• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection...

joelinux

hed weezul
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
So, I went PRS for the first time on Saturday, and had a blast!

However, both my friend and I discovered that the eye relief and cheek rest caused a collision with the electronic ear protection muffs we were using.

However, at the ranges we were shooting, the "ting" of the metal target was sometimes the only indicator that we hit, so, we are trying to avoid just using earplugs on both. (the mirages from the heat sometimes obscured the target)

Trying to wear the electronic ear protection on one side, and sliding the other side off the ear and just using a singular ear plug was an intermediate solution, but kind of goofy. Not to mention, if it came off the ear, and we didn't notice, the next shot could be a rude shock.

Do any of you have recommendations for in-ear protection that will also allow us to hear metal plates at distance?

I like the Axil ghost strikes I had. They got taken out of my shooting bag by my son, and I haven't seen them since. I may need to buy another pair. They don't get in the way, and the sound is more natural than some others.

There are some good threads on here in in ear electronic noise cancelling ear protection. I have the Otto ones and like them, they are not enough at the range next to others with brakes or under enclosures.

I had similar experience with over ear protection and found out from others I was laying my head over too much. My body alignment created bad cheek weld and bumped the ear pro.

There is a good video from Phil V. that shows pulling the butt in tighter to your collar bone creates a better head position. I'll try and find it.

Edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Ern and 556ARs
I just wear a regular foam ear plug or Surefire ear plug in my right ear under my electronic ear pro. If my muffs get bumped off that ear, no worries. I'm sure there is a way to throw money at this problem and fix it, but I'm running 40 dollar Howard Leights that have worked for the last 7 years or so.

Reactions: 20ozjolt
I'm using Grizzly Ears mostly for the last 6 months, and sport ear. I use the Grizzly Ears at the gym almost everyday as well...

I have a pair of the walker blue tooth ear plugs and I am having difficulty getting a good ear seal/ fit with the foam plugs they include

The more I try the more I just come back to plugs, I'm sure we will see a electronic plug soon but then again it's hard to find good electronic muffs with bluetooth....

Edit: even in plugs both for shooting and for on my motorcycles I try lists of options but keep returning to the "sparkplugs" ear plugs for their comfort and quality. All of the reusable ones I've tried are uncomfortable

For a serious answer, id look into a place near you that does custom molded hearing pro. Place near me even does electronic ones

For a serious answer, id look into a place near you that does custom molded hearing pro. Place near me even does electronic ones

Purchased Walker’s Razor XV hearing protection. Pleasantly surprised. Attenuated sound from 300 Win Mag, yet I could easily hear people talking 30 yards away. For the ear buds, I squeeze them with my fingers then insert them into the ear canal and when they expand creates a good seal.

The Otto and TEP200's have been on my short list. I haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.

To add to my previous comment I am still not happy with the Walkers Silencer bluetooth ear plugs. Im finding them very hard to get a seal and thus they are not blocking noice. Back to my standard ear plugs and walkers ear muffs which is not my ideal set up when shooting rifle as the ear muffs prevent me from getting a good head position

I've been using Etymotics for the last three years; the first pair went in for warranty work after seven months, both ears just stopped working and sounded like spring was loose. Any small amount of shock or vibration sounded like a tuning fork in my ear. My second pair started doing the same thing five months ago and last week stopped working altogether. Always kept them in the case when not in use and they've never been dropped.
I just purchased Otto Noizebarriers based on the reviews here on the Hide. I have never been a fan of over the ear protection, and I hate not being aware of my surroundings. If the Ottos don't last then, I'm saving for some ESPs.
But yes, we live in a civilized society, and its best we start shooting like it; shoot suppressed.

I've been using Etymotics for the last three years; the first pair went in for warranty work after seven months, both ears just stopped working and sounded like spring was loose. Any small amount of shock or vibration sounded like a tuning fork in my ear. My second pair started doing the same thing five months ago and last week stopped working altogether. Always kept them in the case when not in use and they've never been dropped.
I just purchased Otto Noizebarriers based on the reviews here on the Hide. I have never been a fan of over the ear protection, and I hate not being aware of my surroundings. If the Ottos don't last then, I'm saving for some ESPs.
But yes, we live in a civilized society, and its best we start shooting like it; shoot suppressed.
I'll get right on convincing all these Democrats to make it legal in my state.

Etymotic Gunsport Pro. Almost everyone I come into contact with saying they stopped working is because they neglect to change the filters or the tips.
The filters are designed to keep, wax, moisture, and dirt out of the electronics. When they get clogged, sound is no longer able to pass into the buds. They even come with replacement filters and a tool to do the task.
Once swapped out, wa-la...like new again!
I have been using them for 4 years now w/o a hiccup. The best danged ear pro I've ever worn.
The Otto's are Etymotic, just rebranded and sold through Otto.

If you are relying on only in-ear devices, you are not getting the level of hearing protection you need when shooting rifles. A complete over the ear muffs *with* quality foam plugs is the way to go. And the muffs must be high quality