• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help!! Cooking rabbit… post your recipes!

eca7891

Keeper of useless knowledge
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2019
So I tried smoking my first raised rabbit. It was about 9-12 weeks old.

225 for 2.5 hrs.

It came out ok on the front quarters, I went another hr on the hind quarters as the temperature didn’t hit 160. They came out mushy. Not a wet mushy, just mushy. They were not dry in any way either.

I went about another hour on the back mid section but raised the temperature to 300 thinking it might need to dry out a bit but had the same results as the hind quarters or slightly worse. I think it might have “steamed” cooked the thicker parts?

I thought I would go I higher temperature and shorter cooking time on my next try. Something like 325 until I hit 160.
Thoughts on this?

Detailed cooking advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I tried frying some but was disappointed with its outcome.

I should say that I never fry anything other than the occasional egg or potatoes.

Reactions: MtnGhost
For me rabbit meat in chili or stew is the only way to go.

Also, I was thinking something else from the name of this thread. Like the time I accidentally shot a squirrel with a 12 gauge slug. :oops:
Well it was a clean and ethical kill.

• Haha
Reactions: Im2bent
I changed the title in order to open up and clarify the topic.

😂

The biggest problem with cooking rabbit is that compared to all other domestic meat it is virtually devoid of fat. You can’t cook it like a pork shoulder or brisket. Best results I have had is with braising. Brown it off and simmer it with some liquid. This recipe looks similiar to some I have tried in the past that turned out ok.

Another option that I remember my mom making for us as kids is to braise the rabbit carcass in liquid then remove the meat and grind it. Then you can add some moistness and fat in by using mayonaise/miracle whip with whatever else you deem to make a good tasting salad for sandwiches or dips. You could look for ham salad or chicken salad recipes and adapt them to your taste.

rabbit sauce piquante is where it at. Roux base with onions, Bell pepper and celery. Tomato sauce. Add seasoning, rabbit and cook down. When just about finished, add mushrooms. Serve over white rice with a side of garlic bread. Adding some sausage to this is great as well.
Ayee!

You might look up Hasenpfeffer recipes, a traditional German rabbit dish.

This lady has a recipe book of 25 rabbit recipes. I purchased off of her site and they are simple and delicious. Been raising and harvesting New Zealands for years now. One big thing is to brine the rabbit because it will dry out because of the lack of fat.
Hope this helps

Reactions: MJF and SWgeezer
Rabbit pot pie.
A few locals wouldn't have it any other way.
Traded us pheasants heads up for rabbits.
Sorry, don't have the recipe.

R

Ok, first you need to kill your rabbits when the moon is in its waining phase, refrigerate it until the full moon comes around. Next you will split it in half, you can cut the ribs down one side of the spine for this. Now its time to make a brine, 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of salt per gallon of water and soak your rabbit for three days. Next you need to get a frying pan screaming hot with some bacon grease or cooking oil. Fry all side until fully brown. Last you will need to cut some onions, pototates, apples, carrots, and put them in a roasting pan with 1 can broth. Now season with rosemary, salt, pepper, and a little sage. Roast it in the oven at 350 for 1 hour for every 10 pounds. When it is finished allow to cool for a half hour, that way it doesn't melt the trash bag when you throw it away, and get some beef. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

225 for 2.5 hrs.

It came out ok on the front quarters, I went another hr on the hind quarters as the temperature didn’t hit 160. They came out mushy. Not a wet mushy, just mushy. They were not dry in any way either.

I went about another hour on the back mid section but raised the temperature to 300 thinking it might need to dry out a bit but had the same results as the hind quarters or slightly worse. I think it might have “steamed” cooked the thicker parts?

I thought I would go I higher temperature and shorter cooking time on my next try. Something like 325 until I hit 160.
Thoughts on this?

I have always pressure cooked rabbit and tree rats, then seasoned floor dredge and pan fry tell golden brown, take out put in oven and make gravy with stickies on bottom of cast iron pan, Never disappointed,

Best to all in the Holiday season and See what the new years brings, To early for HAPPY NEW YEAR

Reactions: SWgeezer
Doubled breaded and fried in my magic seasoning and then Dutch oven for about an hour or so with a little bit of water in the bottom.

So damn delicious.

Doc

I've taken back straps and fried them in butter, comes out decent. Not sure why the rear quarters came out mushy, pretty weird, but I only eat wild rabbit/hare. But that includes jackrabbit.

Take the rabbit slowly pet it, make it feel very comfortable 😊

Than take that fucker and throw it over your left shoulder.

And go get yourself a nice 40 ounce tomahawk ribeye.
FIFY.

Filet is a girly steak. Or for the French.

Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

PS. But still better than rabbit. Nasty stringy rodents...

FIFY.

Filet is a girly steak. Or for the French.

Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

PS. But still better than rabbit. Nasty stringy rodents...
I'll eat both, but kinda prefer the tomahawk, reverse sear to medium rare.

Attachments

• 20221201_192945.jpg
    20221201_192945.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 20
Sauted on medium heat in a cast iron skillet, with some lard. Salt well and pepper.

Rabbit is very lean, must add fat. Bacon is another good choice.

You can also marinade in buttermilk and lightly flour before it hits the skillet. Again use lard or at least vegetable shortening, or bacon...

Last edited:
Girly Steak 😂😂 My 20 oz butterflied filet steak will knock your fucking socks off and her panties too 😂
It's only the best cut off said Cow,Elk,Deer,Hog Ect Ect Ect .
Why because its the tenderloin, you can take the tomahawk steak bone and shove it where the sun don't shine when your done...Tomahawk steak is an over priced large ribeye with a giant rib bone attached that's it.. "Just Sayin"

Don't get me wrong I love a great ribeye had one just last night. but to pay extra for the bone is just plan Fucking stupid...
To each his own..
OK... send me one.

I will judge fair!

Just 'sayin!

Sirhr

PM me for an address. I'll trade you ounce for ounce with the best bacon in the world. Really! Let's do this!

Reactions: Dead
Medium rare?

Heathen.

What I don't eat I want to ride home. Pittsburgh rare is... close to being over done.

But at least it's not rabbit!

Sirhr
It was actually close to overdone after a rest, but it was still medium rare. Not sure what Pittsburgh rare is, but I like my steaks on the rare side of medium rare, but not so rare that it is raw.

Rabbit pot pie.
A few locals wouldn't have it any other way.
Traded us pheasants heads up for rabbits.
Sorry, don't have the recipe.

R
A good friend of mine does the pot pie thing, very good. My grandmother would make Rabbit Cacciatore (wild rabbit), find a good crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe and go for it.

Mike

225 for 2.5 hrs.

Thoughts on this?

You killed the Easter bunny ! Asshole!😂

• Haha
Reactions: Dead and Jscb1b
Cook it in pressure cooker till tender. Batter with flower and fry till golden brown. Then put it in skillet with gravy and let simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with rice and some damn good homemade biscuits. Thank me later

When i was a kid my great uncle lived down the street and cooked rabbit (and squirrel) all the time.

He would cook bacon first and render all the fat out. Then fry squirrel and rabbit in the bacon grease.

I don't cook it all that often but do miss rabbit, squirrel not so much lol.

Reactions: Snipe260
I like this thread. I have about 20 rabbits in my pen right now and am looking forward to trying this this spring.

Especially the Chinese version shown above. It looks very good.

Soak in buttermilk for a couple hours, roll it around in seasoned flour and fry in clear bacon grease or crisco in a cast iron skillet. Serve with sliced potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic and baked.
Never had raised rabbit only wild rabbits. So it could be the feed you are using. You may have to treat them like other domestic meat and let them cure for a few days before cooking. Like a processor does with a cow. It needs to hang in a cooler for ten days to age.

What a coincidence, just watched Jacque pepin do a rabbit stew that looked delicious. Maybe on YouTube somewhere, his heart and soul series. Starts with lardo, so you know it’s good

Reactions: OldSalty2
I make this recipe all the time, my kids love it. Substitute rabbit for chicken. line the bottom with the onions, lay the rabbit on the onions, mix all other ingredients in a bowl, pour on top. Quick and easy. For a different taste I don't add tomato sauce, I substitute a can of seasoned diced tomatoes.

Mike

Ingredients​

• 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained, or 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup white wine or water
  • Hot cooked pasta
  • Optional: shredded Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley

Directions​

• 1. Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the chicken, seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms and wine.
  • 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken with sauce over pasta. If desired, top with Parmesan and parsley.

We've been raising rabbits for a few years now. Eat it every week and the kids love it. If any of you need advice on raising them, let me know.
Here are a few recipes we like:

Replace chicken with rabbit.

Here's one I want to try.

Reactions: BCP