• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP! I have no idea what this is. UPDATE: IT'S REAL!

Toothpaste guns? I'm intrigued. Are you referring to the CIA's .22 Stinger that would conceal in a toothpaste tube? I least I think that was the CIA. I could be mixing up my covert agency's.
It was a SF thing.

But I am sure the CIA had its fingerprints somewhere in the Colgate.

Sirhr

dog bite sf.jpg

I was wondering if it was an m48 that didnt make it to ww2... maybe a small run experiment?

It's alive!...I mean it's real.
1625767602632.png
1625767745414.png

Thanks to SirH who contacted his friend Doug Wicklund at the NRA Firearms Museum. His reply:

The H&R is a commercial piece made for transfer to friendly allies overseas. Not many came back to the U.S.A. I actually got to see them on Okinawa in the 60s being sent to Vietnam.

Doug Wicklund

It's alive!...I mean it's real.
View attachment 7664146 View attachment 7664148

Thanks to SirH who contacted his friend Doug Wicklund at the NRA Firearms Museum. His reply:

The H&R is a commercial piece made for transfer to friendly allies overseas. Not many came back to the U.S.A. I actually got to see them on Okinawa in the 60s being sent to Vietnam.

Doug Wicklund
Any time, brother! You've done me more than a few propers... just glad to return the favor!

Congrats on a really cool piece. And a mystery solved.

Probably not many Montagnards involved... but the gun is exactly what it says. A presentation piece for overseas allies. And one of those rare things with "Special Forces" written on it (that is not sold on late-night TV and involves sunglasses or laser flashlights.)

And you have a damn rare gun in mint condition with box and everything! And now... Provenance.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Interesting what the NRA guy wrote. So not a combat weapon like the 100,000 various models of short-barreled/pump-actions purchased by the DoD in 1962 for the locals, but a single-shot 'good will' or trade item. Well, definitely a neat conversation piece.

Fwiw, here's my only Vietnam era type shotgu, which is a replica. Donor was a 1972 dated WRA M1200 Riot gun (former Law Enforcement shotgun) that I converted into a M1200 trenchgun with a vintage bayonet lug/heat shield, and the correct front handguard. I had the 1960's era bayonet for years, and decided I needed something to hang it on...and it was much more affordable than an original article.
M1200_w_bayonet_1.jpg

Anyhow, glad the mystery was solved. Perhaps someone should contact Bruce Canfield to share the H&R enigma info with him?

Last edited:
Any time, brother! You've done me more than a few propers... just glad to return the favor!

Congrats on a really cool piece. And a mystery solved.

Probably not many Montagnards involved... but the gun is exactly what it says. A presentation piece for overseas allies. And one of those rare things with "Special Forces" written on it (that is not sold on late-night TV and involves sunglasses or laser flashlights.)

And you have a damn rare gun in mint condition with box and everything! And now... Provenance.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Good job, my man!