• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Looking at the Hellcat to replace my LCP. I have a Walther PPS (9mm original) and an XDs (.45 original). I liked carrying both of those but the LCP is just so much easier to carry and neither of those offered much more capacity. Obviously there was a caliber advantage. See #3 below.

Three things changed that have me rethinking my CCW.

1. Capacity. I'm literally doubling my capacity. Clearly extra mags can help but one:eek:ne, you're way ahead with the Hellcat.

2. RDSm. To me, this is a great advantage when you can't get a proper site picture. Like trying to shoot from cover. Red dots work from many angles you couldn't really do with conventional sites. They're small, light, and reliable. No brainer.

3. 9mm has made some big leaps ballistically the last decade or so.

Reviews seem to be favorable for the Hellcat in regards to reliability and accuracy. I'd like to get some first hand feedback if possible.

I'm sure some will recommend another gun. That's fine but I'm really looking for Hellcat feedback.

Thanks for your input.

Bought a new one and kept it 3 days. The trigger issue made me feel uncomfortable. Its definitely a nice little gun.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    I came to the same conclusion as you so I decided on either the hellcat or the p365. After shooting both as range rentals I went with the p365 for a few reasons. 1) I still have a problem with Springfield armory’s politics I can’t completely get over, siding with gun control efforts and then hiring some of the people responsible for killing Randy Weavers family I haven’t gotten over it seems. 2). The trigger on the hellcat leaves something to be desired, the p365 has a great stock trigger. 3). The hellcat had a stovepipe in the 50 rounds I fired it. 4) Accuracy was excellent with both. 5) They are both very comfortable in my hand for small guns. Size wise they are almost identical, most of the time I can barely tell I’m carrying the p365 it’s so light and small, which would be true with either gun,they are both very impressive considering how many rounds they hold.

Love the gun. Hate the trigger. PRP has a fix for that.

Mine's been 100% reliable with any ammo.
    Bought a new one and kept it 3 days. The trigger issue made me feel uncomfortable. Its definitely a nice little gun.
    I came to the same conclusion as you so I decided on either the hellcat or the p365. After shooting both as range rentals I went with the p365 for a few reasons. 1) I still have a problem with Springfield armory’s politics I can’t completely get over, siding with gun control efforts and then hiring some of the people responsible for killing Randy Weavers family I haven’t gotten over it seems. 2). The trigger on the hellcat leaves something to be desired, the p365 has a great stock trigger. 3). The hellcat had a stovepipe in the 50 rounds I fired it. 4) Accuracy was excellent with both. 5) They are both very comfortable in my hand for small guns. Size wise they are almost identical, most of the time I can barely tell I’m carrying the p365 it’s so light and small, which would be true with either gun,they are both very impressive considering how many rounds they hold.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying the Hellcat from Mile High. Was able to also purchase 1000 rounds as I thought I sold the majority of my 9mm in March/April. Turns out I still had 2500 rounds. 1000 of which is Winchester Ranger/PDX.

I put on the Swampfox RMSc and installed the PRP trigger. REALLY improves the trigger pull. Also ordered the Apex trigger but it's on back order. I did some filing on the factory trigger to alleviate the safety hang. Still needs a bit more filing but I really don't have an issue even when trying really hard. I can get it catch but it takes effort.

I've put almost 300 rounds down range with one malfunction, failed to go into battery, but I'm ASSuming I was limpwristing it. Honestly it did not concern me at the time as I had no other indications of any type of reliability issues. Quite the opposite. It's a snappy little pistol that ejects hard and high directly to 3:00. And the reliability reports in the wild after over a year are outstanding. Accuracy is stupid easy w/ a red dot at social distances.

I was not 100% up on the SA political issues and had I, I might of gone another direction. The main reason I chose the Hellcat over the Sig was Sig's lack of optic cut on the non long version and the long version didn't appeal to me. I realize it would carry just as well, I've carried myriad of 1911s in myriad lengths. And the Hellcat was available now and holds two more rounds is basically the same size package. Enough to sway me considering capacity was a huge reason for me to change things up.

62440367361__FFED38C4-A537-4421-A875-DB6FEDB3EC51.jpeg

A visual comparison. The XDs is usually carried with the smaller mag and 6 rounds total.

62440368310__E182D12E-6764-4AF6-9786-F0215B4A5B8D.jpeg

Reactions: DubfromGA
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying the Hellcat from Mile High. Was able to also purchase 1000 rounds as I thought I sold the majority of my 9mm in March/April. Turns out I still had 2500 rounds. 1000 of which is Winchester Ranger/PDX.

I put on the Swampfox RMSc and installed the PRP trigger. REALLY improves the trigger pull. Also ordered the Apex trigger but it's on back order. I did some filing on the factory trigger to alleviate the safety hang. Still needs a bit more filing but I really don't have an issue even when trying really hard. I can get it catch but it takes effort.

I've put almost 300 rounds down range with one malfunction, failed to go into battery, but I'm ASSuming I was limpwristing it. Honestly it did not concern me at the time as I had no other indications of any type of reliability issues. Quite the opposite. It's a snappy little pistol that ejects hard and high directly to 3:00. And the reliability reports in the wild after over a year are outstanding. Accuracy is stupid easy w/ a red dot at social distances.

I was not 100% up on the SA political issues and had I, I might of gone another direction. The main reason I chose the Hellcat over the Sig was Sig's lack of optic cut on the non long version and the long version didn't appeal to me. I realize it would carry just as well, I've carried myriad of 1911s in myriad lengths. And the Hellcat was available now and holds two more rounds is basically the same size package. Enough to sway me considering capacity was a huge reason for me to change things up.

View attachment 7451425

A visual comparison. The XDs is usually carried with the smaller mag and 6 rounds total.

View attachment 7451427

You did well, once you have the holster broken in you won’t even know it’s there. It’s funny you mentioned the ammo with it, I don’t usually enter gun giveaways mainly because I never win, but I did a few weeks ago, I didn’t have any interest in the gun in the giveaway(I think it was a grand power) just the 2000 rounds of ammo that came with it, a sign of the times.

Compared to a LCP, any trigger will be better.

All modern guns run just fine.

If you normally shoot glocks, stick with a small Glock -43 or 43x as they have the same grip angle

If you shoot a 1911/sig/ XD- then stick with something with the same grip angle.

once you have “it” spend time learning how to run the new pistol
    Malfunction drills while moving
    Reloading while moving
    Shooting from concealment while moving with a shot timer

Are you still happy with the pistol outside of the trigger? I'm getting the itch to pick one of these up. I want to pair it with the Trijicon RMRcc but can't find the adapter plate in stock anywhere.

Yes. Very happy. Installed the PRP trigger spring kit and the Apex trigger should show up tomorrow or Friday. The RMRcc should be a direct bolt on. The Sentinel was a direct fit the the Holosun needs the tabs on the Hellcat to be ground down in order for it to sit flat. There's a couple other direct fit available as well.

Just make sure you get the OSP model Hellcat.

Have put about 300 rounds through my Hellcat. Got an Shield RMSc for it. Satisfied with the grouping at 20 yards with 124 grainers. Above posts are right. Trigger sucks. Just got an APEX trigger. Have it sitting on the bench ready to put in the Hellcat.

Apex arrived and I installed it last night. Pulls 3lbs. 10z. on average on the Lyman trigger pull gauge.

The Apex trigger is outstanding and when used in conjunction with the PRP spring kit you get a really nice trigger and a lighter pull. If you can only pick one, the Apex is definitely the way to go. It's a much better improvement vs. the PRP lightened trigger pull. I HIGHLY recommend the Apex trigger mod.

Reactions: Animal357
    I have the PRP installed now. Certainly a vast improvement over stock. It's perfect for a carry gun- smooth and not too light .

I just picked one up on Friday. Was able to find an RMSc as well. Seems like a great piece of kit. Can't wait to take it to the range to test it out.
    20201114_212833.jpg

Got one the other day just for the helluva it. Trigger sucks, Apex ordered, knew that going in. At the range today to initial sight-in polymer housing Sig's Romeo Zero (use M4 x.7 x 10 mm screws). Only 50 rounds get towards center of paper plates using Federal 115 gr. ball ammo.
    Also tinkering to have a reliable adapter mount (rail-tripod) since the factory "rail" is less than "Universal". I used the SureFire MR09 initially however it would not grip well enough under recoil so I modified a Daniel Defense / Magpul picatinny combination afterwards using the mill resulting in a very solid support situation; will follow up its use in coming days.
    Springfield Armory Hellcat Daniel Defense-Magpul Picatinny Rail Mount Moidfied for Tripod 11.1...jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat First Range Time Romeo Zero Sight In 11.15.20IMG_6892 copy.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat First Range Time Romeo Zero Sight In 11.15.20IMG_6893 copy.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat First Range Time Romeo Zero Sight In 11.15.20IMG_6894 copy.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat First Range Time Romeo Zero Sight In 11.15.20IMG_6898 copy.jpg

The Ruger LCP is one of the worst small firearms I own for the singular reason that being just a .380 it beats the hell out of my palm every discharge. It conceals well but to spend time training with it is painful.....25-50 rounds and I'm done......need to add my Sig P224 in .40 / HK P2000SK in .357 Sig / Hellcat to this photo bomb.
    IMG_1230 copy.JPG
    IMG_2866 copy.JPG

"just throwing it out there" is code for changing the substantive trajectory of a forum thread.

The Cliff's Notes version answer to your inquiry is a good defensive shooting encounter is just that....not aware of a single legal action based on firearm modifications under such circumstances.....However, IF you live in Illinois and BLM/Antifa peaceful protesters breach your double-lawyer owned gated property even the show of arms (however muzzle direction discipline was wildly violated in that instance, even the wife muzzling her husband every few seconds) will co$t you a fortune to defend from a zealous local prosecutor. No shots fired; firearm arms mods not in play!

IF everyone would just honor the notion that the primary safety on every firearm is muzzle direction, even an accidental / negligent discharge might be some paperwork at best, no harm no foul.

Getting back to the Hellcat issues.
    I did modify a American Defense QD-picatinny rail combination to fit the non-universal rail (2mm deep x 0.15" wide) on the Hellcat. Milled down the block that was mil-spec 1913 picatinny rail dimensioned to that of the Hellcat rail; now a lower profile simpler solution than shown above.

IMG_6972 copy.jpg
    IMG_6978 copy.jpg

IMG_6966 copy.jpg

IMG_6963 copy.jpg

Last edited:
    "just throwing it out there" is code for changing the substantive trajectory of a forum thread.

The Cliff's Notes version answer to your inquiry is a good defensive shooting encounter is just that....not aware of a single legal action based on firearm modifications under such circumstances.....However, IF you live in Illinois and BLM/Antifa peaceful protesters breach your double-lawyer owned gated property even the show of arms (however muzzle direction discipline was wildly violated in that instance, even the wife muzzling her husband every few seconds) will co$t you a fortune to defend from a zealous local prosecutor. No shots fired; firearm arms mods not in play!

IF everyone would just honor the notion that the primary safety on every firearm is muzzle direction, even an accidental / negligent discharge might be some paperwork at best, no harm no foul.

No.

And then you segue into "what bullets did you use" debate.

This is Pandora's box and deserves its own thread.

Some Hellcat- Romeo Zero adjustment results from the range today. Speer Lawman 147 gr ball and Federal 115 gr. ball ammo. Apex trigger from the tripod @ 20 yards, 6" plates.
    L>R and down from last rain interrupted session.
    Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger QD Mount Romeo Zero Sight In 11.25.20IMG_7002.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger QD Mount Romeo Zero Sight In 11.25.20IMG_7001.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger QD Mount Romeo Zero Sight In 11.25.20IMG_6996.jpg

I liked Jefe’s setup so I pretty much copied it. I originally wanted to use the RMRcc but the adapter plate takes the place of the rear sight and the optic sits on top of the slide. I have no idea what in the hell Trijicon was thinking with their design. I wasn’t happy with it so I’m going to give the Swampfox a chance. As for the gun it’s a very comfortable carry piece in the Bradec AIWB. One of the issues I have at times with my G19 if I don’t have the holster positioned perfectly is the barrel digging into my groin when I’m sitting. That isn’t an issue with the smaller gun. The Apex is a big improvement.

For you guys with small pistols, is it normal to have worse accuracy on these than with a full size? A good friend of mine purchase a hellcat. He can never get groups as good as I do with my gun. My gun is a VP9 by the way.

We figured maybe he's just a bad shooter. I tried the hellcat myself and the groups were much larger than with my VP9.

Aside from that, it's a nice little handy gun and fun to shoot. It ejects away the spent cases a mile away too.

There's a lot at play in regards to accuracy with a handgun regardless of the size.. Smaller handguns definitely can be less accurate but then again they also can be very accurate so there really is no answer in regards to your friends specific handgun. The gun might not be accurate, but it's likely it is the way he and even you shoot the gun. Grip, stance, trigger finger placement, trigger press, sight alignment, follow through, breathing all come into play if you are shooting "groups" with a handgun. Some guns might be more forgiving to a persons technique. If he is doubt about the accuracy ability of his gun he should try to take the human element out of it by using a vice of some sort or at least shoot it off of a rest/bag or something to be as consistent as possible without human input.

Reactions: stello1001
    The target results posted above with a tripod rest are pretty good for a 3" barrel; with that short sight radius every 0.007" (thickness of a index card) deflection of the sights during the conduct of the trigger pull deflects the POA 1.5" @ 25 yards. Smith & Wesson certify their 3" barrels and less for 6.3" @ 21 yards, the results I achieved are 5X better than that. The Hellcat promotion is touted for round capacity not accuracy @ 20+ yards.
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 6.13.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 6.15.07 PM.png

For you guys with small pistols, is it normal to have worse accuracy on these than with a full size? A good friend of mine purchase a hellcat. He can never get groups as good as I do with my gun. My gun is a VP9 by the way.

We figured maybe he's just a bad shooter. I tried the hellcat myself and the groups were much larger than with my VP9.

Aside from that, it's a nice little handy gun and fun to shoot. It ejects away the spent cases a mile away too.
    A full size has a longer barrel and longer sight alignment coupled will slightly higher velocity. All of which will increase accuracy.

Reactions: stello1001
    ^^^It's a Sig Romeo Zero, polymer housing; only ~$250. Never tried a Sig optic before so I am giving it a trial.
    IMG_6852 copy.jpg
    IMG_6853 copy.jpg
    IMG_6875 copy.jpg

As a Springfield XD user, PRP is amazing. I couldn't believe there was someone out there taking care of us Springfield guys.

I've been thinking about getting a Hellcat as well. I'd really like to get an XDs .45, but I can't find them anywhere right now, but a local shop has a Hellcat OSP. I messed around with it a little bit and it feels pretty good in my hand. I didn't dry fire it, so I'm curious as to what the trigger feels like after seeing people discuss it. At least PRP has a solution. I'm kind of in the same line of thinking now as well when it comes to capacity. I thought about going with the XDm compact 45, but even then I want something a little smaller and not as wide. I just got a Gen3 Glock 26, but I might have to give the Hellcat a try.

As a Springfield XD user, PRP is amazing. I couldn't believe there was someone out there taking care of us Springfield guys.

I've been thinking about getting a Hellcat as well. I'd really like to get an XDs .45, but I can't find them anywhere right now, but a local shop has a Hellcat OSP. I messed around with it a little bit and it feels pretty good in my hand. I didn't dry fire it, so I'm curious as to what the trigger feels like after seeing people discuss it. At least PRP has a solution. I'm kind of in the same line of thinking now as well when it comes to capacity. I thought about going with the XDm compact 45, but even then I want something a little smaller and not as wide. I just got a Gen3 Glock 26, but I might have to give the Hellcat a try.
    The stock trigger feels clunky. Like it has 3 stages. The Apex just smoothes out the pull and gives your finger a better surface to mate up with.

The stock trigger feels clunky. Like it has 3 stages. The Apex just smoothes out the pull and gives your finger a better surface to mate up with.

This is a very good description of both the factory trigger and what the Apex does. The trigger surface is so much better on the Apex vs. the factory. Probably about as good as you can get a striker fired pistol.

I wouldn’t piss on Springfield Armory if they were on fire!!!

Hellcat vs. LCP, no contest! Oranges vs. Apples kinda thing...and the reason why is that they are two different animals obviously with different usage in mind.

Hellcat vs. LCP, no contest! Oranges vs. Apples kinda thing...and the reason why is that they are two different animals obviously with different usage in mind.

That did strike me as an odd comparison.

Reactions: Kir