• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Me Buy or Build a .260 for PRS (My First Bolt Action)

xanderzuk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Hi everyone! Long time lurker here at the hide. I’m reaching out to get the help of this great community.

A little background: I’ve competed in USPSA, IDPA, etc and have a very strong competency in pistols. Over the summer I purchased a SCAR 17 and had no problem whacking steel out to 700 yards topped with my Vortex 1-6, and this gave me the itch which I must now scratch. I loved everything about taking those long shots (longer than I was used to), but I actually wanted to slow it down even more. I wanted to cycle the action on my own, get a better understanding of the wind, take a methodic approach to each shot, not to mention bolt actions are just sexy...

Anywho... I love competition and really want to push myself, it’s time to enter this world once and for all. I would like to forego the 6.5 CRD bandwagon (all the ammo is sold out anyway) and do something a little more unique, throwing it back to the .260 Rem. I’m open to buying something off the shelf, but not if it means I have to wait 14 months for it to actually come available (looking at you John Hancock). With that in mind, building doesn’t scare me.

I’d like to get this rifle optimized for PRS, with a focus on reliability, quality, accuracy, configurability and recoil mitigation. (Side note, I’ve read that .260 really benefits from a long action, but maybe that’s anecdotal, please throw your opinion in on this). So please offer one or all of the following:

1) Which rifle you’d buy off the shelf that’s available

2) How you would build a .260 PRS rifle from top to bottom, all components (preferably with commentary)

wild card:

3) A completely different direction altogether (caliber etc)

Looking forward to your input and advice!

Regarding the long action question, I've run both a .260 and .260 Ackley Improved out of short action with Accurate Mags with no binder plate, (allows for 2.945 OAL) and haven't had any issues with clearing even the berger 140s. Short action should do fine.

Reactions: lash
I mean, if the only thing you're doing with it is PRS, and you want to mitigate recoil then I wouldn't get a 260 at all and stick with one of the 6mm chamberings.

I'm no seasoned competitor, so take this with a tsp of salt - I shot a match in February using a .260 with 123 Scenars and didn't have problems spotting my own misses. How much more recoil would the 123 Scenar have over a 108/109gr bullet coming from a 6mm Creedmoor?

I'm no seasoned competitor, so take this with a tsp of salt - I shot a match in February using a .260 with 123 Scenars and didn't have problems spotting my own misses. How much more recoil would the 123 Scenar have over a 108/109gr bullet coming from a 6mm Creedmoor?
He wasn’t talking about that 6mm. 6 BR, 6 Dasher, 6GT etc.

I've never shot a 260, but I assume its damn close to a 6.5cm in recoil, and the recoil in my 6.5 is noticeably more than most of the 6mm options.

I did not mean to imply that you couldn't spot misses with a 260, as good fundamentals can allow that, but theres a reason the 6mm chamberings are so popular in PRS.

Reactions: 260284
Ran a 260 for about 8 years. Mine is on a Remington action with a notched feed ramp, no issues running 140 Berger or 130 bergers. If I was to do it again I would skip the Remington and go bighorn orgin, feed ramp is already notched and prefit barrels r available. I've used mdt , accumag and and ai mags with binder plate removed, no issues. 260 is an awesome cartridge and u can buy factory ammo for it Berger makes some pretty rounds for it ,I did reload for mine, accuracy was exceptional and very consistent with low es and sd using 4350, Br2 primers and lapua cases. Running a 260 now with bartlein mtu 27" , rl-16 and nosler 140 red, 25 shots with es of 23 and sd of 6.4 jumped 40 thousandths. Love my 260.

I've never shot a 260, but I assume its damn close to a 6.5cm in recoil, and the recoil in my 6.5 is noticeably more than most of the 6mm options.

I did not mean to imply that you couldn't spot misses with a 260, as good fundamentals can allow that, but theres a reason the 6mm chamberings are so popular in PRS.

I guess if you're right, given that it would a be a dedicated competition rig. 6mm seems to be the shiz lately, and I've even seen some guys run .22 BR with great success too.

Those suggesting a different cartridge, I would still like to hear how you would setup the gun

If money was no option, then I'd get either the MDT ACC or the KRG Whiskey-3 Competition chassis

I just got my first fancy action by way of a Kelbly's Atlas Tactical and I can't say enough good things about it. The Bighorn origin has a big following as well, but if I had the extra cash, I'd get the TL3 instead.

If I were in your shoes and had the cash, as of right now, I'd get:

Bighorn TL3
Bix N Andy TacSport Pro trigger
PVA cut-rifled prefit 26-28" M40 or MTU chambered in 6BRA
KRG Whiskey-3 Competition chassis
plus whatever scope you want

Reactions: Stalzer
I put a Tikka T3x CTR in .260 in a McMillan stock and find it fine for PRS. I'm not a top competitor, though. To use an analogy you'd get, think of the USPSA shooters who shoot STI open guns in .38 Super. That would be your custom actions chambered for 6 GT in a chassis with weights and arca rails. I have fun but I'm not trying for the top spot.

Whatever cartridge you decide on, make sure you already have, or can get components to load it.

Cartridges that have both LR and SR primer pocket brass available are appealing to me in the times we are headed into.

Reactions: Adam Frantz
Whatever cartridge you decide on, make sure you already have, or can get components to load it.

Cartridges that have both LR and SR primer pocket brass available are appealing to me in the times we are headed into.

Amen. Found 800 large rifle primers in stock recently and have both lrp and srp .260 brass. So glad I have both.

Reactions: Campguy308
Hi everyone! Long time lurker here at the hide. I’m reaching out to get the help of this great community.

A little background: I’ve competed in USPSA, IDPA, etc and have a very strong competency in pistols. Over the summer I purchased a SCAR 17 and had no problem whacking steel out to 700 yards topped with my Vortex 1-6, and this gave me the itch which I must now scratch. I loved everything about taking those long shots (longer than I was used to), but I actually wanted to slow it down even more. I wanted to cycle the action on my own, get a better understanding of the wind, take a methodic approach to each shot, not to mention bolt actions are just sexy...

Anywho... I love competition and really want to push myself, it’s time to enter this world once and for all. I would like to forego the 6.5 CRD bandwagon (all the ammo is sold out anyway) and do something a little more unique, throwing it back to the .260 Rem. I’m open to buying something off the shelf, but not if it means I have to wait 14 months for it to actually come available (looking at you John Hancock). With that in mind, building doesn’t scare me.

I’d like to get this rifle optimized for PRS, with a focus on reliability, quality, accuracy, configurability and recoil mitigation. (Side note, I’ve read that .260 really benefits from a long action, but maybe that’s anecdotal, please throw your opinion in on this). So please offer one or all of the following:

1) Which rifle you’d buy off the shelf that’s available

2) How you would build a .260 PRS rifle from top to bottom, all components (preferably with commentary)

wild card:

3) A completely different direction altogether (caliber etc)

Looking forward to your input and advice!

do you plan on reloading?

Amen. Found 800 large rifle primers in stock recently and have both lrp and srp .260 brass. So glad I have both.
This is no joke. And its not gonna get any better. Another thing, i wouldn't chamber anything that only runs on varget or h4895 right now unless you have loads of it.

I agree with the above on 6mm over the 260.

Whatever your cartridge of choice, build it on an action that has readily available prefits. Personal choice would be Impact or Lone Peak. Then you can drop the 260 for anything with a simple barrel swap down the road.

This is no joke. And its not gonna get any better. Another thing, i wouldn't chamber anything that only runs on varget or h4895 right now unless you have loads of it.

In a similar vein, this was my motivation behind .260, I can still buy it off the shelf.

If there’s a chambering that has readily available primers, brass, propellant, and bullets, I’m all ears.

It also sounds like the consensus is to go towards something 6mm...

4EF8F999-FCA9-4C93-97D1-92C5F5C7A879.jpeg

Okay, now that that is out of the way, let’s get down to discussion. First,you need to decide if you prefer a pure chassis or a more traditional style stock or stock with integral chassis. That makes a difference.

I happen to prefer the more traditional stock style of rifle and still favor a Manners in T4A, T2A, T6A, or PRS1/PRS2 format. Others that prefer more traditional stocks May choose McMillan or Foundation versions of same.

If you don’t know which you might like, stock or chassis, just pick what appeals to you.

As to action brand/style/type, I personally believe that any of the upgraded rem style actions plus the newer styles like Mausingfield/TL3 etc work as well as the next for this game. Personal preferences and choices only make the difference here once you really have spent some time behind a few and have developed minor preferences. Otherwise, pick one and go shoot already.

Same goes for barrels. Buy a premium brand barrel of any name from a known smith who builds precision rifles and you’ll be golden.

Current trend is heavy systems that round out in the 25-30 pound range, though I’m still around 18-20 and don’t plan on adding more weight.

In a similar vein, this was my motivation behind .260, I can still buy it off the shelf.

If there’s a chambering that has readily available primers, brass, propellant, and bullets, I’m all ears.

It also sounds like the consensus is to go towards something 6mm...
You can get factory 6GT ammo but not really any factory offerings for the BR bases cartridges.

25 - 30lbs!? 😯
Yes. A few guys shooting the SE division are shooting 6BR/6Dasher in MPA stocks with all the weights and full cylinder truck axle barrels. With brakes. When there are no unsupported stages like is currently the trend here, the incentive is to make it heavier to reduce rifle movement from recoil. Like almost none.

Ha ha, I thought my AI in the AO chassis with 2lb weight and AX buttstock, 24" comp contour, 7x35 ATACR, and heavy tactical rings was heavy and thats only 22lbs. I'd have to use a 10lb weight kit to get in the heavyweight division in your area! I'm honestly not even sure how to add that much weight.
Yeah, the MPA chassis hides it surprisingly well, you’d never know it until you have to hand one to someone on a platform. Then you realize that you didn’t work out enough to play with the young kids. 😉😎

Ha ha, I thought my AI in the AO chassis with 2lb weight and AX buttstock, 24" comp contour, 7x35 ATACR, and heavy tactical rings was heavy and thats only 22lbs. I'd have to use a 10lb weight kit to get in the heavyweight division in your area! I'm honestly not even sure how to add that much weight.
I can remember a few years back when people would bitch about the unnecessary weight of the AI rifles and it looked like things were trending lighter. Every stock and chassis maker was coming out with light and carbon fiber stocks and chassis.

Then the game changed a bit and stages started getting to be more about speed and all at 90-120 seconds. 6mm mouse farts became the norm and recoil-less systems the trend. Yank off 10 shots in 90 seconds at 5 different distances and two targets at every distance. Or take the standardized skills barricade stage, a 10” steel at 400 yards. Who can clean it fastest sometimes determines the winner in ever close finishing runs.

But I digress...

Reactions: rothgyr and Adam B
Regarding the long action question, I've run both a .260 and .260 Ackley Improved out of short action with Accurate Mags with no binder plate, (allows for 2.945 OAL) and haven't had any issues with clearing even the berger 140s. Short action should do fine.
I run a throated 260 with no binder mags in a short action.
Great combination with a bit extra powder capacity.

I bet ARC mags will run a .260 pretty good. I use them for my 6.5SST. I installed threw my first ARC mag into the woods when trying to use them for 6 Dasher 6 years ago, but someone turned me onto them for big cartridges in a SA. They allow a 2.970" coal. They work better for fatter cartridges. AW mags would be good too in .260.
They do.
I use them for my 260 and 7 saum.

Reactions: reubenski
Go 6mm, terminus or lone peak, zco optic. Just go balls deep out the gate. You can also spectate or ro a match and watch different rigs.

Reactions: reubenski
Bighorn TL3
Bix N Andy TacSport Pro trigger
KRG Whiskey-3 Competition chassis

Gustav is close, but let me fix a couple things :)

If cost isn't an option:

Bighorn TL3
Bix N Andy TacSport Pro Benchrest trigger
KRG Whiskey-3 Competition Manners PRS TCS - all the goodies built in from the start, and you get something closer to a standard stock vs. a chassis

As to the caliber, I'm a huge fan of the 6BRA, but if you want to shoot past ~1200 yards or so, it's not so good for that. The 260 will reach out quite nicely. While the 6s in general offer better PRS calibers, if you want to do other things, the 260 is a better all around round.

Reactions: Gustav7
Lots of good advice above, I'll echo the recommendation to go 6mm if your goal is PRS. I would skip buying a factory rifle and just build your own with off the shelf parts, all you have to do is screw on a barrel with a vice/action wrench.

For caliber I'd say you should go simple/small and get a straight 6BR, and plan on learning to reload. The 6BR is very accurate, and forgiving to load for. Would be perfect as something friendly to learn on that would remain competitive all the way up to the top levels.

For the build (especially since you're in Texas) I'd say go with the following. Foundation Stock (Centurion or Genesis MG2), Impact action, Trigger Tech Diamond Pro Curve, Hawkins Bottom Metal, Full Length Arca Rail, and a high end scope with quality rings, and a 28" long heavy contour (MTU, Heavy Varmint, M24) prefit barrel from Stuteville or Altus or similar. Run single stack AICS magazines with a spacer kit for the short BR case, with the Altus +2 baseplate to convert them to 12 rounds capacity.

Reloading I would keep it simple, just a single stage press and basic powder scale. Lapua brass, 30gr of Varget (if you can find it) behind a Berger 105 hybrid. Nothing complicated, but would still be probably the most accurate rifle you've ever shot.

Then go shoot matches. Best part of a Foundation/Impact build in Texas is that you'll fit right in, and when you don't win and want to blame the gear you can look up at the podium and see that the winners are shooting the exact same rig. :)

I have one finishing up. T&J Tactical is building it. They been shooting 260’s for years and years and build great rifles at a very reasonable price.

Why not 6.5 PRC? I think it was 3rd most popular PRS caliber last year. Factory cartride that outperforms 6.5 CM, and is even used in ELR. I just bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 PRC and miraculously found 800 rounds of Hornady ELD-M, so now I'll have brass to reload if I can't find more ammo.

I’m getting ready to start barrel number for for my .260. It’s been a favorite and standby for a number of years now. I don’t think that I’ll ever not have one.

Mine is and has been a 26” barrel in M24/MTU/Heavy Varmint, so far either Bartlein or Rock Creek, 8 twist.For PRS and other field rifle or precision rifle matches, I do not prefer a tight match chamber and had one opened up to right about SAAMI spec. I found the match chamber to be too tight and finicky for reliable and consistent feeding. I still have no problem getting single digit SDs by using very consistent loading practices and neck tension.

I still am using the original Stiller TAC30AW action and AW mags tens of thousands of rounds later and see no reason to change. It sets in an early Manners T4A stock with mini chassis and the forearm is most often supported by my standby Harris bipod, just because it all works. That said, I will likely get another more modern and more expensive bipod someday for this rifle. I already have an LRA for my ELR rifle and an Atlas CAL. I just haven’t gotten used to anything that works right yet.

Mine is currently topped with a Steiner T5Xi 5-25 which works quite well. Had I the extra cabbage, I get one each of ZCO, Nightforce 7-35 ATACR and maybe a Minox to check out and likely use one of them.

All that having been said, I am on the down slide in competition involvement currently and haven’t had either the time nor funds recently to try and stay competitive. So I mostly attend matches just to compete with myself and enjoy the camaraderie.

Oh and also, I recently completed a similarish build in 6 BR, using a 27” M24 7.5 twist barrel. Not great timing considering the current ammo and components situation.

Reactions: Defender3
Where in TX are you? I can get you behind a few different custom prs rifles.
I’m in north Texas close to Double tap ranch.

The one thing I can tell you is buy once and buy right! Get what you really really want the first time around! Personally I prefer the 6’s over the 6.5’s but would recommend a 6.5 as it’s a better entry level round meaning you can get double plus some amount of barrel life compared to a hard run 6. I’d highly recommend the 260. Rem!

With that said for a different route would be 25 creed. Just got into it this year and absolutely love it!! Less recoil then my 260, better in the wind then both my 260 and 6 creed plus it’s just got a cool factor too it!!

If I were building yet another prs style gun, right now I’d would be one of these;

- terminus Zeus if you want 60 degree or a impact precision for the standard throw
-benchmark, bartlein or KS barrel
- krg whiskey 3 without a doubt for a chassis or a manners prs for a stock with mini chassis
- trigger tech diamond or bix and Andy trigger
-heathen muzzle brake
-spur mount
- an optic of your choice.

I’ve owned a 260 rem for roughly 7 years I’d say and I love it! But my favourite is my 25 creed for sure
74796CCB-70B6-456A-A765-A3CFCACB86AD.jpeg

It’s a stiller tac 30, McMillan a5, jewel trigger, ptg bottom metal, benchmark barrel. The gun and round is fantastic!

If you’re doing a .260 for PRS, I’ll assume you’re not concerned with pushing the top or keeping up with all the current gamer stuff (nothing wrong with either).

So, get an AI-AT in .260 and be done.

Why not 6.5 PRC? I think it was 3rd most popular PRS caliber last year. Factory cartride that outperforms 6.5 CM, and is even used in ELR. I just bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 PRC and miraculously found 800 rounds of Hornady ELD-M, so now I'll have brass to reload if I can't find more ammo.
Where do you see its 3rd most popular?

Lots of people are seeing the Precision Rifle Blog about the NF ELR match and not realizing that was just for that match (since it’s fairly unique) and not the list for the actual series.

For the OP, a 6.5prc will beat you up and not be worth it for normal matches.

Reactions: 260284 and lash

You ain’t gonna like 6.5prc for normal prs matches.

If you’re doing a .260 for PRS, I’ll assume you’re not concerned with pushing the top or keeping up with all the current gamer stuff (nothing wrong with either).

So, get an AI-AT in .260 and be done.

While I never like to be at the bottom of the pack, I’m most competitive with myself. With almost any platform that I’ve shot, be it sporting clays or pistol I can shoot at the top 75% or better without practice. I just enjoy the pressure and learning from great shooters.

While I never like to be at the bottom of the pack, I’m most competitive with myself. With almost any platform that I’ve shot, be it sporting clays or pistol I can shoot at the top 75% or better without practice. I just enjoy the pressure and learning from great shooters.

You’ll do fine with a .260 or an AI.

But, you won’t have the most optimal cartridge if you’re not running a 6mm.

You could pick up a Ready to Ship 6GT @ GAP, or have anything you'd like built, and/or call Mark Gordon @ SAC. Both have built me 260 Remingtons I used in PRS with no issues whatsoever. Bare barrel too, or suppressed, but I preferred bare no break, around 16 lbs 24"-27" bbls. AWAI mag cutout, one was a Surgeon Action, loved it, no matter how dirty it got it ran fast. The other is a Alpha 11 Gen 2 SAC has made by Defiance that I like alot too. My 27" 260 SAC built rifle runs 142 SMK @ 2,850 f/s sd in the 6's w/H4350. No problem getting Lapua 260 brass, or the 142 SMK's and I still see H4350 on the shelfs, and at Brownells. The 260 TAC will give you more case space if that interests you.

3rd most at PRS? My mistake (although I thought I saw it somewhere.) It was the #1 cartridge at Nightforces's ELR Steel Challenge in WY this year.

If it was that popular a factory cartridge, I'm betting it'll take off in PRS this year. It's a 6.5 CM with "Magnum" performance. What's not to like about 6.5 PRC in a factory 6.5 caliber?

Last edited:
PRS and my 6.5PRC RPR are new to me, but I fire my Barrett M82A1 .50 BMG regularly, so I don't think recoil is going to be an issue (if that's what you mean.)
The recoil won't bother you in pain, it will just make it tougher to spot where your rounds hit so that you can make corrections, especially on barricade. But live your best life and run what you brung.

I wouldn’t shoot a 6.5 PRC in any sort of matches. Match directors will hate you for beating all the props up.

shot a 6.5 SAUM and saw what it was doing to steel. Also shot a match one time where a guy was shooting a .300 WM LOL. That was an exciting day to watch.