• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help AR10 mega/armalite build

flynlow3

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
IL, EFFINGHAM
I made one screw up and hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

This is what I purchased.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...102#Post3593102

It is a Mega Upper with Noveske barrel ect... as described in the thread.

I have a couple of questions. This will only fit an "Armalite" Lower correct?

Will the timney ar10 trigger fit in the armalite lower? I ask because the one I purchased did not fit in my DPMS lower for .308. The pins felt as if they would just slide right out.

Will any parts kit fit the armalite .308 or do I have to purchase the armalite only parts kit. I really dont need all the parts since I plan to use a timney trigger and a different grip. any way to purchase just the few parts I would need?

Mag pul PRS stock is interchangeable between the dpms and armalite platform correct?

Are the dpms and armalite mags different?

I searched and the search on this site is terrible. Sorry if these subjects have been covered.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help AR10 mega/armalite build

Mega uppers only "fit" with Mega lowers. Mega uses DPMS format mags (p-mag, etc) and Armalite uses a different style unless its one of there new ones. Any lower parts kit will work, but you should snag 308 bolt catch. Midway sells most parts individually if you just need a bit here and there. The PRS is interchangeable but be certain to use the 308 version, it has a chopped cheek riser to clear the longer charging handle.

-Just like 338FedAR10 stated, the Mega uppers only match up with Mega lowers.

-your Noveske Barrel extention is Armalite pattern and needs to be matched up with an Armalite AR-10 BCG.

-You can use an AR-15 LPK.
The parts you will need out of the Lower parts kit are as follows
- mag catch
- mag catch spring
- mag catch button
- bolt catch*
- bolt catch bearing
- bolt catch spring
- selector switch
- selector detent
- selector spring
- buffer catch
- buffer catch spring
- pistol grip
- pistol grip screw and lock washer
*Some recommended to use a DPMS .308 Bolt Catch.

You can buy LPK without trigger for $30-$35
-use the AR15 timney tigger

Regarding the stock...you can use commercial or milspec stock tube with the respected buttstock. You will need to use an AR-10 or LR308 buffer/spring. (PM has more info)

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">-The MaTen upper uses a DPMS threading where the barrel is inserted. So make sure your rail/handguard takes a DPMS barrel nut.</span> (ETA: just clicked on the link to look at your upper...)

I sent you a PM with more information.

Get the MA TEN stripped lower.
It will work fine with the upper.
You will need a Amalite based BCG other than that everything will work fine including the Timney.
You will need a buffer and spring for the 308 (not specific to Armalite or DPMS) ~ recommend Slash's product.
Nice upper.

Sometimes it's a good idea to speak from firsthand knowledge instead of what you heard from a friend of a friend:

IMG_2028.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">HOWEVER, I suggest you use a Mega Lower with your Mega Upper. The Mega MATEN lower has features the AR10 lower does not and it will fit and look better.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a couple of questions. This will only fit an "Armalite" Lower correct?</div></div>

Yes, but it is recommended that you use a Mega Arms MATEN lower. You will be more satisfied with the final product and you may have to do some tinkering to get the feeding correct with the AR10 lower. Additionally the Mega lower will allow you to use cheaper/readily available mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Will the timney ar10 trigger fit in the armalite lower? I ask because the one I purchased did not fit in my DPMS lower for .308. The pins felt as if they would just slide right out. </div></div>

Yes. It should also fit the Mega lower just fine. If you have issues with pin size, then pickup a KNS pin set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will any parts kit fit the armalite .308 or do I have to purchase the armalite only parts kit.</div></div>

Most lower parts are interchangeable between AR15 and 308 ARs. If you go with a Mega MATEN Lower it may come with the takedown pins and bolt catch pre-installed. In that case you just need a selector, mag release, buffer retainer and spring.

Mag pul PRS stock is interchangeable between the dpms and armalite platform correct? </div></div>

Just make sure you get the .308 version. The AR15 version will not work properly.

Are the dpms and armalite mags different?</div></div>

Yes. They are not cross-compatible.

This also may be helpful:

Mega Arms MATEN Build Series

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the MA TEN stripped lower.
It will work fine with the upper.
You will need a Amalite based BCG other than that everything will work fine including the Timney.
You will need a buffer and spring for the 308 (not specific to Armalite or DPMS) ~ recommend Slash's product.
Nice upper. </div></div>

The slash buffer is only needed if you choose to run an AR15 length receiver extension and AR15 buffer spring. If you get the slightly longer AR308 extension you can use the armalite suggested buffer and spring. This will save around $30 or so and all you lose is the ability for you to close your standard ar15 collapsible stock all the way. The ar308 receiver extension is about a half inch longer than the ar15 RE. So your collapsible stock will be that half inch away from collapsing all the way.

This does not apply to the UBR. If you get a UBR you need a Slash buffer I believe.

This is the setup I have in my MaTen with Noveske barrel.

A personal note: I can appreciate Slash's (an ar15.com member) efforts in creating the Slash buffer but what I don't appreciate is his price tag. That buffer is $100 and all it is is an H3 (which armalite says to put in the ar10 and costs $38) cut down that half inch mentioned above and its price is raised $61. Again, great innovation and ingenuity on Slash's part, but that price is ridiculous for what it is IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is more to it than I am aware, but for that cost difference for a near identical product, I cannot justify that to my wallet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes it's a good idea to speak from firsthand knowledge instead of what you heard from a friend of a friend:

IMG_2028.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">HOWEVER, I suggest you use a Mega Lower with your Mega Upper. The Mega MATEN lower has features the AR10 lower does not and it will fit and look better.</span> </div></div>

What is the fun in that....???...???