• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Height difference for flat vs. tapered base

SandLine

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
I'm trying to decide between a Badger Ordinance flat or 20MOA tapered base for a Remington 700 R5 in .308. It's a damn shame they don't make a 10MOA...

How much will the 20MOA base raise the back of my scope compared to a flat base? Could it really be the difference between having a cheek weld or not?

Here's the article I read that's making me think about this:
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/ScopeMountSelection.asp

I think I could just barely get out to 1000 yards with the flat base (and yes, I do have a 1000 yard range to go to), and could always hold over if necessary... but I think I'd really prefer the 20 MOA base if it wouldn't screw my cheek weld. Not to mention the flat base actually weighs more for some reason...

Thanks for the help.

Re: Height difference for flat vs. tapered base

Don't make yourself fit the stock make the stock fit you, buy a 20 MOA base and a stock pack to help get your head a little higher. The height difference between the 0 MOA base and 20 MOA is a moot point if it makes life easier and you won't be left hoping you'll make the distance without having to hold over.

40 thou at the back of the rail compared to the flat one so at the back of the scope mabe another 20 thou so mabe 1.5mm or 60 thou just rough estimations it also depends on where they measure the bases from if they keep the front or rear the same height if it is the same height at the rear only around 20 thou.

Im not sure on the distance, but I have a 20Moa base and i havnt noticed any strange cheek weld positions

Sandline- We offer a 10 MOA base if that is what you are looking for. The height difference between a flat and a 20 MOA base for an average eyepoint will be about 0.035" higher. (Assuming your eye is about 6 inches back from the end of the rail.) Please PM me or give me a call at 800-553-8527 if you have any questions, or would like to order a base.

- Cameron

Sandline,

Cameron will hook you up - his customer service is outstanding!!!