• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection with bluetooth

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
Does anyone know of a decent set of hearing protection, prefer earmuff type, that will connect with a cell phone? I don't care if I can carry on a conversation while wearing them. I just want to know when my phone is ringing while I'm running the tractor and equipment.

I have a set of these and they work well. The bluetooth allows for hearing calls and I will even use it to stream music off my phone while I'm at the range. They go on sale from time to time at Midway.

Reactions: KML7201
Alternative recommendation:

Bluetooth technology combined with hearing pro is simply not there yet. Walkers has a couple options but you'll see from reviews that they're mediocre at best. LOTS of warranty issues, spotty battery life, etc. Other options exist (custom hearing aid/plugs) which are over $1000. Not gonna happen.

The best workaround I've found are the "bone conduction" headphones which conduct sound through your temples, but leave your ears completely unobscured for a cheap set of foamies, which ironically, are the most comfortable and have the highest NRR of just about any ear pro available. It's an absolutely FANTASTIC system. I use them for range days, Run N Gun matches so I have music while I run 5-15km, etc. I also use them for regular running, and they're great because you can maintain situational awareness and hear cars, other runners etc. I also use them at the gym so I can crack jokes with my buddies while we work out - I have music (or phone calls) going but I can still have a completely normal conversation with someone right next to me.

I have the Aftershockz. I tried the knock-off chinesium brand on Amazon first hoping to save a couple bucks, but they were absolute trash. Terrible audio, pops and crackles, sharp edges that cut my ears, etc. I requested a return within 3-4 hours of them arriving. But the Aftershockz are fantastic. I just stick in a set of foamies and they're perfect. Audio quality actually increases when you wear ear pro because the ear pro blocks out the rest of the environmental noise and then amplifies the audio you are hearing "inside" your head.

The only real downsides I can think of are some soreness over my ears if I wear them for 5+ hours, kind of like the soreness you get from wearing ear muffs for extended periods. Also that the sensation of hearing the music through your temples is definitely different. I got used to it within the first day or two and now it's perfectly normal to me, but I suppose I could see someone just simply not liking/tolerating the different sensation. But I absolutely love them.

1574329550295.png

Reactions: Chips26
I got a set of the Champion Vanquish Pro earmuffs a few weeks ago, and so far I am pretty impressed with them. Noise reduction seems to be pretty good (not as good as in-ear, but still), and the sound quality on them is excellent. I used them as headphones to listen to some music when I got them, and I was impressed with the sound quality. I also haven't use a set of electronic muffs yet that sounded better for hearing conversations, etc than the Vanquish. I also used them to call my wife, and she couldn't even tell when I switched over from the phone to the headset, as the call quality was the same.

Reactions: ColdSteel260

I have a set of these and they work well. The bluetooth allows for hearing calls and I will even use it to stream music off my phone while I'm at the range. They go on sale from time to time at Midway.
I just bought a pair of these as well. I actually purchase them for when I have equipment running but want to have some music.

No, the sound quality is not Bose, but I am happy with them for what I paid and they are reasonably comfortable as well.

Champion Vanquish. I use them and find them to be fantastic.
I have two pairs of Bluetooth headphones though.

One made for shooting that amplifies conversation and ambient environment. (Champion)
One made for music and noise-canceling that does not amplify conversation. Great for putting yourself in a bubble.

I use Peltor 500s. Both the noise suppression and BlueTooth functions are excellent. BTW, I bought them from MHSA in August 2018.

Cheers,

Harry

Reactions: Gharms
I have Walkers and Howard Leight, aka Honeywells, but I use a 1 meter cable to connect from mini-stereo jack on muffs to phone.

I’ve been wearing Apple AirPod pros inside MSA sordins - mainly for listening to audio books, etc. Works fine for me.

An alternative solution is an Apple or Garmin watch paired to your phone. You can see text messages, caller ID etc.

I’ve been happy with the XCEL 500BT although I can’t comment on longevity / durability as I’ve only had them for 2 months. So far I’ve used them to listen to podcasts while mowing the lawn, using power tools and several range trips. They’re as comfortable as standard muffs and a good compromise between NRR(26) and low profile. Audio quality is great considering these are hearing protection with wireless audio, not headphones.

Bluetooth technology combined with hearing pro is simply not there yet. Walkers has a couple options but you'll see from reviews that they're mediocre at best. LOTS of warranty issues, spotty battery life, etc. Other options exist (custom hearing aid/plugs) which are over $1000. Not gonna happen.

The best workaround I've found are the "bone conduction" headphones which conduct sound through your temples, but leave your ears completely unobscured for a cheap set of foamies, which ironically, are the most comfortable and have the highest NRR of just about any ear pro available. It's an absolutely FANTASTIC system. I use them for range days, Run N Gun matches so I have music while I run 5-15km, etc. I also use them for regular running, and they're great because you can maintain situational awareness and hear cars, other runners etc. I also use them at the gym so I can crack jokes with my buddies while we work out - I have music (or phone calls) going but I can still have a completely normal conversation with someone right next to me.

I have the Aftershockz. I tried the knock-off chinesium brand on Amazon first hoping to save a couple bucks, but they were absolute trash. Terrible audio, pops and crackles, sharp edges that cut my ears, etc. I requested a return within 3-4 hours of them arriving. But the Aftershockz are fantastic. I just stick in a set of foamies and they're perfect. Audio quality actually increases when you wear ear pro because the ear pro blocks out the rest of the environmental noise and then amplifies the audio you are hearing "inside" your head.

The only real downsides I can think of are some soreness over my ears if I wear them for 5+ hours, kind of like the soreness you get from wearing ear muffs for extended periods. Also that the sensation of hearing the music through your temples is definitely different. I got used to it within the first day or two and now it's perfectly normal to me, but I suppose I could see someone just simply not liking/tolerating the different sensation. But I absolutely love them.

View attachment 7187247
I use the Trekz too and for the price its a no brainer, especially with foamies in. They do have the Airs now that are lighter and solve the soreness issue on the upper ear.

can. I'll get lucky and someone will have the peltor 500s on sale for black friday

View attachment 7187247

If you wear foamies and the Aftershockz, how do you hear timer beeps, range commands, etc.? Do the Aftershockz have a "monitor" mode where they can feed you controlled ambient noise (stuff you want to hear on the range) ? If I can't hear a buzzer with foamies in, I would count on the Aftershockz to deliver the safe noises to me. Is that possible with this product?

./

If you wear foamies and the Aftershockz, how do you hear timer beeps, range commands, etc.? Do the Aftershockz have a "monitor" mode where they can feed you controlled ambient noise (stuff you want to hear on the range) ? If I can't hear a buzzer with foamies in, I would count on the Aftershockz to deliver the safe noises to me. Is that possible with this product?

No, they do not amplify any ambient noise. I don't normally have any issue hearing the timer buzzer or general range commands when wearing foamies so it's not a problem I've ever had to deal with. If I am wearing foamies AND have the music cranked up at a high level, it's hard to hear conversations, so I just ensure that I don't turn the music up too loud and keep it as just faint background noise. I'm not trying to rock out on the range, I'm there to shoot guns. I just also enjoy having a little soundtrack to keep me company :)