• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help figuring out plate carrier issue...

Underaverage

Maximum Effort
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2020
Winchester, VA
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone knew of any existing solutions that are out there to help me rectify this (small) issue that I have with my plate carrier setup.
I run a Ferro Concepts Slickster plate carrier (highly recommend btw if you like a lower-profile and lightweight carrier). with a Haley Strategic D3CRX chest rig SwiftClipped and Velcroed onto the front of the plate carrier. My problem (really more like a minor annoyance) that I run into is that the buckles that hang off the sides of the Haley chest rig don't have anything to hook to. As seen in the pictures, they just kind of hang off the side and don't really have a function.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way that I could occupy those clips. I'm fully aware that I could just duct tape them or zip tie them (hence why I posted this in DIY) but I am looking for a more precise solution. I recently saw a post on the Haley Strategic Facebook story where they had a picture of a Haley chest rig integrated onto the front of a plate carrier, and those side buckles in the picture were clipped into their male counterparts that had straps that ran around to the back of the carrier.

I'm just wondering if you all know of any solutions that exist out there that are similar to the one mentioned above (actually made by a manufacturer for this intended purpose.

If I don't have any luck on here I may reach out to Haley Strategic directly to see if they can help me solve my problem.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 1,975
  • IMG_2250.JPG
    IMG_2250.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 397
If you’re happy with the setup and don’t see any additional need to secure the D3 rig further than using the velcro retention, just cut those extra buckles off. Doesn’t seem necessary to me on that carrier. The full backside of velcro should provide enough retention.

Reactions: Underaverage
If you want to keep the ability to reattach the buckles, you can just cut a little slot in them like a split bar buckle. I did it on an eberlestock pack and it worked great.

itw-gtsr-split-bar-repair-buckle-coyote-brown.jpg

Is your gear secure and GTG as is minus the buckles? As in you have no need for the buckles?

If so, get your scissors out and snip those suckers off. Gear isn’t made to look pretty.

Instead of cutting those off or cutting a small piece out of the quick releases, why dont you just use 550 cord of something of that effect and ties both horizontal ends together to pull the clips back behind where your mag pouches velcro on to your carrier. That will keep everything in tact and no mods needed. Then if you ever need them there still there.

I considered cutting the straps/buckles off but I definitely don't want to do that. On range days where I'm not doing hard training in full battle rattle, I actually take the Haley chest rig off of the carrier and just run the chest rig using the X-straps that came with the chest rig. If I cut the straps off of the chest rig then I wouldn't be able to do that anymore. The 550 cord suggestion is a good one. Its one I've thought about but haven't actually sat down and experimented with yet. Was hoping to find a "buy/clip it on/forget" solution instead lol.

As far as the chest rig being secure to the plate carrier goes the velcro does great and I don't have any issues there. The reason I want to occupy the clips is because it gets on my nerves when I'm moving around and shooting and they are just flapping in the breeze on the sides.

I like the idea of the chest rig/armor interface kit, but like you mentioned above, I don't have any MOLLE on that particular cummerbund. I think that Ferro Concepts offers a MOLLE version of the cummerbund. Maybe that is my solution to the problem... Anyhow thanks for the feedback everyone. It was helpful!

Another option, though time consuming to keep doing/undoing is to run the chest rig's straps through the Slickster's shoulder straps. You'd be putting the carrier on first then be "putting on" the chest rig. I'll see if can find a pic to post,send. I used to do that with my Haley rig and LV-MBAV.

Another option, though time consuming to keep doing/undoing is to run the chest rig's straps through the Slickster's shoulder straps. You'd be putting the carrier on first then be "putting on" the chest rig. I'll see if can find a pic to post,send. I used to do that with my Haley rig and LV-MBAV.
Yeah if you could send over a picture I would appreciate it. I'm not opposed to running the chest rig through the plate carrier.

Check the buckles under the nylon. Are they are bar slot or solid?

If a bar slot, make the nylon wet and work them off. If solid (which is dumb) you'd need to leave them on unless you never wanted to use the panel as a chest rig.

Check the buckles under the nylon. Are they are bar slot or solid?

If a bar slot, make the nylon wet and work them off. If solid (which is dumb) you'd need to leave them on unless you never wanted to use the panel as a chest rig.
Yeah unfortunately the buckles are solid, so I can't remove them. You would think that dad would have thought of that when he designed it :LOL: I have considered breaking the existing buckles off and replacing them with bar slotted ones, but it's hard for me to willingly do that to a $185 chest rig...

Yeah unfortunately the buckles are solid, so I can't remove them. You would think that dad would have thought of that when he designed it :LOL: I have considered breaking the existing buckles off and replacing them with bar slotted ones, but it's hard for me to willingly do that to a $185 chest rig...

Thats the other option. Don't cut the nylon but get the buckles off by cutting them.

Then replace them with bar slot ones when needed. The buckles are like $1 a piece.

I think the Haley rig is poorly designed anyways. Not having this option with buckles is dumb as well.

Thats the other option. Don't cut the nylon but get the buckles off by cutting them.

Then replace them with bar slot ones when needed. The buckles are like $1 a piece.

I think the Haley rig is poorly designed anyways. Not having this option with buckles is dumb as well.
Its hard to beat the kydex MP2 mag inserts. Mag retention with those things is phenomenal and there's no need for the shock cord tabs. I HATE the shock cord tabs. They get in the way of EVERYTHING lol.

The more I think about it the more I'm considering just making the Haley rig a dedicated chest rig and just going with an entirely different approach for the plate carrier... Even with fixing the floppy buckle issue, the Haley rig still hangs off the sides of the plate carrier since its a Ferro Concepts Slickster. Lmao I swear I can't make up my mind to save my life. Maybe look at spiritus stuff. I have a buddy that works for Velocity as well who could probably hook me up.

Want me to do it? Don't think of it as a $185 chest rig, you're cutting off about $3 worth of buckles to make the equipment work for you.

If I decide to go that route I might just take you up on that offer :ROFLMAO: It would hurt my soul for a little while if I did it myself.

Yeah if you could send over a picture I would appreciate it. I'm not opposed to running the chest rig through the plate carrier.

Overall:
IMG_20200417_143950.jpg

Close up of the chest rig straps going through the carrier's shoulders:
IMG_20200417_144000.jpg

Close up of the front when word:
IMG_20200417_144925.jpg

Close-up of the side:
IMG_20200417_145002.jpg

From the back:
IMG_20200417_145041.jpg

I did run the chest rig with the Mayflower/VelSys Swiftclips but have since moved those to my JPC.

What’s your fave set up? I see you don’t like the HSP so I’m curious what you are running.

What’s your fave set up? I see you don’t like the HSP so I’m curious what you are running.

I have 2.

A bit heavier for longer dismounted patrols; I use the Velocity Systems SCARAB with the Velocity zip on small ruck. Have upgraded the cummerbund attachment to their SCARAB special side release so I dont have to unvelcro the front flap to doff/don. It also removes a bit of the depth bulk. I have lvl4 standalone lightweight SAPIs in this. Zip ruck is big enough to carry 2x 3L bladders if needed (usually only have 1) and can carry a helmet and NV gear incase your out during the day but may be out to where you will be in the dark. If I'm vehicle based, I can simply unzip the ruck for a slick back where the only thing there is my antenna and antenna extension cable both routed through the molle.

For running vehicles or just an overall lighter setup I use the Crye SPC also with their zip on small pack. I was messing around with lvl3+ plates with this and really prefer this setup as the carrier itself weighs nothing and the plates are 4.5lbs a piece instead of 7.4lbs for lvl4. Same layout except the zip on ruck is a bit smaller depth wise and has a hard time stowing a helmet. However, you can fit 2x 3L hydro in there as well as any other mission specific gear or nightvision you may need later. I've also been using this as a carrier for a small thermal drone and have a Crye maritime admin pouch that flips out and holds your phone (connected to the drone) so I can send the drone up to recon and keep track of it while moving/doing whatever.

I don't like the Haley or most 'pre made' panels due to 2 reasons. First, they normally introduce except bulk/depth you dont need because you're stacking material ontop of more material. I understand the modularity of it, but there are slick panels that work with either of these carriers that do what the Haley does and are much thinner. Secondly, the Haley pouch layout isn't adjustable. The pouches are where they are, regardless of where you want them or what you want/need to use. My setups across carriers and rigs have a noticable 'theme' to them; even if there is something different on each for whatever reason, things like my radio, IFAK and speed reloads are in exactly the same spot. Why get stuck training/remembering differences because you're wearing your chest rig instead of your carrier, or wearing something with a different layout?

I have 2.

A bit heavier for longer dismounted patrols; I use the Velocity Systems SCARAB with the Velocity zip on small ruck. Have upgraded the cummerbund attachment to their SCARAB special side release so I dont have to unvelcro the front flap to doff/don. It also removes a bit of the depth bulk. I have lvl4 standalone lightweight SAPIs in this. Zip ruck is big enough to carry 2x 3L bladders if needed (usually only have 1) and can carry a helmet and NV gear incase your out during the day but may be out to where you will be in the dark. If I'm vehicle based, I can simply unzip the ruck for a slick back where the only thing there is my antenna and antenna extension cable both routed through the molle.

For running vehicles or just an overall lighter setup I use the Crye SPC also with their zip on small pack. I was messing around with lvl3+ plates with this and really prefer this setup as the carrier itself weighs nothing and the plates are 4.5lbs a piece instead of 7.4lbs for lvl4. Same layout except the zip on ruck is a bit smaller depth wise and has a hard time stowing a helmet. However, you can fit 2x 3L hydro in there as well as any other mission specific gear or nightvision you may need later. I've also been using this as a carrier for a small thermal drone and have a Crye maritime admin pouch that flips out and holds your phone (connected to the drone) so I can send the drone up to recon and keep track of it while moving/doing whatever.

I don't like the Haley or most 'pre made' panels due to 2 reasons. First, they normally introduce except bulk/depth you dont need because you're stacking material ontop of more material. I understand the modularity of it, but there are slick panels that work with either of these carriers that do what the Haley does and are much thinner. Secondly, the Haley pouch layout isn't adjustable. The pouches are where they are, regardless of where you want them or what you want/need to use. My setups across carriers and rigs have a noticable 'theme' to them; even if there is something different on each for whatever reason, things like my radio, IFAK and speed reloads are in exactly the same spot. Why get stuck training/remembering differences because you're wearing your chest rig instead of your carrier, or wearing something with a different layout?

I agree with you. I’ve had a Crye for quite some time but am looking at trying something else. What’s your thoughts on the DFNDR QRC with GCode Soft shell Tacos out front. I prefer more of the minimalist approach here and am thinking of trying something like this out.

I agree with you. I’ve had a Crye for quite some time but am looking at trying something else. What’s your thoughts on the DFNDR QRC with GCode Soft shell Tacos out front. I prefer more of the minimalist approach here and am thinking of trying something like this out.

Am I missing something or do they really want $355 for just the carrier? I have zero experience with those and until you mentioned it, I had never heard of them so can't say much about it other than I'd go for a JPC 2.0, SPC or SCARAB before I'd try that out for the price tag. Its USA made, but looks like a no frills carrier, so unless it offers something specific you need/want, I just dont see it.

Personally I've never liked Taco pouches of any flavor. The cord is also somewhere and can get caught on things/hangs down. I'm also always concerned with the retention; too much, too little. I mainly use the lower profile (2 rows of molle height) ATS slimline triples with the bungees and/or the BFG 10 speeds as speed reloads. Only downside with the 10 speeds are they are obviously not jumpable (if that matters) and they will eventually wear out and loosen.

Am I missing something or do they really want $355 for just the carrier? I have zero experience with those and until you mentioned it, I had never heard of them so can't say much about it other than I'd go for a JPC 2.0, SPC or SCARAB before I'd try that out for the price tag. Its USA made, but looks like a no frills carrier, so unless it offers something specific you need/want, I just dont see it.

Personally I've never liked Taco pouches of any flavor. The cord is also somewhere and can get caught on things/hangs down. I'm also always concerned with the retention; too much, too little. I mainly use the lower profile (2 rows of molle height) ATS slimline triples with the bungees and/or the BFG 10 speeds as speed reloads. Only downside with the 10 speeds are they are obviously not jumpable (if that matters) and they will eventually wear out and loosen.

Other than the QR and padding over the shoulders it’s pretty no frills, as best I can tell. LE buddy turned me onto them. Not cheap tho as you mentioned. Eh, maybe I just stick with the JPC 1.0.

I have 2.

How do you stow your nods in the pack? Do you just put them inside the helmet and then have the outer shell of the helmet facing outboard so the nods don’t come out? What about storage options while wearing the helmet?

To the OP: I get the whole versatility thing with wanting to use it as a chest rig, but why not just take the plates out when you wanna train lighter? The slickster is low profile enough that it’s not awkward to wear without plates. Then just get rid of the buckles.

I have 2.

Agree on all. I got lucky with the HSP layout. Yeah, it’s not modular but it works for me. It depends on what I’m doing if I even use my LV-MBAV anymore. If it’s R&S I’m just rocking the chest rig and attaching some wing radio pouches to the back to maintain the muscle memory. Sometimes I’ll throw on my LV-MBAV if it’s required. DA I’m rocking the HSP rig over my JPC 2.0. VBSS is the only time I drop the chest rig and throw a Crye front flap with 3xBFG ten Speed pouches on.

How do you stow your nods in the pack? Do you just put them inside the helmet and then have the outer shell of the helmet facing outboard so the nods don’t come out? What about storage options while wearing the helmet?

To the OP: I get the whole versatility thing with wanting to use it as a chest rig, but why not just take the plates out when you wanna train lighter? The slickster is low profile enough that it’s not awkward to wear without plates. Then just get rid of the buckles.

If the helmet is there, I take the mount off the helmet and slide in into a padded insert that I then put inside the helmet as best I can. Or, there are purpose made hard plastic stowage kits for PVS14 and ANVIS out there, just make sure you get the smallest one you can.

Reactions: aslrookie