• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help! GAP Bolt sticking

jhendri2

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
Altus, OK
OK, so I just traded for a like new GAP 338 Lapua (60 rounds thru barrel). The rifle is on a Remington M/LR action with a 28" Krieger barrel and Badger FTE brake. So I took it shooting for the first time this morning with 2 box's of factory ammunition. 1 box of Hornady 285 gr match and 1 box of Black Hills 300 gr matchking.

The ammunition chambers easily but when fired the bolt will lift but not pull back. The primers are cratered. I'm thinking it's either not throated for these longer ogive bullets or the neck is too tight.

Please help.

Jim

Re: Help! GAP Bolt sticking

were you able to eject the brass at all from the morning shoot?

First, I wouldn't shoot anymore of that ammo until you diagnose the problem. After you eject the fired cases are there any pressure signs?

Second, You need to measure your headspace. A go/no go gauge would be helpful. If the headspace is good(which it most likely is with a GAP rifle with only 60 rounds through it) then go on to #3

Third, if you have access to an overall length gauge(stoney point or clone), pull a bullet and use the pulled bullet to check OAL for both types of ammo against the OAL of the factory ammo.

If all of these check out, then call GAP and see if they can tell you if the rifle was built with a chamber you will need to neck turn for. If so you can either send it in to have the chamber adjusted or you can reload and neck turn.

hope that helps,
madd0c

Well, since I don't have a go/no go gauge or OAL length measure. Guess I'll go to #3 and call GAP.

The only pressure signs were stuck bolt and cratered primers.

Jim

Just got off the phone with Ken at GAP. Rifle needs to back. I tell those GA Precision folks are great to deal with.

Jim

I guess I should post the obligatory "It's likely to be a dangerous issue, and my concern for your personal safety compels me to offer to take the rifle (and any accessories) off your hands for safe disposal. I'll even cover the shipping."

Good luck on getting it worked out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I should post the obligatory "It's likely to be a dangerous issue, and my concern for your personal safety compels me to offer to take the rifle (and any accessories) off your hands for safe disposal. I'll even cover the shipping."

Good luck on getting it worked out! </div></div>

see, thats why i like this site. people here are just so dang helpful

002-7.jpg

001-8.jpg

Maybe this is my issue????

Jim

So my question is you bought from a guy..(on here?) and you got these issues from the start....

I got it from someone yes and have issues from the start, I really don't mind as it will be fixed.

Jim

I dont see anything wrong with your boltface other than in picture #1 it looks like 1/2 the lip of your extractor is broken off, but Im guessing thats just poor lighting. What were you trying to illustrate?

The bolt face looks fine. What about the pictures are you questioning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhendri2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only pressure signs were stuck bolt and cratered primers.
Jim</div></div>

Aren't those enough?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhendri2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got it from someone yes and have issues from the start, I really don't mind as it will be fixed.

Jim</div></div>

So, did the original owner have the issues from the start?

The newer MLR's come with the extractor machined that way. My 2008 MLR has the full width extractor.It tends to extract the cases upward into windage knob resulting an erratic extraction pattern and occasionaly a case with bounce right back into the action. I can only guess that these new half width extractors are Remingtons way getting the cases to extract more sideways than upward.

I thought half the tip of the extractor was broken. Guess not...

Jim