• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I need to get some better hearing protection. I am also going with double ears. Slowly losing my hearing and want to preserve what I have for as long as I can & will continue to shoot.

So, looking for recommendations for GOOD ear plugs and ear muffs.

When shooting 223 with a brake I usually use Sordins with gel padding.

If I shoot a lot, there are lots of guns or I am shooting a bigger caliber I prefer to use 3M CAEs under them.

Works very well.

Also suppressor + 3M CAE works well

Make sure you get a good seal with the plugs. I've messed with a lot of reusable plugs but settled on disposable foam plugs under a Peltor or Howard Leight headset.

I found a fella in Atlanta that makes custom molded ear plugs. If I am shooting something big with a brake, I use them with my peltor comtac muffs. With that combo I cant really hear much.

I use sport ears and Grizzly ears with no problems. Grizzly ears you can work out in and are waterproof

I need to get some better hearing protection. I am also going with double ears. Slowly losing my hearing and want to preserve what I have for as long as I can & will continue to shoot.

So, looking for recommendations for GOOD ear plugs and ear muffs.
I shoot everything from 222 to 338 lm with my peltor tactical pros, they noise cancel and actually increase my hearing when i wear them. I have found using them i dont need to double up either. They are the only ears i use now.

I use custom molded ear plugs from a local hearing center and some MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with gel pads.

If you're serious about your hearing I recommend these: https://1of1custom.com - but, a set of the regular old ubiquitous orange foamies, inserted properly, is the next best thing.

AND, of course, muffs over those.

Worn over plugs, all the usual headsets/earmuffs: MSA/Sordin's/Peltor's/Impact Sports/etc are about the same and add an additional +5dB of noise reduction (assuming you maintain a good seal, ...gel cups always).

= 34-38dB NR

BTW/FWIW: much of the audio/amplification advantages the more expensive muffs have over the cheaper muffs disappear when worn over plugs: Sordin Supreme Pro-X's vs Impact Sports worn "naked" is huge, ...with plugs, not so much.

If you want Gucci of the Gucci you want the OpsCore AMP headset with near field magnetic induction (NFMI) earplugs. 34dB NR with 1:1 hear-through, bad-ass. NFMI plugs turn your ears into part of the speakers, very cool. But, even the $1000 AMP headset alone is still only 21dB NR, not enough protection without the plugs...

Last edited:
This is still the best investment I have done shooting wise in a long while.

I have ear muffs and walker electronic ear plugs. The ear muffs are easy, but bulky. The muffs seem a bit quieter. I have thought about using both together. That would give you the benefit of hearing through the ear plugs and then having double protection when shooting. Wil probably work good when shooting next to my buddy with a muzzle brake.
I haven't tried it yet but its on the list.

I have ear muffs and walker electronic ear plugs. The ear muffs are easy, but bulky. The muffs seem a bit quieter. I have thought about using both together. That would give you the benefit of hearing through the ear plugs and then having double protection when shooting. Wil probably work good when shooting next to my buddy with a muzzle brake.
I haven't tried it yet but its on the list.

Definitely wear both. None of the active ear pro on the market is really enough NR on it's own around these rifles, especially if they're braked.

Active plugs + passive muffs is the same as passive plugs + active muffs: you get +5dB additional NR on top of whatever your highest rated set of ear pro is rated.

I wear custom plugs that are 33dB NR + Sordin Supreme Pro-X muffs which are rated 19dB NR (really 30dB at the the relevant frequencies), but it still equals 38dB of noise reduction (33+5=38), NOT 33+19. Walker active plugs are rated for 25dB NR, when worn with passive muffs that are rated 33dB NR, it still comes out to 38dB NR (5+33=38), NOT 25+33.

Reactions: oldiephrt