• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help a platform near virgin.

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    I am on a quest for a precision 223. I have a 15 now, who would have the best 20” complete upper for $400-800 tops? I want a sub MOA with 75grains. Or should I just re barrel what I have and get a long hand guard? I’m leary of this route as I read all the time of of people trying to build their own and getting sub par returns. I’m not a tinkerer by hobby. I want it to work and shoot good.
    1.5 MOA is not acceptable in my book.

Reactions: baroslifestyle
    As said before CLE or Jp is your best bet. White oak is at the top of your price point.

Or call CLE and order a barrel. An hour in labor you will have built what you want.

Reactions: Bender
    I bet the Forum's search function would be really useful for you to use.
    Really? You’re here three whole days and you are going to tell a long time member to search first? Why don't you not be a dick and actually do the search for him and post it for all of us if you know so fucking much?

I bet the Forum's search function would be really useful for you to use.

Bahhahahahahah some hard core punisher newb is trolling @Bender ... Better watch your pigeons boy lololol

White oak... Possibly true the face of the receiver... Possibly bond the barrel extension into the receiver

20" are overrated just run a 16" class barrel

I was going to say take a look at an RRA predator pursuit upper, they were on sale a while back for $500. Just checked, and it looks like the recent panic may have AR parts back at full retail everywhere

I had a 20” RRA PP, it was the best shooting upper I’ve owned.

That said Id look at white oak or craddock precision if you can spend $800ish

Last edited:
    The white oak 3 gun uppers are nice. 18” barrel, 3 choices of barrel weight. $710 to your door ready to slap on your lower. Very reliable, very accurate.

White Oak 18” rifle gas spr is 275 at brownells. Coupon codes go out there fairly regularly. I have built two uppers with that barrel and with rl15 or Varget and 75hpbt or 77tmk you’ll be sub moa fairly easy.
    And if you have the tools you could have an upper together for less than a prebuilt from White Oak

RRA predator pursuit has a pretty good reputation also. Mine was was sub MOA.

Its not hard to screw one together either. Just watch a couple key points and you will have good results.

Everyone has recommended pretty good offerings for the price range. You will get the best value out of assembling an upper, imo.

They are pretty easy to build and nowadays even if you don't have the tools necessary to build one, you can usually find a friend locally who does or could probably even find someone on here to help get it together.

I would get a decent upper, I'm a fan of PRI uppers and VLTOR MUR. Avoid the cheaper ones as they have a tendency to be warped or out of spec.

The barrel is what is going to be the deciding factor for accuracy. There's a myriad choices for good AR barrels anymore. I'm partial to Douglas and Criterion for the price point, turned by CLE or Craddock. Kreiger, Bartlein, WOA, Keystone, etc. Get a headspaced bolt with it then it's your choice of bolt carrier, gas block, handguard, etc...

It's going to be at the upper end of your price range, but if you want a complete upper, I would seriously consider giving Craddock Precision a look. They can build you a complete upper right around $800 and it will be right. Same goes for CLE or Keystone Accuracy.

I like the 20" AR, it's one of my favorites. An 18" or even a quality 16" will get you there too. It just depends on what your after. If it's going to be a gun for paper punching and target shooting at longer range, go with the 20".

Reactions: lash
    Have a 20 in Bartlein heavy service contour blank getting turned as we speak so hopefully that will be a good barrel.

Great suggestions already-WOA etc-can't go wrong and great value.

Off the shelf ready to ship 1 MOA upper-I can't really think of any in that price range that I have personally tried. I read on this forum all the time how people are getting "1/2moa all day" with Palmetto uppers and the like. I personally have not gotten sub-moa consistently from a non stainless barrel. I have a KAC chromed barrel that is starting to break-in and approach 1 moa. LMT NZ rifle the same. My KAC LPR is a sub moa gun-18" SS Krieger barrel.

Reactions: TACC
    1586099530604.jpeg

I won't get into an endless war of what brand is best.

But since you do not like to tinker here are some things to ensure you dont have too.

Get a barrel that is black.
    Get an agb block installed.
    Get the receiver lapped off "squared up ".

With that done there should be no reason for you to dissasemble anything needing tools.

You may have the need to change springs or buffers in the lower going from carbine to 20 inches but all you need to do is depress the catch pin.

The agb may make any further adjustments a mute point.

I'm to far out to drive over and do it but as was mentioned lots of members closer to you.

Reactions: Zeroit
    Someone may want to discuss twist rates for a 20 inch shooting 75gr.

Save more money, build one gun. What do you have now?
    I have a mid level? Stag arms small gas block with simple round hand guard. I’m a bolt gun guy. I’m still deciding. I get the AR bug, think a20” heavy barrel would be amazing, then I go research uppers, some pre made shoot, some group like 2.5 MOA, I get nervous, ask the hide about it. Chicken out, then go back to my bolt guns, only to repeat this again in another year because I forget how many variables are in a semi auto platform. Oh yeah, then I remember it can beat up brass... so I get scared again cuz I’m not mr money bags.

Reactions: mahlv
    White Oak barrel will get you there.
    I have a 18" & 20" white oak armory 223/556 that are tack drivers. The rest I pieced together myself.

Love white oak armory so much I am now waiting for a 24" 224 valkrie barrel coming, at least a 6 week wait .

What trigger is in it?

Can you even shoot better than 1.5" with a semi?
    I will be honest, I put a simple red dot on it, made sure it could run a full mag without hiccup, then put it back in the safe. Not much interest from me in the platform. But a 20” that shot near as good as a bolt would be fun at my top secret pdog town. Plus I could drag my wife or son with me as well.

I went with 1:7.7 twist but that’s just because that’s what buddy had when I traded him for blank. I want to shoot 77 SMKs. This is a rebarrel of my 22 Nosler as well and it shot great. Simple barrel/bolt change should shoot just as good but have more ammo choices. I didn’t have to change bolts but bought a new Seekins to have headspaced to the barrel when it was built. Also bought a WOA competition series barrel extension.

I will be honest, I put a simple red dot on it, made sure it could run a full mag without hiccup, then put it back in the safe. Not much interest from me in the platform. But a 20” that shot near as good as a bolt would be fun at my top secret pdog town. Plus I could drag my wife or son with me as well.

Maybe try a scope or magnifier on it. It might shoot fine as is. But I would put a better trigger in it before anything. Imo that makes the most difference of any upgrade.

Maybe try a scope or magnifier on it. It might shoot fine as is. But I would put a better trigger in it before anything. Imo that makes the most difference of any upgrade.
    I suppose I should see what it’s doing first huh, lol. I need a longer hand guard for sure. No place for a bipod.

I suppose I should see what it’s doing first huh, lol. I need a longer hand guard for sure. No place for a bipod.

What's on it now? Does it have a short free float or the original style round handguard with an A2 front sight?

I was in a similar position a few years ago. Decided to build one. Dizzying array of parts so I can see where confusion and ambiguity set in. Swore I would never own one.
    Built one. Than another. And another. And the girls each need one. It became a disease.

You willhave less frustration starting from scratch then trying to upgrade what you have.
    You’ll understand how they work better for when things start to run poorly or not at all.

Short free float. I’ll go snap a pic. Pretty middle of the road 5 years ago.
    I have a mostly stock 16” carbine with A2 round front and front sight that shoots fine out to 300, but is no match rifle. Nor is it expected to be so. I then built a heavy barrel match style rifle that is great fun and shoots very well. Night and day, but different purposes for each. Worth it to put one together yourself though, in my opinion.

basic. I might just start with a 15” handguard and bipod with a scope and see what it does first.

CDB9EA24-A650-4D06-90EF-F3E462F14BCC.jpeg
    3A481E79-95FA-440D-A2E6-17EDDB31D779.jpeg
    CEFB6FC6-5FE2-4F8D-827D-0B9A1C32984E.jpeg

I have a mostly stock 16” carbine with A2 round front and front sight that shoots fine out to 300, but is no match rifle. Nor is it expected to be so. I then built a heavy barrel match style rifle that is great fun and shoots very well. Night and day, but different purposes for each. Worth it to put one together yourself though, in my opinion.
    I can have prairie dogs from under 100 to 1000+. My record is 650yds with 55g bt out of my 700 tactical.

basic. I might just start with a 15” handguard and bipod with a scope and see what it does first.

View attachment 7291226View attachment 7291227View attachment 7291228

Not bad, along with the hand guard look at putting a new grip and stock. Something like an Ergo or even the Houge kit. It will make it alot more comfortable to shoot and lessen felt recoil.
    Inexpensive upgrades but make it feel like a whole new rifle.
    Or
    And

As far as accuracy goes a trigger is going to be your best bang for the buck. Lots of decent ones for under $100 but if you have the money they get better.

Not bad, along with the hand guard look at putting a new grip and stock. Something like an Ergo or even the Houge kit. It will make it alot more comfortable to shoot and lessen felt recoil.
    Inexpensive upgrades but make it feel like a whole new rifle.
    Or
    And

As far as accuracy goes a trigger is going to be your best bang for the buck. Lots of decent ones for under $100 but if you have the money they get better.
    I’ve been window shopping.

You already have a decent platform to upgrade.
    No different than a bolt gun, good barrel and good trigger 90+% of the equation.
    I have built (assembled parts) many ARs.
    Three of which, I call "long range"
    18 or 20" barrels rifle or mid length gas tubes with adjustable gas blocks.
    The 18" will shoot sub moa with 62g green tips factory lake city, even with my old shakey ass.
    That 18 inch barrel was about $221,
    Hand guard with barrel nut about $200.
    Adjustable gas block $100.
    Trigger $100.
    And you're almost there.
    Throw in $ 25 for a real grip.

I’ve been window shopping.

Nice, that ergo grip is a fatty. Good if you have big hands.

I would look for an all M-lock hand guard as there are more compatible accessories. That rail looks like it uses proprietary pic rails.

Check this out. Midwest is solid. I've had a couple.

Last edited:
    I read virgin and had to what’s up.

I second some of the Rock river options as well as a CLE.

Factory ammo?
    Or reloading?
    When using factory ammo, I’ve by far had the best luck with Hornady.

I am on a quest for a precision 223. I have a 15 now, who would have the best 20” complete upper for $400-800 tops? I want a sub MOA with 75grains. Or should I just re barrel what I have and get a long hand guard? I’m leary of this route as I read all the time of of people trying to build their own and getting sub par returns. I’m not a tinkerer by hobby. I want it to work and shoot good.
    1.5 MOA is not acceptable in my book.

send your upper to WOA or CLE for a new matched bolt and barrel.

What are your thoughts on a JP set with cooling fins? Kinda pricey but if it lasts and is accurate.