• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Helmet hearing protection

jjwheeler2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2013
Utah
So I just took a huge jump into nv/thermal and need a little advice/guidance on the helmet. So far I've got one of the maritime abs helmets off Amazon, Rhino II mount and H-nape chinstrap. Have the dovetail conversion plate and 4d pads coming from TNVC. Have the IC D-14 mount from Mod Armory on the way. Left PVS-14 and right Breach mounts. Perst 4 laser on the way for aiming also have compatible aimpoint sights.

So basic setup out of the way, on the helmet it does have ARC rails, and I'm trying to figure out light mount and ear muffs mounts. I'm looking at the Howard Leight impact sport muffs and an inforce WMLX light. What I'm trying to find is a way to mount those without being too cumbersome. Or if there's better options I'm all ears. As you can see from the helmet setup currently I pretty much followed what's been posted here before.

The single most important thing on that entire helmet is the hearing protection. Even the night vision is less important. Howard Leight’s suck. I wouldn’t buy anything less than Ops Core AMP’s with NFMI plugs if I was in a place to be buying nods. Barebones, absolute baseline would be Peltor Comtac’s or MSA Sordins for helmet ear pro.

Helmet lights are really more admin lights. I think Surefire and Streamlight both make viable options.

I just don’t get the amazon helmet...

Went the Amazon helmet as it was in stock. Pretty much everyone else is back ordered for weeks/months. Everything that's going on it will be able to go to a better one when they are available. I'll take a look at the ones you're recommending.

Comtac IIIs can sometimes be found on Ebay for $300.'ish and 4D pads for $60.'ish

There is adapters for Howard Leights, have never used them so I can't say how they hold up. We have a bunch of Howard Leights for loaners at our range. The gel cup conversions are definitely worth it.

If you're going to go through the cost/ effort of helmet mounting I'd go with a set of Peltors or MSA Sordins, and definitely get gell cups. The Howard Leights don't have a great noise reduction rating (and that's before you're monkeying with them on helmet mounts), and they'll most likely require some retrofitting.

A set of ear pro with a back band (the Sordins come to mind) might be a good alternative if you don't want something permanently attached. I personally use in-ear, as most of my night shooting is subsonic with a supressor. Will eventually end up with a second helmet with ear pro, but a lot of my nv usage is walking around and using an atv, where having ear pro isn't necessary.

Inforce light should be fine for a helmet. Pretty sure it has good spill, so will be useful for a variety of tasks.

Reactions: Lowdown3
I have the Howard’s, had all sorts of comtacs and sordins. I never would have believed the amp would be the way to go but oh wow is it, it just works so good. Worth every penny.

Been using the Ottos since the beginning of the summer and super impressed with the sound quality and battery life. Wayyyy simpler to deal with clearance and mounting issues because they're in-ear rather than muffs. For indoor rifle ranges I throw muffs on top. They're awesome in the summer heat - just remember to put sunscreen on your ears!

This guy might be able to help you out.

I grabbed some of those for hunting. They're alright in that application, but I will never train with just plugs anymore. Plugs are cool for pistols and for an occasional hunting shot. Anything more and you should be running muffs, or muffs and plugs. I stand by my comment of AMPs, Comtacs or Sordins. A $10,000 helmet solution is NOT the time to go cheap on hearing protection.

And just a bit more feedback on the Ottos - I've certainly never felt like the supplied rubber tips are not enough noise protection for my young non-battle-deafened ears. Only time I wanted more protection was when rifles were being fired in a small indoor range (25yd, all concrete). Up until I got the Ottos I was a diehard DEHP user and still use them often for loaners or when it's chilly out and I'm being a wuss. The Ottos have been fantastic at all-day and multi-day events where I might even forget to take them out at lunch - all-day wear is perfectly comfortable with great pass-through sound quality. I don't have hands-on with the TEP/LEP units.