• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection, Impact sport / Pro Ears Gold

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
I listed this in another thread last night, but I thought I would creat it's own thread and move it so it will be easier to reference in the future.
Ok guys,
I got my Pro Ears Predator Gold muffs today, (they were delayed by weather) so I ran to the range at lunch to fire some shots and give them a quick test. Fit and finish was nice, the batteries get inserted inside of the earcup, and they are covered by a piece of foam, a little cheesy but functional. I don't exactly know what material they use on the foam earpads, but it kind of reminds me of a memory foam as they are very comfortable, although I only wore them for about 45 min. They feel very sturdy and they weigh 11 oz on my fish scale compared to the HL's 9 oz.
Each ear functions independent from eachother so there is no cross cord to deal with, and it appears that they offer replacement head gear if you need it in the future. The Gold series comes with a 5 year warranty.
They were suppose to come with a audio cord, but it wasn't in the box so I called the company and spoke to a very nice woman who got all of my information and said they would mail it the next day. The sound quality was very clear, but what I noticed most compared to my Howard Leights was how it reduces the noise, instead of Clipping it, it compresses it, which reduces the highest sounds to a set level, rather than just cutting off the audio during the gunshot. It is much more natural and doesn't feel annoying having your sound level getting turned off and on. The round shape of the ear cup seals very well around my ear and helps them stay out of the way when shouldering my rifle, which is exaxtly what I was after.
They cost $289 from Midway but I saved some money by using the Snipers hide discount code. The Howard Leihgts cost around $55. and have been very good for the money, but it was just time to step up my gear. I chose these over the MSA's because of the NRR rating, I just didn't feel it was enough, for the money.
I have a Match this weekend so I will update my post as to any good or bad things I come across.
SScott
010-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

012.jpg

Re: Hearing protection, Impact sport / Pro Ears Gold

The battery's are in the compartment behind the foam ear pads? Even if the circuitry is protected from moisture, how are the batteries/connection protected? My peltor tac6 muffs were set up in the same way and the sweat from my head would ruin the battery connections.

If you keep folding the Howard Lights the wires in the ear pieces will break, there a bitch to solder back together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The battery's are in the compartment behind the foam ear pads? Even if the circuitry is protected from moisture, how are the batteries/connection protected? My peltor tac6 muffs were set up in the same way and the sweat from my head would ruin the battery connections.

</div></div>
That is good to know, I will only be wearing them for a day or two at a time, but I will keep my eye on it.
SScott

I made the same switch from Impacts to Pro Ears and never looked back. I was worried about the battery compartment but I've had mine out in pouring rain and they didn't flinch. If you drop them the batteries will come out so I was hoping for something a little sturdier before I bought a second pair for my wife. I've also worn mine for 5-6 hours during a match or two and pretty much forgot they were on.

For those that are considering them, the Predator cups are just a little smaller than the Pro Slims so if you have big ears or want a slightly larger cup then I'd suggest the Pro Tac Slims (right) over the Predators.

100_2172.jpg

I was able to wear these all day Sunday being an RO and shooting the comp.
The small earcups bothered my ears and at the end of the day of listening to braked rifles my ears were ringing all evening.
I Just sent these back to Midway, because they are really no better at blocking the sound then my Impact sports with plugs.
Live and learn.
SScott

Never had a problem with my Peltor Tacs. I wear them practically all day instructing on the range. Pretty non dynamic though.

I'm with Triad here and can speak from experience.
My Pro Ears now reside in the junk bin because moisture got into the circuit boards and battery compartment just due to normal use. They were repaired by Pro Ears once (at my expense) but soon had the same issue again.
I now use the Peltor tac Sports. I've had them 5 years with no issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Triad here and can speak from experience.
My Pro Ears now reside in the junk bin because moisture got into the circuit boards and battery compartment just due to normal use. They were repaired by Pro Ears once (at my expense) but soon had the same issue again.
I now use the Peltor tac Sports. I've had them 5 years with no issues.
</div></div>

Good to know. I always wondered why we didn't hear so much about the Pro Ears here. Maybe this is why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always wondered why we didn't hear so much about the Pro Ears here. Maybe this is why.</div></div>I suspect another reason is the location of the volume control...it makes these muffs just about unusable with most ballistic helmets.

I had my Pro Ears for 2 years. I shoot the rang and hunt with them. I have had no problems only thing I dont like is battery price.

I have two sets of Peltors Tac6 that I have been using for 8 years and never had a problem with either. They use two AAA in one ear.
Mine get used three days a week and continue to work great.
The only thing I dislike is how hot my ears get and sweat in summer as I am in Florida.
Many of my friends use the custom inside the ear digital plugs but then you are going to invest about 2300.00
Gary

I have a pair of the Pro Tac Mag Golds that have worked great for me. I have had them for three years with zero problems. Do to a number of years in tanks, my hearing is not very good. I pull RSO duty at times and it's nice to have the option to turn up the volume to hear the shooters. I agree with the battery prices, but with my already bad hearing it's worth the trade off to me.