• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help building my 20" DMR

Chicory01

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2017
Good evening,

I'm currently looking at creating a 20" DMR style upper to shoot suppressed 77GR TMK/SMK.

So far I have it narrowed down to a 20" Krieger 1/7" or 1/7.7 upper from CLE with a matched bolt and hoping they can install a rail as well. I would greatly appreciate any input you may have regarding CLE vs Wylde, gas blocks, bolt carrier groups, anything that will help extrapolate this barrels full potential under a suppressor.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Get a good thick walled upper like a VLTOR MUR. SLR gas block. If you go rifle +1 has you don’t really need a gas mitigating BCG. I really like the RCA gen 3 these days, young is also really good. LMT enhanced is the king dingaling but you’ll wait who knows how long or pay $600+ to get one in todays climate.

Get a good thick walled upper like a VLTOR MUR. SLR gas block. If you go rifle +1 has you don’t really need a gas mitigating BCG. I really like the RCA gen 3 these days, young is also really good. LMT enhanced is the king dingaling but you’ll wait who knows how long or pay $600+ to get one in todays climate.
I am interested in this thread and recently used the VLTOR Mur on an SBR. For long range application, should the upper be trued by a gun smith or at least checked?

Not the MUR. It’ll be straight.

Consider a craddock barrel.

Adjustable gas is good, I would run a JP bolt and carrier.

Many of the rails out there suck - consider a Geiselle.

Also, if I were doing a max accuracy build I would try scoring a Larue Stealth 2.0 rail and upper. The guy isn’t popular round here cause he’s a dick, but man he makes good stuff. The 2.0 has the rail mount to the upper not the barrel nut and that does help some.

Not the MUR. It’ll be straight.

Consider a craddock barrel.

Adjustable gas is good, I would run a JP bolt and carrier.

Many of the rails out there suck - consider a Geiselle.

Also, if I were doing a max accuracy build I would try scoring a Larue Stealth 2.0 rail and upper. The guy isn’t popular round here cause he’s a dick, but man he makes good stuff. The 2.0 has the rail mount to the upper not the barrel nut and that does help some.

Yep he makes some damn fine stuff. His triggers and uppers are excellent. Just ordered one of his uppers the other day.

I am interested in this thread and recently used the VLTOR Mur on an SBR. For long range application, should the upper be trued by a gun smith or at least checked?

Yep no reason to and don’t lap it either. Bed the extension with loctite 620, bolt on your favorite forend and send it.

I have a bartlein 1-7.7, 18 inch with a matched Seekins bolt, WOA competition barrel extension, and adjustable GB. It has a wylde chamber and shoots 77g very well.

Reactions: Chicory01
agreed. if you order a CLE/craddock 100 times 90 of them will be great.

WOA i have had about 10 of and 4 were stellar.

Good evening,

I'm currently looking at creating a 20" DMR style upper to shoot suppressed 77GR TMK/SMK.

So far I have it narrowed down to a 20" Krieger 1/7" or 1/7.7 upper from CLE with a matched bolt and hoping they can install a rail as well. I would greatly appreciate any input you may have regarding CLE vs Wylde, gas blocks, bolt carrier groups, anything that will help extrapolate this barrels full potential under a suppressor.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.zevtechnologies.com/556_matched_billet_receiver_set
https://www.zevtechnologies.com/wedge_lock_hand_guard_556-16

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019039852

https://www.opticsplanet.com/jp-ent...23-caliber.html?_iv_code=J5-BCG-223BC-JPBC-2A

https://www.primaryarms.com/slr-rifleworks-sentry-7-set-screw-adjustable-gas-block-.750

Don't get a CLE chamber. It only shoots 77SMK worth a damn. A Wylde chamber will as well but it will shoot other bullets well too.

Noted about the chamber, thanks for the heads up

Noted about the chamber, thanks for the heads up
The CLE chamber has a shorter throat so it's more like a match 223.

The CLE chamber has a shorter throat so it's more like a match 223.
Good info. I only plan on shooting SMK and TMK through this rifle, so the CLE would be the go to?

CLE has a strong following in NRA Highpower, where we shoot mostly 77gr and some 80gr SMK. However, if you think you might end up using other NATO stuff then maybe consider the Wylde.

I am new to all of this just so you know, but I also built a SPR/DMR for my first and probably last rifle. After reading around and antagonizing for weeks, I ended up going with a Daniel Defense V7 PRO as the platform for it.

The Barrel being the main reason, but man are there a lot of reasons for it, such as the entire thing, BCG, upper, barrel, everything is rated for full auto and accuracy, its a work horse.

Without sidetracking from your question about barrels too much theirs checks every box, - 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 Twist, 18" S2W Profile, Chrome Lined, Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated, and HP/MPI Tested

It's a really nice barrel and barely weights more than the 16". Now since you are asking about uppers, theirs is also really good - Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized

Another great thing is that they cold hammer forged the chamber when they make the barrel and marry them, it's oh so nice. So, I know you can buy their barrel stand alone, but you may want to look into seeing if you can purchase the upper and married chamber with it. I'm not sure if that's an option, but you can't go wrong with that barrel and 18" is plenty since you are like me and running it suppressed. Remember that will turn your 20" into a 25 real quick and that is if you run one of the smaller suppressors! So I was more than happy with the 18" length since I was running it suppressed the velocity is still outstanding and I have a barrel that is only 20 and change suppressor included, just something to consider.

I will link this barrel resource that has to be the best one ever written out of everything I read it was the best. It might help you decide, but the DD 18" has my vote.

CLE has a strong following in NRA Highpower, where we shoot mostly 77gr and some 80gr SMK. However, if you think you might end up using other NATO stuff then maybe consider the Wylde.
Can you explain why the CLE doesn’t handle lighter rounds as well?

I am new to all of this just so you know, but I also built a SPR/DMR for my first and probably last rifle. After reading around and antagonizing for weeks, I ended up going with a Daniel Defense V7 PRO as the platform for it.

The Barrel being the main reason, but man are there a lot of reasons for it, such as the entire thing, BCG, upper, barrel, everything is rated for full auto and accuracy, its a work horse.

Without sidetracking from your question about barrels too much theirs checks every box, - 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 Twist, 18" S2W Profile, Chrome Lined, Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated, and HP/MPI Tested

It's a really nice barrel and barely weights more than the 16". Now since you are asking about uppers, theirs is also really good - Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized

Another great thing is that they cold hammer forged the chamber when they make the barrel and marry them, it's oh so nice. So, I know you can buy their barrel stand alone, but you may want to look into seeing if you can purchase the upper and married chamber with it. I'm not sure if that's an option, but you can't go wrong with that barrel and 18" is plenty since you are like me and running it suppressed. Remember that will turn your 20" into a 25 real quick and that is if you run one of the smaller suppressors! So I was more than happy with the 18" length since I was running it suppressed the velocity is still outstanding and I have a barrel that is only 20 and change suppressor included, just something to consider.

I will link this barrel resource that has to be the best one ever written out of everything I read it was the best. It might help you decide, but the DD 18" has my vote.

You need to try more barrels and learn more.

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
It will do fine with lighter bullets
Could you quantify that statement. There are multiple comments that lighter rounds shoot ‘okay.’ Is this people expecting 1/2moa groups and anything bigger is crap? My CLE-wylde is 1/2moa with 75gr hornady match and 1 moa with 68gr frontier… and that perfectly acceptable for my practical purposes. Are people that bag on the CLE chamber just expecting too much?

I would agree with Smoothy that a Wylde will likely do better. I had one CLE chamber Bartlein and the only thing it shot really well was 77gr SMKs. The Wylde chambers I have shoot more bullets, better. What I mean by that is .75" - 1moa vs .4" - .75" with the Wylde.

I don't know if people are expecting too much, but if they're like me they're probably comparing one barrel to another and unimpressed with the one that costs more and shoots bigger groups.
Thanks for the data point. Is that experience using handload or commercial ammo? I wonder if the accuracy issue is that people are taking rounds at max OAL and putting them in a tighter chamber.

Most people who have experience in assembling and shooting precision AR-15s have other boxes that they would prefer were checked.