• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Help installing carbon fiber hand guard

gainer_reniag

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
Virginia Beach
I did a search and came up with no dice. It came from DPMS with a barrel nut and some epoxy. Also torque specs. I really don't want to order a $30 wrench to use for 30 mins. I'm in south ms. Wonder if any local gun shops work on 308s? If I decide to work on it myself do I just get the wrench and un screw the hand guard and screw on the new one? Thanks in advance for any helpful answers!

Re: Help installing carbon fiber hand guard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gainer_reniag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I decide to work on it myself do I just get the wrench and un screw the hand guard and screw on the new one? Thanks in advance for any helpful answers! </div></div>

Yes, it's that simple. You will need to remove the gas block too.

Glue the FF tube to the barrel nut, allow this to cure 24 hours and make sure both parts are degreased. IF you have glue run out over the gas tube holes in the nut on the inside, use a drill bit and finger pressure to scrape them clean and provide 360 degree clearance for the gas tube.
Assemble the tube hand tight, get a quality strap wrench to torque and index the FF tube. If traction and protection are needed, go to hardware store and get a flex fit plumbing coupler, discard the hose clamps, cut it horizontally and use it between the wrench strap and FF tube. Start cranking it on until you get it indexed and tight.

This of course AFTER you disassemble the old handguard, by removing everything but the barrel. You CAN install the barrel nut and THEN glue it, BUT if the glue runs over the gas tube, it can permanently attach it all together and make it damn near impossible to remove, as well as effect accuracy.

Done this to the tune of several thousand, no real mystery.

This is prob. A rookie question but do I have to take the gas tube off if my hand guard clears it? Thanks for the info.

How else are you going to get the new barrel nut on? I feel as though perhaps I have not communicated the process clearly.