• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP! Loading for Henry 45/70

VonReich

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey all,

I'm loading for a Henry 45/70 and I'm running into some issues. I realize this isn't exactly precision rifle, but I'm really running out of places to ask this.

So I loaded up a bunch of Speer HotCor 350gr flat nose rounds to the Speer loading manual COAL. I ended up having to single feed these in my lever rifle because they were too long. I called Henry and asked what the max COAL is for this rifle to cycle, they stated 2.590" but wouldn't tell me how to achieve this because let's face it... it's a liability for them. I estimated my rounds to be equal or slightly less than 2.700" COAL.

In order to get these Speer 350's to seat deep enough for the crimp, I'd have to trim the brass from the standard 2.105" to 1.990". I was concerned about this option, so I looked at another bullet, the Sierra 300gr FN. In order to achieve the same COAL I'd have to trim down near the 2.010" mark to be able to crimp properly. Lastly, I looked at a bullet that you're supposed to trim the brass down to 2.040" from 2.105", that's the Hornady 325gr FTX. The FTX would put me at 2.590" with book-recommended data, but it's not the bullet I'd like to use.

This is the only straight wall cartridge I reload for and I'm fairly new to it, but I'm not new to reloading. I'm concerned that trimming the case down .100" or more is going to really cause pressures to spike. Is it common to trim the case relative to the partition location on the bullet you intend to use? I'm running out of ideas for making ammo that can cycle before I shuttle everything and the rifle. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Why not seat them to where you need, and don’t crimp them? Fill the magazine and begin shooting. Eject the last round in the magazine and measure its OAL. If it hasn’t moved, rock on. If it has, add some neck tension.

I would be much more comfortable crimping them for this rifle. If I didn't and I seated deeper, all rounds but the FTX the case mouth would pass the bearing surface towards the ogive so they'd have to be cut back anyway. I've pondered this option as well.

I suppose I could try cutting it back some and not crimping after belling the mouth, as long as it doesn't obviously hang out.

I would just stop belling the mouth if thats your only reasoning for crimping... both are unnecessary in my book for a cartridge that isnt being reloaded on a progressive and with jacketed bullets to boot.