• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hearing protection?

I have experience with the Caldwell electronic ear muffs and it is what you can expect for the price. Works effectively but after about a year of use, my first pair started to become staticky and block out mouse farts even at the least sensitive settings.

Im currently using surefire ep4 and very much enjoy them. Effectively blocked out the noise of a 300 win mag with a brake and allows for decent ability to hear people talking. Its also neat how you can take out an inner plug for greater hearing in conversations, however i have yet to used that feature.

Hear-pro AMP37 offer 37 DB NRR. actually 39 at optimal thickness. PM me and I can help a little with the price

HEAR-PRO | Custom Sound Management

jim

I would be interested in seeing the ANSI S3.19-1974 NRR testing data done by an independent testing organization. What i suspect the are quoting is that the frequency, with the highest attenuation, is 37 db. Probably in the 6-8 kHz range. This is NOT an NRR. A simple description of calculating an NRR is that it is a weighted average of the attenuation levels at 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 6000 and 8000 Hertz. So again, picking the frequency with the best attenuation is not an NRR.

Jack

I would be interested in seeing the ANSI S3.19-1974 NRR testing data done by an independent testing organization. What i suspect the are quoting is that the frequency, with the highest attenuation, is 37 db. Probably in the 6-8 kHz range. This is NOT an NRR. A simple description of calculating an NRR is that it is a weighted average of the attenuation levels at 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 6000 and 8000 Hertz. So again, picking the frequency with the best attenuation is not an NRR.

Jack

Funny to see your post today. I was having this very conversation with MSA today. MSA/Sordin reports their NRR as reported/tested by independent third party company.

Pinecone is spot on with his comments.

If you see electronic muffs with high NRR ratings, remember that dampening material has to be removed to make room for the batteries and electronics.

I have a pair of MSAs from Triad and wore them for years. I can assure you the Hear-pro product provides more protection, weather it be the pro-37 or Amp-37. Is this scientific? No. It just comes from years of shooting comps with both.

Pro-37 do not have any material removed because the are no electronics.

There are a lot of assumptions made about the testing. I will see if I can find out some information from the owner.

Jim

I spoke with the owner and this is what he said

"Internal lab study and Independant lab study. Both were based on ANSI NRR testing standards......the same as every other hearing protection product on the market."

I wonder about the part where they say it blocks noise, but allows speech to pass.

For speech to pass, with a passive device, it typically means the noise attenuation is less at speech frequencies that outside the speech frequencies. Which means the frequencies you REALLY do not want to have hearing loss, are less protected.

I would like to understand how they have come up with a hearing protection that outperforms every other hearing protection on the market.

Electronic devices allow speech frequencies to pass, but stop allowing them to pass at some cutoff point.