• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me build a 300 Blackout on a Savage 10 action

Tyler Kemp

Print Daddy
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
MO
mkmachining.com
Hi everybody. My shooting buddy has several 30 caliber cans that attach via a Surefire brake, and wants to build a handy "truck gun".

Probably thinking a McGowan barrel as they have great reviews in the Savage community and good prices. If dedicated to 208gr Amax subsonic use, would going shorter than 16" be useful?

Not sure whether to go the chassis route, or a synthetic stock. Perhaps a Manners or B&C?

I was imagining a 1-4x or 3-9 SWFA scope up top, but other options would certainly be open.

I have 2 bolt action in 300 AACs, one has a McGowen barrel that is surprisingly accurate. I personally would not SBR one, instead would consider a 14.5" barrel with a pinned muzzle device of appropriate length.

I have a 16in ar in 300 blk out. I had trouble getting enough gas through the carbine length gas system to cycle it reliably. That being said on a bolt gun I think 16in of barrel would be fine as you are not worried with cycling.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

I have a 16in ar in 300 blk out. I had trouble getting enough gas through the carbine length gas system to cycle it reliably. That being said on a bolt gun I think 16in of barrel would be fine as you are not worried with cycling.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

How long ago was that barrel made? As far as I can tell, ever AR BLK barrel now runs a pistol length gas system for just that reason. Hate it for you that you're experiencing that.

Hi everybody. My shooting buddy has several 30 caliber cans that attach via a Surefire brake, and wants to build a handy "truck gun".

Probably thinking a McGowan barrel as they have great reviews in the Savage community and good prices. If dedicated to 208gr Amax subsonic use, would going shorter than 16" be useful?

Not sure whether to go the chassis route, or a synthetic stock. Perhaps a Manners or B&C?

I was imagining a 1-4x or 3-9 SWFA scope up top, but other options would certainly be open.

Find an old accustock to drop it in.

I have an accu stock from a 223 i would possible let go. It is setup with Bottom Bolt release and 5 rd detachable mag and is the digital camo.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

How long ago was that barrel made? As far as I can tell, ever AR BLK barrel now runs a pistol length gas system for just that reason. Hate it for you that you're experiencing that.

I believe I built my blackout AR the winter of 2012/2013 its a Wilson Combat 1-8 Twist 16in Barrel. I still think unless you just want to SBR this rifle a standard 16in Barrel in a bolt gun will work just fine. I think with the 300 AAC BLKOUT there is gain to be had with a shorter barrel, but in an AR platform. I also agree what the pistol length gas system is the answer to the cycling issue's those with Carbine gas systems face. Lucy enough for me, Vhit. N130 is slow enough burning powder that I can make it work. Looks like Ill have to try N133 though when I run out of powder as N130 was discontinued. Guess Load Development never ends. Good luck on your build look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Last edited: