• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Help in deciding scope and correct ring height

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Ok, it is like this : I have a Mosin Nagant (I know, I know...) that I have sporterized myself with a nice trigger , bent bolt , modified stock , etc . I installed the aluminum pillars and bedded and free floated the barrel . The Barrel has an impressive rifling and looks great. Anyway... I am getting a scope for it . I haven`t shot it yet and even thou I am not expecting miracles , perhaps it would do OK for a Mosin . Now... I am not spending too much money on the scope , so $300.00 is the top . I cut go with a real cheap scope but I don`t think it will survive the recoil , so I am between the SS 10X42 Super Sniper and the Millet TRS-1 (?)... Both cost the same , so which one will be best ? The scope rail will be 1/4" height from the barrel , so if I am calculating correctly and I use 1/4" low rings with the SS 10x42 , I will have 4.7mm of extra free space after mount it ... Please, check the calculations and suggest advice for buying the scope .. Thanks

Re: Help in deciding scope and correct ring height

Gosh , not a single reply ... Is it because it is a Mosin ? I have my Savage 10FCP 5R but this Mosin is a proyect of mine and , frankly , I cut use some advice on scoping it . I know it is not up to the standards of Remingtons and Savages or Gaps , but after all the upgrades that I have made to this thing , I think even myself am going to be surprised when I shoot it ...

Re: Help in deciding scope and correct ring height

If you go to the top of the page their is a sticky about determining ring height.