of my old soldiers back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought about shooting a more normal caliber, one that doesn't require a brake? Also, longer barrels will decrease the dB at the ear. I don't see the point of shooting something that costs several dollars a round to shoot and kicks so hard that it requires a brake. I have a friend who is a class 3 dealer and we started talking about the types of people that buy full-auto weapons vs the ones that buy suppressors. The ones who buy full-auto guns have them in the safe all the time because they can't afford to feed em: including the dealer friend. The ones who buy suppressors shoot them all the time because they are a pleasure to shoot.</div></div> Scooter, as I noted, I was zeroing a customer's rifle. If the man wants a fifty, so be it. I don't shoot much fifty, though I do have an M2 50 cal machine gun that consumes ammo at about 600 rpm at about 3.50/rnd. It doesn't have a brake, so probably wouldn't irritate so many people:)
I have a number of full auto weapons, suppressors, plinkers, a precision rifle or two, my own 1000 yd range etc.
I do routinely shoot suppressed, but had to zero this one unsuppressed as the client doesn't yet have a suppressor.
I am just trying to do the best I can with my ears.

What kind of hearing protection do Jacob and Frank wear? When you get the chance look at their videos on youtube and you see their hearing protection. It is a muff that also has a microphone. And Im greatly interested in these for I work in a load work area and having a microphone to talk to people is so much easier than taking off your headset everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flYFXI_qwAI&feature=related

You can see it at (2:20)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought about shooting a more normal caliber, one that doesn't require a brake? Also, longer barrels will decrease the dB at the ear. I don't see the point of shooting something that costs several dollars a round to shoot and kicks so hard that it requires a brake. I have a friend who is a class 3 dealer and we started talking about the types of people that buy full-auto weapons vs the ones that buy suppressors. The ones who buy full-auto guns have them in the safe all the time because they can't afford to feed em: including the dealer friend. The ones who buy suppressors shoot them all the time because they are a pleasure to shoot. </div></div>

Talk about over generalizing and knocking those of us who own and shoot <span style="font-weight: bold">Full Auto</span> weapons as well as tactical weapons. My shooting circle of class III shooters is quite large and most of us own at least 2 dozen class III weapons of various calibers and types, including several M2HB's, and well before the price run up when prices were much lower bought lifetime supplies of the calibers we shoot. Some bought pallets of ammo at a time. Our Class III weapons donot reside in our safes but are shoot quite frquently at machime gun shoots held here in AZ. Particulaly the Big sandy Shoot. Google it to see waht I mean. It's not advisable to paint all shooters of any type of weapon with the same paint brush just because you talked to someone who didn't have the foresight to stock up when prices we low.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought about shooting a more normal caliber, one that doesn't require a brake? Also, longer barrels will decrease the dB at the ear. I don't see the point of shooting something that costs several dollars a round to shoot and kicks so hard that it requires a brake. I have a friend who is a class 3 dealer and we started talking about the types of people that buy full-auto weapons vs the ones that buy suppressors. The ones who buy full-auto guns have them in the safe all the time because they can't afford to feed em: including the dealer friend. The ones who buy suppressors shoot them all the time because they are a pleasure to shoot.</div></div>

Scooter pie-

Why do you care what others shoot and how much they spend? It's their choice.He has a fifty and loves it.Maybe he has full auto stuff as well. it's his choice.Just because you couldn't handle the recoil of a 50 doesn't mean he can't.And by the way longer barrels doing increase decibel levels but actually lower them.You almost sound like the type who would vote to ban 50's. </div></div>

I'm all for people being free to do as they please...so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. If you got a place to shoot a 50cal where it doesn't bother others, then go for it. They are a nuisance on a public range just as brakes are. At the range I am a member in, I would vote in a heartbeat to ban muzzle breaks and 50cals from the public ranges. You're right, I can't handle the recoil of a TAC-50 wihout a brake: neither can you. That's the point.

Here's a price check on 50BMG ammo: http://www.cabelas.com/p-0003713214233a.shtml

$5 - $9 per round to shoot. We must have some wealthy 50cal shooters on this forum. Or maybe, the $8,000 rifle will turn into a safe queen after the novelty wears off...I dunno. </div></div>

In the last 15 years I have fired over 15K- FIFTEEN THOUSAND rounds of 50BMG. Over the years I've acquired components out the ass. $5-$9 round-absolute bullshit. To ME it is a NORMAL caliber as is my 338LM.Its a GUN-they are loud. Guys put brakes on 308's. Banning brakes-yeah right. Put on hearing protection. That is the same attitude that KILLS this sport.If brakes are too loud-why not ban ALL centerfire rifles. Its a slippery slope.What a bullshit,elitist attitude.Safe queen? You have no idea what you are talking about.Collectively as shooters-our worst enemies walk amoung us.

Why worry about politicians when people like you spew your opinion on a public forum. I read your profile-you like golf. IMO, its the biggest waste of water in this country. I don't go on golf forums and talk about the waste of property, water and other resources to chase a little white ball around.Doesn't that "infringe" on other's rights?

Gun's are just too loud.
sleep.gif

Resurrecting this thread to ask for advice:With all that has been going on (and a little disposable income to go with it), I am getting back into 50 BMG.
Quick background:
Years ago I was into it, a lot, admittedly for the BOOM factor, wanting to be one of the cool kids-I-have-the-biggest-baddest-rifle kind of thing.I tried a lot of them: Shooting a Barrett 99 at the Cheyenne Well machine gun shoot popped my cherry (3 rounds, 3 hits at 500 yds got me hooked). The same day I ended with a scope gash (not a scope eye!) from another 50 (I think a Steyr).As blood was running down my face my wife looked at me, smiled and went:" Oh God, now we're going to have to buy you one!".And so it started:
BOHICA upper (do you remember those?
th_panic.gif
)Barrett 99, 32", Bushmaster BA50, Barrett 82a1, Barrett 99 29".
I liked mostly the 99s:Clean, smooth action, smooth trigger, not a lot of $$$ invested, definitely an accurate rifle even for a green shooter as I was 15 years ago.The 82a1 was A LOT OF MONEY, going through a lot of ammo quickly, a lot of stuff to cart around, could not justify all that money being tied up in it, plus I ended up trading it for a SMG...The Bushy BA50 was a cool concept, with the left handed, bearings mounted bolt, but what an horrible trigger! And A LOT of gun to cart around...My last one was the 29" Barrett 99, lightest of the bunch.
I sold that one when it caused (or coincided with) the onset of a bad case of vertigo that left me laying on the floor one night waiting for the world to stop spinning...While the vertigo never left me completely I have learned to live with it, I can tell when it is coming back and can stop it in its tracks with the appropriate exercises.
Since then I have been working on my rifle skills, mostly with my 308, but also with a 338LM, currently able to hold under 1/2 MOA (on a good day 1/3 MOA) with both platforms up to 550 yds (the max range I have available).

I am now thinking that, with proper hearing protection and potentially ear plugs up my nostrils to protect my sinuses (yeah, that would be quite a sight!
304115.gif
) I may be able to stop the concussion and not run into any more issues, and get back on the 50 to see what I can do with it now that I am a somewhat better shooter...
So I just got me another 32" M99, hoping for the best...
Anyone else ran into the vertigo issue?
How did you fix it?
Please advise...