• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection

Nukes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2012
Central Coast of AZ
My 20+ year old Dillon amplified muffs are dying and are bulky—difficult to achieve a good cheek weld without compromising hearing protection.

Any suggestions for replacements? Any low-profile amplified muffs that achieve >30dB protection?

Re: Hearing protection

If your looking for a good cheekweld muffs kind of make it hard. I would look at earplugs. If you want some nice electronic muffs that won't break the bank look at the Howard Leight Impact ones. They give you 22db reduction are low profile electronic and run about $50.

Yeap the HL's are great, thin enough that you can still get a decent checkweld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your looking for a good cheekweld muffs kind of make it hard. I would look at earplugs. If you want some nice electronic muffs that won't break the bank look at the Howard Leight Impact ones. They give you 22db reduction are low profile electronic and run about $50. </div></div>

I've got these and love them. I didn't have any issues with cheek weld this weekend shooting prone with them, everyone is different of course.

I'm sure the ESP ear pro are nice but that is a crazy price! MSA Sordin supreme pro x is the way to go. Never have a problem with cheek weld. Get them from triad tactical, a hide sponsor
www.triadtactical.com

Thank you. All good suggestions. Since I already notice some hearing loss, I need muffs over plugs. Plugs only attenuate air conduction of sound. Muffs also attenuate bone conduction of sound which can also destroy your hearing.

Plugs + Howard leights Impact Sports here.

Pretty cost effective.

The Howard Leights are good on their own, but my preference is to double up and use plugs at the same time if the rifles on the line next to me have brakes.

Haven't found any electronic ear muffs with a > 30 db attenuation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure the ESP ear pro are nice but that is a crazy price! MSA Sordin supreme pro x is the way to go. Never have a problem with cheek weld. Get them from triad tactical, a hide sponsor
www.triadtactical.com </div></div>

I have the MSA Sordin and they are by far the best electronic ears I've used. That being said, I cannot get a good cheek weld with them so I only use them for pistol. It really depends on the person. I use molded in the ear type that I had made at a range a year or two ago. They almost work too well, hard to hear people talking...at all. The plus is pretty much any rifle is quiet with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure the ESP ear pro are nice but that is a crazy price! MSA Sordin supreme pro x is the way to go. Never have a problem with cheek weld. Get them from triad tactical, a hide sponsor

I have the MSA Sordin and they are by far the best electronic ears I've used. That being said, I cannot get a good cheek weld with them so I only use them for pistol. It really depends on the person. I use molded in the ear type that I had made at a range a year or two ago. They almost work too well, hard to hear people talking...at all. The plus is pretty much any rifle is quiet with them. </div></div>

Glad you mentioned the cheek weld problem before I ordered a pair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure the ESP ear pro are nice but that is a crazy price! MSA Sordin supreme pro x is the way to go. Never have a problem with cheek weld. Get them from triad tactical, a hide sponsor

I have the MSA Sordin and they are by far the best electronic ears I've used. That being said, I cannot get a good cheek weld with them so I only use them for pistol. It really depends on the person. I use molded in the ear type that I had made at a range a year or two ago. They almost work too well, hard to hear people talking...at all. The plus is pretty much any rifle is quiet with them. </div></div>

Glad you mentioned the cheek weld problem before I ordered a pair.</div></div>

It really comes down to the person and the rifle, I know people that shoot with pretty much every type of over the hear protection out there. I cannot. I can shoot carbines with the Sordins, but I don't typically because a 10" SBR is LOUD when you bump them and crack the seal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...because a 10" SBR is LOUD when you bump them and crack the seal. </div></div>

'zackly so! I decided to order the Howard Leight Impacts. They were $44 on amazon.com.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...because a 10" SBR is LOUD when you bump them and crack the seal. </div></div>

'zackly so! I decided to order the Howard Leight Impacts. They were $44 on amazon.com. </div></div>

...and I cannot get a decent cheek weld with them. Back to plugs.

I find the surefire plugs are affordable and effective.