• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help 1/2 groups at 100 and 5'' at 200

snipe83p

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Remington pss with wyatt bottom metal and the reat of the gun is all factory with a super sniper 10x. The gun shoots bugholes at 100 but at 200 it opens up to 5''.

Re: Help 1/2 groups at 100 and 5'' at 200

What type of ammo?

As previously mentioned, have someone else try it as well. If factory, those heavy triggers can cause errant shots as distance increases if you aren't careful.

How's the sight picture? Are you seeing edge to edge? Is there an adjustment for parallax?

Uh, you might try moving another hundred yards away from the black hole...event horizon and all, you know.

Seriously, some more specifics might help with the diagnosis (type of ammo, does this happen with more than one ammo, MV of ammo, wind conditions, etc.). That amount of change in shot dispersion between 100 and 200 yd is enormous, but assuming you're not <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> right at the edge of a black hole, there must be a reason. The key is to identify as many variables as possible to try and get a handle on what it could be. More often than not, it comes down to 1) shooter (no offense intended), 2) ammo, 3) scope, 4) conditions... and so forth. Having someone else try it can possibly answer #1. The others you can check yourself by making sure scope mounting is solid, trying other ammo, shooting at variuos ranges in between 100 and 200 yd.

You must be shooting 308. Rebarrel to 6.5 and problem solved... :p Just joking...hope you get it figured out

Conditions or you.

A interesting question, are you dialing in your drop or holding over? May have a consistant problem in your scope at that adjustment.

Only thing that pops out at me other then you

All the ammo is handloads( 35.8 grns of reloader 15 with 210 fed primers and 175 smk) this is the load that I came up with by doing a latter test between there different powders. I have had someone else shoot it and it was the same results. The scope is an adjustable parallax. The trigger is.factory but is worked over buy my smith. Hope that's enough info to maybe help a little more.

Base bedded and torqued, rings quality and torqued?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipe83p</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the ammo is handloads( 35.8 grns of reloader 15 with 210 fed primers and 175 smk) </div></div> If that is truly your reloading numbers and it is not a typing error then you are really low in your feet per second - I would take a bet that you are shooting around 1800-2000 fps with that grain range - a lot of gap is left in the casing. . For a 308 using RL15 you should be in 43-45 grain range. Get some factory Federal Gold Medal Match rounds and try it at 200 and 300 if you have the distance at your range and see what the results are. If you rifle shoots bug holes at 100 then if all things are equal your gun should shoot 1/2 MOA at 200 unless it is the shooter, ammo, or scope. It would seem if your getting 5" at 200 that is the ammunition as it must not be consistent. I don't care where your 200 yard group is on the target as long as they are in a group. I am betting it is the ammunition.

+1

Try 43 or 44grs of RL15 seated at 2.81 coal and see if it doesn't improve.

Between a 1:12, very low velocity and long 175 your load probably barely stabilized. Any evidence of tumbling? I would suspect inconsistent ignition to be evident at 100 as well. Up your charge to 42-44gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Between a 1:12, very low velocity and long 175 your load probably barely stabilized. Any evidence of tumbling? I would suspect inconsistent ignition to be evident at 100 as well. Up your charge to 42-44gr. </div></div>+1 Ive never used that powder but it seems really low. Find your max charge and go 1-2 grains under it. if you want to shoot that charge id suggest getting lighter bullets.

The best thing to do would be to go buy some factory rounds and check 100-200yd groups. I dont thing you need match ammo, my remmy 308 could stay sub moa with 147gr pmc and 150gr american eagle. just dont go to wallmart and buy remington or winchester soft points, theyre horrible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipe83p</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the ammo is handloads( 35.8 grns of reloader 15 with 210 fed primers and 175 smk)</div></div>

Agree that this is really low and could be causing some problems. what is the drop between 100 and 200? What is the group doing? is it vertical or horizontal of splatter pattern? we need more info on the whole situation.

The drop is about 8''. The max load out of the seirra book 41.2 I believe and didn't group for shit. I would like to stick with the 175grns for better performance at longer ranges so any loads you guys might have to try would be greatly appreciated. Would also like to know what some of the max powder charges would b for other powders. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipe83p</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The drop is about 8''. The max load out of the seirra book 41.2 I believe and didn't group for shit. I would like to stick with the 175grns for better performance at longer ranges so any loads you guys might have to try would be greatly appreciated. Would also like to know what some of the max powder charges would b for other powders. Thanks </div></div>

They have not updated that info in 20yrs. atleast, there max load is about were you should start!

As mentioned previously, 43-44gr RL15. Trust us, it works! 43grs of RL15 and 178amax's (similar to 175smk) seated at 2.82 give me 1.14" groups at 300 in my 700p.

I've looked through a few manuals, and most don't recommend a load below 41grs.

Check out the reloading section in the forums. You'll find plenty of data, and few if any loads are at or below 41.2.

not bad for a 22! oh, wait, sorry, thought i was on the rimfire forum...

wink.gif

Try some FGMM Ammo and see what happens.