• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello my name is Tikka and i endorse this post.

Tikka action, custom barrel in the chassis of your choice. Hard to go wrong except Tikka actions sell quickly and at a premium for that reason.

I talked to a guy local to me who builds custom precision rifles and he was talking about 6k worth of rifle so thats where I got that but seeing the cost in this thread I'm going to start doing some research and figuring out which route to take. Thanks fellas

Whoever told you that literally thinks that you're a gullible retard.

I'll post again one more time...

Win70 push feed

IMG_20200214_211401_708.jpg

FN SPR crf

IMG_20200603_205117_994.jpg

Howa 1500

20200716_152822.jpg

SPR
M70
M70
HOWA1500

IMG_20200426_174654_190.jpg

The only thing I see the CRF actions having difficulty with is installing barrels. I say this because of the claw extractor. If I'm not mistaken, a reputable gunsmith should be able to install an aftermarket barrel just fine but some sort of relief cut would be needed. That may drive the price up for a re-barrel.

The push feed actions though, should be a bit more simple. While I don't know of anyone doing barrel nuts for them, I would imagine you could go the other route, which does not use the nut of course.

If you really want a switch barrel setup, the Howa is a good contender. McGowen makes a barrel nut so you could do 5 minute prefit barrel swaps in ur house.

This is what I would go with if not going with a Tikka or custom.

If I wasn’t trying to break the bank, I probably get a Remington 700 and have a gunsmith accurize it.
Or you could buy a tikka and it won't need accurizing.

The reason the Tikka action is popular for cheaper builds is you don't need a gun Smith to blue print it and don't need to buy an aftermarket trigger.

Reactions: silentheart
Or you could buy a tikka and it won't need accurizing.

The reason the Tikka action is popular for cheaper builds is you don't need a gun Smith to blue print it and don't need to buy an aftermarket trigger.

The new Mack Bros Evo puts the Rem 700 and true out of contention at the sub $600 price point... I think it also makes building off a Tikka a little less price competitive even if you just bought the action.

I think of my set up as the poor mans axmc, just no long action. I have three bolts and numerous barrels. 233, dasher, creedmoor, 6.5 saum. Accuracy wise you give nothing up with gunsmithed barrels. Cadex does have a chassis you can swap bottom metal on, could do a long action

Attachments

• DE78B0FB-ABF4-42FF-85CB-8843B0BADAC9.jpeg
    DE78B0FB-ABF4-42FF-85CB-8843B0BADAC9.jpeg
    973.4 KB · Views: 51
@RichardCranium You don't have to hit the lottery to have a 6k gun or Buy a TIkka. You just have to work harder than you are. Also when you bash a lot of members on here, reflect on this. Most of us have made the mistake that where trying to help you with. I know one person that is really descent at PRS running a RPR. The only reason he is running it, he is sponsored. He is arguably one of the top pistol shooters in the world. So if what you took was buy a TIkka or a 6k gun, buy the Tikka if you cant afford the 6k gun. Heed the warning of 1000's of shooters that obviously spent more time behind a rifle then you. They have already figured it out.

@RichardCranium You don't have to hit the lottery to have a 6k gun or Buy a TIkka. You just have to work harder than you are. Also when you bash a lot of members on here, reflect on this. Most of us have made the mistake that where trying to help you with. I know one person that is really descent at PRS running a RPR. The only reason he is running it, he is sponsored. He is arguably one of the top pistol shooters in the world. So if what you took was buy a TIkka or a 6k gun, buy the Tikka if you cant afford the 6k gun. Heed the warning of 1000's of shooters that obviously spent more time behind a rifle then you. They have already figured it out.

I never bashed anyone.... and I work my a$$ off to take care of my family and responsibilities. My question was simply that I know a Tikka is a phenomenal rifle. And a custom platform built by a reputable Smith is a tack driver but what about all the other options. Nowhere in my posts have I bashed or insinuated that I know more than anyone.

For what its worth I still like my first precision rifle based on a Remington 700. Criterion barrel, Tubb T7T trigger, Grayboe Renegade stock, PTG bottom metal. No additional work has been done to the receiver.

I also have a Defiance Deviant build, and while it is much nicer, the "custom" Rem700 will shoot right with it.

Ejection is about the same, no issues with the Rem extractor, and feeds reliably.

Where the Defiance shines is the overall fit and finish, integrated scope rail and recoil lug, and primary extraction is functional.

Well, crap. Now I gotta go buy a damn Tikka. Thanks a lot Hiders. I hope your pleased with yourself. 😆

Well, crap. Now I gotta go buy a damn Tikka. Thanks a lot Hiders. I hope your pleased with yourself. 😆
For a cheaper in into the LR Bolt action world when I started Savage was a great option and what I started with.

Tikka has come a LONG way since then mostly in the aftermarket department(they’re always been pretty nice) and what I’d consider first these days short of a custom action.

savages shoot amazing. Ugly as hell.
And they don't eject for shit, the factory and aftermarket triggers suck, action screw spacing is retarded, scope bases come loose constantly, are clunky, and they don't feed reliably. Customer service is a complete joke as well.

Reactions: 260284
The only thing I see the CRF actions having difficulty with is installing barrels. I say this because of the claw extractor. If I'm not mistaken, a reputable gunsmith should be able to install an aftermarket barrel just fine but some sort of relief cut would be needed. That may drive the price up for a re-barrel.

I don’t know about m70s but there are quite a few other crfs that are pretty easy to barrel change....arc origin etc would all work well are are simple savage type swaps.

I don’t know about m70s but there are quite a few other crfs that are pretty easy to barrel change....arc origin etc would all work well are are simple savage type swaps.

Yeah but OP mentioned that it's always tikka or custom that gets recommended so he is looking for something other than that, which is why I went m70 or Howa 1500.

I don't think he could go wrong with either of my recommendations as they are built really well with great features. Flat bottoms with integrated recoil lug are the two major ones that I think are a good plus!

The new Mack Bros Evo puts the Rem 700 and true out of contention at the sub $600 price point... I think it also makes building off a Tikka a little less price competitive even if you just bought the action.
This is a great point! I thought the Origin was a great buy, this is phenomenal. Plus a truly family owned and run business right in the heart of the USA. Heck their titanium action isn't much more than other high end stainless actions.

Not much to add that hasn’t already been said, but a few other things to consider in a tikka is a lot of guys like to tinker and there are aftermarket options for stocks/chassis, triggers, etc for a tikka.
an RPR for example, you’re stuck with it once you get it. Can’t change the chassis.
also, dude, if a smith is gonna charge you $6k for a custom build without glass you should shop around more. I’ve got quotes from some of the best smiths in the country with absolute top shelf components for less than that.

At $6k, you can get a TacOps Tango 51. Or AI and have the ability to change the barrels on whim. Different purpose rifles but it’s to illustrate what is out on the market.

Tikka T3 started production 17 years ago, on quality CNC machines with excellent trained people.. The results are that the 1+ millionth Tikka T3 is 99,98% equal to the 1st one made. Using quality machining and well paid people does that..

I rememeber 10+ years ago people here wouldn't choose nothing but a crooked rubbish Rem 700 and spend hundreds getting it up to snub.

US gun manufacturers has spent the last 15 years catching up in quality of machining and production.
Tikka did all that 17 years ago.. and people are still wondering why everybody prefers T3s now..

The Barrels are the same as Sakos.. hunting or TRG-22 barrels
The Trigger is interchangeable with Sako TRG-22
The recoil lug is like the TRG-22
The CTR uses TRG-22 magazines.
The plastic is though.. and I can remember on one-maybe two hands the times I have read about problems with it for 15+ years!!

In Scandinavia a Tikka T3x Lite stainless costs $1600...
And I belive its the most sold rifle in Scan, NZ & AUS.
I would buy as many T3x I could if I where living in the US... you are basically getting a heavily subsidized rifle.. :)
You dont know how lucky you are!

So.. The Tikka T3x, is a lighter sporterized Sako TRG-22 sniper rifle, made to function in sub-zero Finnish climate!!
The trigger is excellent.
The feeding is excellent.
The machining is excelent.
The plastic is tough and works.
Its user friendly, can be stripped and cleaned easily in the field.

For the prices you are getting them for... there is NO OTHER choice I would choose or recommend!!!
Nothing!

Last edited:
Tikka QC isn't that great. I've seen factory barrels from them missing rifling, and I've had a 243 bolt fail more than once.

Not to mention that Beretta as a company has the worst customer service and warranty of any gun manufacturer I've ever dealt with. Anything that is ever wrong with their firearms is automatically the customers fault.

Its funny how even on this post you can see some people with level headed opinions and valuable info and then you see the people that are deeply raged that I even questioned the possibility of purchasing anything but a Tikka or custom platform. Ahhhhhh the sweet smell of confirmation!

Ha! This made me laugh.. At least you didn't post this on the Accuracy International Thread.. Those guys can be vicious. :)

Owned a RPR ... felt cheap, shot just "OK", didn't own it long. Huge quality and accuracy difference between the RPR and my Tikka T3x TAC A1. IMHO - YMMV

I was able to handle my BIL's RPR after he got it and I can't say that it impressed me in terms of overall build quality and action smoothness. It just felt cheap to me as well just like Savage. I have owned a Savage 10FP which I sold and don't regret it. I've also had stock R700's and custom R700's.

I find my rifle/optic combos below to be a good compromise between value and performance, however, others probably think I'm being cheap and they wouldn't be good enough for them.

Sako TRG-22 in 308Win w/ Bushnell DMR II (15.2lbs)
Accuracy International AT in 308 Win w/ 3-18x50mm Vortex Gen II Razor (17.6lbs)
Desert Tech SRS A1 in 300WM (also have a 308 conversion kit) w/ Bushnell DMR II (15.8lbs)
Bighorn TL-2 in 223Rem (KRG Bravo) w/ Bushnell DMR II (13.4lbs)
Tikka CTR in 308 with a KRG Bravo (CTR mags) with 4.5-18x44mm Bushnell LRTS (12.2lbs)

preview

How many barrels did you see missing rifling?
Tikka QC isn't that great. I've seen factory barrels from them missing rifling, and I've had a 243 bolt fail more than once.

Not to mention that Beretta as a company has the worst customer service and warranty of any gun manufacturer I've ever dealt with. Anything that is ever wrong with their firearms is automatically the customers fault.

One in my very limited experience with Tikka/Sako.

That should have been caught during the final barrel lapping and inspection.

The threads with the red thumb tacks (stickys) are always on top of the bolt action section because alot of members on SH own these guns. The reason these guns are so popular and have their own sticky threads is because they have a proven track record of value, reliability, performance etc.. FYI the Tikka thread seems to be the most popular of all of them.. Obviously there are other guns out there just as good, but not as popular

@archangel485

Last edited: