• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help appreciated. Round shadow in scope?

Unrat3d

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2022
Canada
Hey guys, I have TT’s 5-25’s and they have something strange happening. Pretty much a perfectly round shadow all the sudden appears in the scope, and slowly fades away. I think I notice it after a shot is fired. Some have said is it because of cold and the heat from the barrel, and to exhale on the optic to see if I see the same thing, and I have not been able to duplicate it. Nobody seems to know.

Any ideas?

This is a very bad 3 second drawing. I have a perfect sight picture and a big perfectly round faint shadowy circle appears, and very slowly fades away after 10-20 seconds

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpeg
    IMG_1802.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 30
You say you have multiple TT 5-25's, is this happening to all of them or to just one? What you describe sounds like an issue with eye relief, has your scope possibly slipped in the rings, can this phenomenon be "fixed" by moving your eye closer or further away from the back of the scope? What doesn't make sense is your comment about it "fading away after 10-20 seconds" that seems ghostly ;) Does it only happen after you fire a shot then you look through scope, see the shadow and then watch it slowly fade away? Do you have anything mounted to the front of the scope?

I hope you’re not having a retinal detachment…although what you describe doesn’t exactly fit my experiences.

Check your scope ring torque. Check your fundamentals and body position. If you suspect anything mechanical at all call up Armament Inc, explain the situation, then ask for a call tag. Afterwards hit up your ophthalmologist for an eye check.

Reactions: Unrat3d
You say you have multiple TT 5-25's, is this happening to all of them or to just one? What you describe sounds like an issue with eye relief, has your scope possibly slipped in the rings, can this phenomenon be "fixed" by moving your eye closer or further away from the back of the scope? What doesn't make sense is your comment about it "fading away after 10-20 seconds" that seems ghostly ;) Does it only happen after you fire a shot then you look through scope, see the shadow and then watch it slowly fade away? Do you have anything mounted to the front of the scope?
I noticed it in 2 of them, and I’m going to test the 3rd. Nope, scope hasn’t slipped. And it can not be fixed, no matter where I move my head or eye, it just fades away on its own. Nothing mounted in front. I notice it after shooting and see it appear and slowly disappear

I hope not lmao
Detracted retina commonly displays any of these three symptoms:

1. Repeatedly flashing white light in one eye

2. Snow globe like effect in your vision

3. Curtain coming down partially over your vision.

After cataract surgery, my eye doc made me memorize these three and if I saw any one of them then to call as an emergency.

After cataract surgery, my eye doc made me memorize these three and if I saw any one of them then to call as an emergency.
You can also have a “shadow” appear anywhere. That’s what happened to me (fucking twice! Once in each eye. Grrrr)

You can’t “look” at the shadow. It’s sort of a peripheral vision loss (even it’s not in the periphery). You look at it and it disappears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
I noticed it in 2 of them, and I’m going to test the 3rd. Nope, scope hasn’t slipped. And it can not be fixed, no matter where I move my head or eye, it just fades away on its own. Nothing mounted in front. I notice it after shooting and see it appear and slowly disappear
If you have it happening on multiple scopes I'm more inclined to think it could be your eye, but a note to ATI would rule out any strange anomalies they might be aware of. How about getting someone else at the range to shoot your rifle and see if they notice the same.

What are the weather conditions like when this occurs.?
Does it ALWAYS occur?
You say it fades away after your shout, does it come back after the next shot?
Does it do it for every shot?
Do you have a brake on your rifle? If so, what type?
What caliber are we talking about?

If you have it happening on multiple scopes I'm more inclined to think it could be your eye, but a note to ATI would rule out any strange anomalies they might be aware of. How about getting someone else at the range to shoot your rifle and see if they notice the same.

This.

Guy I used to work with got an emergency eye surgery last month. Showed up to work, everything normal, all of a sudden he's got shadows and weirdness in his left eye. 48 hours later he's 2 states away getting his eye filled with nitrogen after surgery and told to lay face down for 2 weeks while his retina re-attatches....

This.

Guy I used to work with got an emergency eye surgery last month. Showed up to work, everything normal, all of a sudden he's got shadows and weirdness in his left eye. 48 hours later he's 2 states away getting his eye filled with nitrogen after surgery and told to lay face down for 2 weeks while his retina re-attatches....
Hmmmmm sounds familiar lol. Except the two states away part.

That face-down 24/7 for two weeks was fucking torture. Those massage tables and chairs look comfortable right? THEY ARE NOT when using them for 24hrs a day.

One eye still has that bubble floating in it. Have roughly a month for it to disappear. Then there is the wait for the pupil to shrink down to regular size…side-effect of the laser stitching.

Last edited:
What are the weather conditions like when this occurs.?
Does it ALWAYS occur?
You say it fades away after your shout, does it come back after the next shot?
Does it do it for every shot?
Do you have a brake on your rifle? If so, what type?
What caliber are we talking about?
Hard to describe because it’s been in a variety, I notice it in the conditions lately, which have been on the slightly cooler side, both cloudy and sunny.
Doesn’t always occur, just sometimes after a shot.
419 competition brake
on my axmc in 308 and 300 win mag. And my prs 6.5 creedmoor

I don’t think it’s that, my dad has noticed it as well

Reactions: Baron23
My dad has seen it also