• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from germany!

22lfb

lang für büchse
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2021
Kraut
Hi!

I've joined this forum from germany. For a couple of years I only shot air rifles in Field Target competitions. But now that I hold a fire arms license, I want to go further. Due to the very limited distances of german shooting ranges - I'm going with 22lr. In my mind it's more challenging than p.e. 308. Germany is not a good place for long range shooting. 50m ranges are pretty common. 100m ranges are a little less common - and 300m ranges are sparce. And beyond 300m - only 2-3 places (and they are expensive to book!). I've ordered a Bergara B14R Steel. Mainly because Vudoo and other high-end 22s are simply not available over here... Can't wait to take it to the 300m range!!

Any questions - ask.

Jan

Are you wanting to shoot BR for accuracy, or lear movement for hunting ?
Can you shoot 100m on private property for practice ?

Are you wanting to shoot BR for accuracy, or lear movement for hunting ?
Can you shoot 100m on private property for practice ?

Not exactly BR, but generell precision shooting. The big majority of shooting over here is bullseye shooting on paper. I could do - limited - shooting on public land with a Hunting Permit/License. But that's too expensive for me and the training course takes a lot of time. My country is not very shooting friendly. The only thing we can shoot on our own(!) property are air guns with a max. of 5.5 fpe.

Not exactly BR, but generell precision shooting. The big majority of shooting over here is bullseye shooting on paper. I could do - limited - shooting on public land with a Hunting Permit/License. But that's too expensive for me and the training course takes a lot of time. My country is not very shooting friendly. The only thing we can shoot on our own(!) property are air guns with a max. of 5.5 fpe.
Thanks for the info. At least you are shooting, so well done. That's awesome.

Welcome from Tampa Bay, Florida! I have been to Germany, several times. Spent time in Munich, Trier, Frankfurt and Koln.

I'm in the south west, close to the French border, a throw away from Strasbourg.

I lived with my aunt and uncle near Mettenheim and then visit my grandparents in Neugoblonze by Kaufbeuren. Those are a little ways east of you if I am correct.

That's basically on the other side of the country!

Btw. last time I visited the USA was in september 2001. My aunt lives near Ukiah, Calfornia. That's where I shot my first guns ever! A 357 magnum and a 12ga pump action shotgun!

Grüße aus Tampa, FL und herzlich willkommen! Das B14r ist eine gute Wahl, nicht am Ziehlfernrohr sparen ;) und SK / Lapua Munition
zu erhalten dürfte bei euch ja kein Problem sein.

My family goes back to the 1800's in the Lahr area, sounds like that's about where you are located. Welcome from Pennsylvania!

That's correct! (y)

I ask, because I do have some familiarity with the general vicinity.

In 1984, I made my first trip to Europe from the USA. This was prior to the Schengen agreement, so each country was separate with its own currency, frontiers, customs checks, etc. As part of that trip, I bought a 15 day Eurrailpass and traveled around by train. My point of arrival by air was Luxembourg. I spent most of the time in Belgium/France, initially to attend the wedding of a close friend in the area around Gembloux. Finally, I made my way to Basel, Switzerland where I actually had some family staying. From there, I traveled through Austria and arrived in Munich. Part of the German portion of the trip was to drive all around Frankfurt, Trier, Wittlich, etc. It was my 1st time driving the "Autobahn." I think I got all the way up to 110mph/178kph, and people were passing me! :confused: But I did learn one thing. Trucks still drive as slow as they do all over the world!

Anyway, I made my way back to Basel (from Koln) where I took a train back up through France to Luxembourg, where I caught my flight home.

And that's my story. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 22lfb
I was going to say "the Offenberg-Lahr" region, but figured I would pick one of the two LOL. When some people in our family were doing research on genealogy, we found we had a relative with our last name in Strasburg. Unfortunately he had no interest in learning about distant relatives in the United States. We do have one relative we found in Switzerland, but all his children are female so that will be the end of the name on that branch of the family tree.
If I can find some more exact location info, I'll contact you by PM. I do know they were silversmiths and came over in the 1800's

1800's sounds plausible, in the early 1800's there was a big reach for democracy and independence in our region ("Baden"). Which sparked a big Revolution in 1848. Before it, there was a big-ish migration to the USA, many people left the country in hope to find a better life. I still remember the huge festivities to celebrate the 150th year of the revolution in '98. A big part of the revolutionary movement formed in Offenburg in 1847. If my memory serves me right, we had guests of honour from the USA. There's even a New Offenburg somewhere in Missouri!

1800's sounds plausible, in the early 1800's there was a big reach for democracy and independence in our region ("Baden"). Which sparked a big Revolution in 1848. Before it, there was a big-ish migration to the USA, many people left the country in hope to find a better life. I still remember the huge festivities to celebrate the 150th year of the revolution in '98. A big part of the revolutionary movement formed in Offenburg in 1847. If my memory serves me right, we had guests of honour from the USA. There's even a New Offenburg somewhere in Missouri!

I didn't realize the Baden region extended that far. As it turns out, I used to work for the USA branch of a company with which you might be familiar. Its world HQ is in Ludwigshafen. :)