• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me appraise this rifle- custom Mauser 98

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
A guy wants to trade me this, and I know absolutely nothing about these!

This is his email to me: <span style="font-style: italic">i have a custom built 22-250 this rifle was built from a mauser 98k action it has a 28" extreme bull barrel completely custom cut 1 1/2" at the reciever tapered down to 1 1/4" at the muzzle!! also has custom target stock with 6-18x40 target scope and fully adjustable timney trigger system one of a kind rifle also have 2 boxes of ammo to go with it this rifle is one of a kind and shoots unbelievable accuracy is moa at any distance!</span>

Here are the pics:

P1020007.jpg

P1020001.jpg

P1010999.jpg

I don't know anything about the scope, etc, but I'm asking more questions.

Ballpark guys- what's it worth?

Thanks,

-BM

Re: Help me appraise this rifle- custom Mauser 98

I got a bit more info on the gun, looks like the scope isn't a 6-18 anymore, lol:

<span style="font-style: italic">the trigger is a timney fully adjustable the scope is an older tasco 4-16-40 with the rangefinder and bullet compensator built in with adjustable parallax it has the reference on the zoom for ranges using animals on the crosshairs such as crow, elk etc the crosshairs have dual lines and you align the head and chest of the animal pretty neat really the stock is not marked

the gun is built on a mauser reciever the stock has no markings on it and it is obviously great quality wood that has been fitted perfectly and properly bedded etc the wood when observed up close looks like hard wood floors the way it is fitted really nice (its hard to see in the photos) ive never had this rifle out of the stock and more info may be found once it has been dismantled it may be signed for all i know i just didnt want to touch it and unbalance everything the barrel is only marked with the caliber and thats all i caliberd the diameter and it is 1.785 at the reciever and 1.556 at the muzzle which is pretty big! the gun dry weighs almost 15 lbs</span>

Do you have any pictures of the left side of the receiver? Depending on whether it has a thumb-slot cut for clip charging, it may not be a 98K. No thumb slot might mean it is not a 98k converted mauser, but a commercial mauser like an FN (likely) or maybe even a commercial Oberndorf sporter.

That could have a large impact on it's ultimate value.

Bob

I have almost the exact same thing but in 22-6mm and a high grade walnut stock, I have $525 in mine and its on a Mark X action.

I really doubt that barrel is as large as stated. Even the large rings were only 1.41 diameter receivers, the K's were 1.3. That scope doesn't add any value. Also how does he know that it is properly bedded if he's never had it out of the stock? I'd have to be able to check it out really close before I'd give any more than about $250-300.

Guys, sounds like I don't really need to go much further. I really didn't have a clue about these, but he's looking to trade for a gun that I bought used for $1300.

Sounds like end of story, yes?

No way I do that. I wouldn't give over $350 for that rig. The old-school target style stock on that makes it a dog to get rid of if you ever try.

Too high..

I have one that was converted to .308... and it wears a HEAVY match 22" barrell.

Also... its in some type of wood adjustagle cheek and butt plate stock... (I have NEVER seen another one)

Its a damn TACK DRIVER.... and in the end... I gave $200.00 for it..

Its on its way to R/D Precision in a week to be completely redone... and then scoped with a super sniper... It will be a fun play weapon... thats built like a tank.

Matt.

Yes, definitely too much. Especially being the caliber it is. Not that 22-250 is a bad caliber. It's a very good caliber. It's just a very HOT caliber and prone to burn out barrels. I would want to inspect the throat very carefully... But even then it's maybe a $500 gun... Tops.