• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help choosing ultrasonic cleaner

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I’m looking to buy an ultrasonic cleaner to help clean muzzle brakes, suppressors, and gun parts. Way back I bought the Hornady small ultrasonic cleaner when it came out and was not happy with it. It was too small, timer only went about 10 minutes if I remember and most everything took multiple cycles to clean.

I am borrowing a friends rcbs and it seems to be working really good. It’s big enough, 30 minute timer and heated.

Before I buy, is there other models or brands that perform better? Or equal for less money? I don’t really care if it’s a “gun brand” cleaner just want one that works well and is reliable. Needs to be big enough to put AR lower or upper in ( just the reciever) and 9” suppressors. Will not be using this for brass if that matters.

Budget around $300 not firm

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith E.
I bought one off of amazon after doing some research. I was looking for a 6-10L size, that seemed perfect for what I was wanting to do with small gun parts. I ended finding a killer deal for a 22L one that was only 150. It was a new seller needing good feedback. It works great for steel or really anything that is not aluminum. The only thing I dislike is that when it is full its heavy and hard to move and also it takes a lot of chemical when I drain it and add fresh chemical. But at the same time I can put just about anything in it. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
I have had a 3L ($75) from Amazon for two years now. I keep it filled with water and use glass (not plastic) containers for the parts and solvents. I use Lucas Extreme Duty Bore Solvent & Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner a lot and it does a good job with my rimfire can, but probably not a good as a tumbler with SS pins. It does a great job on my pistols, especially my dirty rimfires.

This dude is a witch doctor with small engines, so I pay attention when he talks about US cleaners. He even updates as he learns new things:
Steve's Small Engine Repair

Reactions: Andrew863
I have had a 3L ($75) from Amazon for two years now. I keep it filled with water and use glass (not plastic) containers for the parts and solvents. I use Lucas Extreme Duty Bore Solvent & Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner a lot and it does a good job with my rimfire can, but probably not a good as a tumbler with SS pins. It does a great job on my pistols, especially my dirty rimfires.

This dude is a witch doctor with small engines, so I pay attention when he talks about US cleaners. He even updates as he learns new things:
Not to hi Jack the thread but that is also something for the OP to consider. If u get one bigger then u need like I did fill it with water and use small glass containers with the solvent down in the water to save on solvent. Thanks for the idea.

I nerded out heavily into these waters a while back, and after reading far too much crap about US cleaners, wattage, volume, etc. I ended up with this one:

It's perfect for cleaning muzzle brakes and most other stuff you'd want a US cleaner for. More horsepower on tap per volume than the usual ones in the price range (3 transducers at 180W over 4.5L, usually it's 180W for 6L which isn't as strong/focused).

Most of the gun-parts-manufacturer branded ones are just rebranded with the price doubled or tripled.

Last edited:
So looking on Amazon there are a few brands that appear close to the same. Anbull , Vevor, and DK sonic. Any advice on these or others I should look into? Or ones to stay away from?

Just remember you're dealing with audio power and transducers when talking wattage. So, more or less, you want the most watts paired to the least amount of water that'll submerge the items you want to clean.

V8 + Miata > V8 + dump truck

Reactions: MarshallDodge

Same/same.
Works well for the price point.
The glass beaker with parts/solution in it is 100% key.

I bought the Vevor on Slamazon when the scamdemic started. Use it mostly for case prep cleaning. No issues to speak of. SOB knows how to get hot when you ask it to.

I've been using the old Hornady Magnum 3L stainless sonic clean for over 10 years now. Been a great unit. Has the heating element in it, as well, once you learn your equipment and how much cleaning solution to use, etc... Works awesome for cleaning my Obsidian 45 and Mask HD (17-4 stainless) baffles, too.

They don't make the same one anymore, but you might can still find one a shelf somewhere.

I bought one of the cheap ones you see on ebay. I just made sure the time and temp and watts was high enough. It's worked great so far but I don't use a ton. I clean brass with it and I cleaned a suppressor with it and it does great at both. Took a few 45 min cycles for the suppressor. It's 100W I think and I wish the tank was slightly deeper by an inch but works well.

I bought one of the cheap ones you see on ebay. I just made sure the time and temp and watts was high enough. It's worked great so far but I don't use a ton. I clean brass with it and I cleaned a suppressor with it and it does great at both. Took a few 45 min cycles for the suppressor. It's 100W I think and I wish the tank was slightly deeper by an inch but works well.
Yeah, getting all that heavy leading off my Mask HD 22 baffles takes max heat, and a full 90 minute cycle, flipping the baffles at the halfway point.

My sonic cleaner has LONG gotten it's money's worth of use from me. I use it at least every other week for a full cycle, sometimes 2, depends on how much I've shot on the weekends, or how much of that free range gold I managed to scrounge up while the RO isn't looking. They recycle the range brass by weight, because they load their own ammo and sell it, but they send all the range scrap to a company that melts it down and reforms it, or separates it, processes, and preps it for them.

Occasionally, I can dig through the 5 gallon range buckets and collect whatever I need/want. I typically only grab things useful to me, and leave the rest... Stuff like .308 .300 BLK, LC 5.56, 6.5CM (don't have one, but can be used for other things), anything magnum, PRC, or hard to find things. The only time you'll catch me snatching up pistol brass, is if I see a bunch of .357 Mag, .44 Mag, or .357 Sig sitting in there. Which is SUPER rare these days...Not many folks taking theirs to the range (ammo prices).

Like has already been mentioned, size does matter. For me sorting through the various tank dimensions was interesting. If you search for a certain size, 15L or 4 gallon for my example, you end up with several different configurations. I finally ran across this one that I think best will serve my needs:

15L.jpg

One of the things you'll notice is tank dimensions are different from basket dimensions. Make sure you can get what you want cleaned inside your cleaner. My plan is to use containers with cleaner and parts inside the tank filled with water. Because of this I opted to error on the larger than needed size instead of ending up not being able to get the items inside the tank.

Another thing I noticed while shopping is larger tanks means more power and more transducers. This example has 6 or 6 X 60 for 360W. I also opted for one with a heating option to help with stubborn items.

Another thing to think about is the material used in the construction. Most will assume that the tank is stainless steel, and most probably are but a lot of units don't specify which type of stainless or the thickness. Just something to think about.

I have the Harbor Freight model which looks like the Lyman that they charge 2X for. I bought it about 10 years ago. The heater quit about 2 years ago so I warm the liquid before pouring it in. It has been used for thousands of cycles and I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer one.

Not to hi Jack the thread but that is also something for the OP to consider. If u get one bigger then u need like I did fill it with water and use small glass containers with the solvent down in the water to save on solvent. Thanks for the idea.
Zip lock bags work also. Fill the ultrasonic with whatever you prefer, clean water works, and then put your parts in the zip lock bag along with a good amount of cleaning liquid. Zip it up and get as much air out as possible, then drop it in the ultrasonic bath.