• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HELP!! Burr in chamber

tmcelrath

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2011
Virginia Beach
I have a new rifle that was just finished being built, and after firing through the break in process, I have noticed that every last piece of brass has a ding in it in the exact same spot. I figured that If there was a burr, it was so small that it was only denting the brass when fired because it wasnt leaving a scratch on the brass even after being extracted. Well I neck sized a few cases and loaded a couple of rounds and when I chamber a hand loaded round I notice full length scratches on the brass, stopping at the exact spot that the ding is, but how can this be scratching the entire case if the ding is about 1/8" down from the shoulder bout midway up from the annealing line on the factory annealed hornady (pics to follow). Im thinking the scratches are from the magazine, but my question is, what do I do about this burr? is there something I can do my self or do i need to give it back to my smith? the burr isnt big enough to scratch factory ammo, but it dings them upon being fired.

Thank you