• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help decide on caliber for GAP-10

SeaBassHWD

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm about to order a GAP-10 but can't decide on caliber. I'll be using this rifle mainly for 400-1000 yd matches. I'm 50/50 between the 6.5mm creed and 260. I'm already setup for reloading so ammo won't be a problem. Any other calibers I should consider? If not, which would you choose? 6mm creed or 260?

.260 for lower components cost, higher mv, barrel life is about equal I think, you're a home roller, .260 ftw. Although, look at 6.5 slr, 6.5 BR, 6.5xc, and probably others I don't know.

I'd go 6mm Creedmoor if I were you. The recoil impulse is virtually non-existent, and if you run the numbers with a 105 Berger hybrid at around 3100 you'll be impressed. The downside is that the brass is single source and you have a greater probability of losing it from a gasser in match, but the performance is impressive.

My dream rifle would be a gap 10 in 260 with a 20inch bull barrel if it is possile. Now that would be bad ass shit IMO

I'm gettin ready to order one myself. I think I'm going .260 with a 22" barrel

I went with the 6mm Creedmoor. I read where George was recommending that caliber in a semi-auto due to cartridge length. I am getting right at 3000 fps with the Hornady 105 bullets. I had also read where George had said not to run the 105s faster than that. So far is seems like a good caliber/rifle combination.

I went with the .308 for several reasons with the 20inch barrel. First ammo and component availability, especially if things continue to decline in the firearms world. Plenty of .308 surplus around. Second it has no problem reaching out to 1,000 yards in this weapon with a good scope. I also like the fact that it shoots 175 grain bullet. I know all the 6mm's do better in wind and drop at distance, but at least ya can see the splash of the heavier bullet.

At times I wish I would have tried the 6.5 Creedmore with a 24" barrel, at least it shoots a 140 grain Amax. Just to do something different. I didn't have a .308 at the time and I think everyone should have at least one .308

Just my thoughts, I'm probably a little behind the times. Since 6mm's are the flavor of the decade.

The creed case lends itself to the magazine limitations of the autoloader much better than 260.

If you want a 6.5mm, the 6.5cm is a no brainer, though if you wanted to get into wildcatting, the SLR would be great also.

There is an article written a couple of years ago that compared the 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5x47. The conclusion was that ballistically, there isn't enough difference between them to make that (ballistics) the basis for choice. The recommendation was that if you didn't already own a rifle in one of those rounds, you should base your selection on the round that is cheapest, easiest to get components for.

I think that comes out as the 260 because of the wide availability of brass. Not only can you use Lapua, and Remington, but sizing Winchester 7mm-08 cases down is a snap. Plus you can easily turn 308 brass into 260 cases.

Last edited:
that is a good point! mag limitations of the 260 round... I think it would be a real toss up between the 6creed and the 260, but this is a really good point.

The creed case lends itself to the magazine limitations of the autoloader much better than 260.

If you want a 6.5mm, the 6.5cm is a no brainer, though if you wanted to get into wildcatting, the SLR would be great also.

If you want a 6.5 choose the creedmoor. You will be able to seat the bullets out a little longer compared to the 260. I have the gap10 in 6.5cm and love it.

I'm thinking about ordering one as well and kind of broke it down to this... If I was okay spending the money for Lapua brass then I would just get the .260 and load it all my self. But if I wanted to (and it was available at the time) shoot factory ammo to get things rolling and then load the Hornady brass after then I'd get the 6.5 CM. But after thinking about mag length, I'm not sure if the .260 would handicap you in any way on the bullet choices due to the jump that may be required. I'd assume Berger Hybrids would so well in the .260 at mag length. Did any one experience any issues with bullet choice to run a mag length in the .260 guns?

And now the 6mm CM looks interesting... I assume you can neck down any 6.5 CM brass and just shoot it?

Thanks for all the replys. After reading everything, I'm still 50/50. LOL

My dream rifle would be a GAP or JP in 6.5CM. However, with out current times, if you don't have, can't get loaded ammo or source componets for reloading, you might want to consider another caliber. While the .308 may not be held high when compared, it will make it out there pretty far and depending on dope/conditions, you can score hits. I've been finding plenty of .308 ammo since the SHTF, not as cheap as I was getting it but I'm getting it and that allows me to keep shooting.

Of course we never know what manufacturers will do, but if there is a need for bullets with the ogive further forward (for seating .264 bullets in a magazine), there is the possibility that someone would try to solve the ogive further forward/poor ballistic coefficient issue and come up with a decent bullet for seating at mag length.

Thanks for all the replys. After reading everything, I'm still 50/50. LOL

Its truly a flip of the coin kind of proposition. I too have debated this same thing. The 260 and the 6.5cm are both a wonderful cartridge. Either will perform very well.

I personally like the idea of Lapua brass for the 260 but then again, with the 6.5CM gaining such popularity, its a possibilty that Lapua will begin making 6.5CM brass someday.

THen you get into overall length for magazine length. The 6.5 will give you a little more length but then again, is it that big of a deal?

Next comes reloading. If you are not a big reloader, then by all means get the 6.5. For me, I never buy loaded ammo. I reload for everything, so its not even something I think about when it comes to selecting a caliber.

Best of luck OP, but either way, you will be happy. Let us know what you decide and post pics with targets when you get your GAP.

As others have said the 260 has more brass options than the 6.5 CM but due to mag length limitations the 6.5 is the best choice for an auto between those 2. A little more room with the 6 CM but it's tough to beat BC's of a 6.5 bullet. I would think longer barrel life with the 6.5.

I also can't see having a 308 over a 6.5CM except for surplus ammo, but shooting for match accuracy you are pretty much either loading and/or buying match ammo. You can get FGMM around here in stock again for about $28/box, but Hornady match 6.5 is coming back with greater availability in 120 and 140 Amax for the same price.

Luckily I have a 6.5 CM and a 308 :)

6.5 creedmoor you will have to seat the big bullets to deep in the 260 to gain much advantage from the larger case. As I recall 6.5 creed was designed to feed reliably in ar-10s.

I have an ar-10 in 6.5 creedmoor and love it. Great fun shooter light recoil and decently accurate.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

you can chase the throat longer with the creedmoor than the 260 and stay within mag length, if you want a 6.5, 260 goes in a bolt and 6.5 creedmoor goes in the gasser

Stupid question.... Which of these calibers shot out of a factory MagPul LR 20rd mags?

Does anyone know the wait time on orders from G.A. Precision for their GAP-10s?

I've got a 6mm Creedmoor and feel it's the perfect caliber for this platform.

I own a 260 bolt gun and love the ballistics. That is comparing apples to oranges though. I also run a 308 gas gun and have good luck out of it. A buddy of mine is running a GAP 6 Creed and I have to say that that will be my next build. They are flat, have a good barrel life, and recoil is non-existent to stay on target. Definitely a cartridge to consider since you already reload. It seems that brass and dies can be found fairly easy from GAP and McCourt Munitions.

You'll love the GAP 10....I ordered one and had to have another. .260, 6.5 CM, or .308 are all good options.

I had the same debate with myself a few months ago. Ended up with a 6.5 CM on order with GAP. :)

Made up my mind. I'm going 6.5CM. Looks like I'm also going with JP since I spoke to them and lead time is 12-16 weeks. I can't get a hold of GAP for the life of me.

Youre going to be really happy with that set up i think.... Really cant go wrong with either. Looking forward to the pics of the rifle down the road.

Made up my mind. I'm going 6.5CM. Looks like I'm also going with JP since I spoke to them and lead time is 12-16 weeks. I can't get a hold of GAP for the life of me.

Well, JP delivered on time :) :). I'm going to sight it in this Sat. More pics to come when there's good lighting.

2q03ewj.jpg

Tested her out this weekend at 100 yards and got 1MOA out of factory Hornady 140gr Ajax and 0.60 - 0.85 with loads I worked up using 140gr SMK. I could have done better but it was raining and I wanted to get out of there ASAP. Couldn't even chrono the loads since the rain gave my ProChrono error readings.
5afkmv.jpg

bjhi02.jpg

swcqvn.jpg

Ballistically, there is no significant difference between the 6.5x47, the 260 Rem, and the 6.5 Creed. I would get the 260 based on how much easier it is to get components for. Brass for the 260 can be obtained from any of the following methods:

Lapua brass in 260 Rem
260 Rem brass from Rem
Size down 308 brass
size up 243 Win brass
Size down 7mm-08 cases (Winchester cases for 7mm-08 are easy to find, and cheap...about $35-40 for 50)

6.5 Creed brass can be had from Hornady...I'm not sure if there are any other manufacturers of brass.

If you have another rifle in either of those three cartridges, that is the one I would use for the GA rifle. Otherwise, I would go with the 260 Rem, based on how easy it is to get components for.