• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me choose a caliber/barrel length for a suppressed deer gun

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Mission: Hunting Deer
Hunting Terrain: Mountainous woods with some fields, 300 yards max visibility, most shots much closer.
Action: Bighorn TL3
Suppressor: TBAC Dominus SR 30 cal
Caliber range: .243-.300 (.223 illegal in VA)
Current configuration: 300 WSM 24" proof carbon barrel, unsuppressed
Priorities: Handy, More than adequate effectiveness, Good Suppression,

As the title says, I'm considering buying a new barrel for my rifle for dedicated suppressed deer hunting, my hearing is starting to fade and remembering to wear ear pro in the woods is hit or miss. I like my current rifle and the 300 wsm, but a 24" barrel plus the 6.3" the suppressor would add is too long. I have a bias for 30 calibers and am considering the following options, but am open to others:

1. 14.5" 308 pinned and welded to 16" with TBAC SR muzzle device
Pros: ~20" total length with suppressor, light and handy, easily within suppressor specs, cool in a subversive way
Cons: married to a muzzle device, limited performance, adding a new caliber (not a big deal, but a slight negative)
2. 16" 308 rifle with TBAC SR device
Pros: ~22" total length with suppressor, not married to muzzle device, easily within suppressor specs, slightly better performance than 1
Cons: Only saving two inches off of status quo, Performance still diminished over a typical length barrel, adding new caliber, like buying a minivan - sensible and dull
3. 18" 300 WSM with TBAC SR device
Pros: Stay with what I have ammo for, significantly more power than 1 or 2, can use heavier bullets, within suppressor specs, cool in a subversive way
Cons: May be defeating the purpose of a magnum, harder on the suppressor than 1 or 2, louder than 1 and 2, roughly same length as status quo ~24", god help me if I touch it off with just the break
4. 20" 300 WSM with TBAC SR device
Pros: Best performance on list, well within suppressor specs, keep same ammo, can use heavier bullets
Cons: Still limiting performance of magnum, two inches longer than status quo ~26, still probably fairly loud

I'm leaning towards 2 because it is the sensible middle option, but it also just seems so vanilla. Any other factors I should consider or suggestions?

We have them but I don’t want to deal with it for this.
Then I’d go either 14.5 pin/weld or 16” threaded. But, form1 s are coming back in a month or 2. You could have approval for your rifle before you have the barrel. Either way, I’d stay with 308win.

Or… Buy a new receiver. Insure it is transferred to you as a receiver- not a rifle. Buy a chassis that accepts AR furniture. Slap a pistol brace on it and rock any barrel length you like.

I’m not a lawyer, and more importantly, I’m not YOUR lawyer…

I’d just use it as it is now and live with the “too long” and come to discover it really isn’t.

But if you must then 2
Even if he wants to, he probably cannot have the Proof carbon barrel threaded to accept a can…

I’m with Spife on this one but if you’re just itching to play with firearm Legos and want to stick with one of your options, #2 would be the easiest option.

There are dozens of cartridges that are capable of what you’re asking so if you really are looking for something else, be prepared to sift through a lot more info

If you aren't going to use it past 300 then I would recommend a 358 winchester with a 16 inch barrel.

It is based off a .308 case so easy to get brass.

It should suppress very nicely.

If you aren't going to use it past 300 then I would recommend a 358 winchester with a 16 inch barrel.

It is based off a .308 case so easy to get brass.

It should suppress very nicely.
Going to be tough to squeeze that .358 bullet through a .30 suppressor.

Ive got a 20” proof 300 WSM that I use with a U7. It’s my preferred out west rifle. But for your case, I’d go #2 and call it good. A 16” 308 will kill any deer out there within 300 yards

Going to be tough to squeeze that .358 bullet through a .30 suppressor.

Ive got a 20” proof 300 WSM that I use with a U7. It’s my preferred out west rifle. But for your case, I’d go #2 and call it good. A 16” 308 will kill any deer out there within 300 yards
Nope, it’s actually really easy
Just pull the trigger one time :ROFLMAO:

I’m in western PA and hunt similiar terrain. Hunting a mix of from the ground, ladder stands, box blinds, and lock ons. This is my current rifle. A Defiance Rebel sheep port XM action, 22in Proof Research CF barrel, Manners CF EH4 stock, Talley rings, Leupold VX5HD, Jewell trigger, 300wsm. Weighs under 8lbs. It’s a monster on white tail with 168g pills. While the weight is very respectable for carrying in my area, I find even the 22in barrel to be annoying walking through the mountain Laurel / underbrush. Even more so with a suppressor on it. Getting the rifle out through ladder stand windows is annoying too. Plus it’s just too much gun for our deer here.

A3EBA736-D919-4ACF-B801-D11BDB893459.jpeg

So now I find myself building something more specific for how I hunt in my area. What I’ve come up with is a Manners EH4 CF stock, 18in Proof Research CF lite sendero barrel, BAT Bumblebee ultralight short action, Hawkins aluminum M5 BDL, Talley rings, and a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 optic. Chambered in 6.5x47.

This rifle should be in the 6.5-7lb range, be short and handy for hunting from blinds, be nice to maneuver through the woods, and the caliber is just about perfect for the sub 300yd shots that are most common for the properties I hunt. Which is a mixture of woods, open ag fields, and food plots.

My .02 from someone it a similiar hunting scenario as you.

Just took my western hunting rifle deer slayin. It may have been overkill, but it was surely effective!

Seekins Element in 6.5 PRC

Attachments

• 20221217_074621.jpg
    20221217_074621.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 102
  • 20221216_182747.jpg
    20221216_182747.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20221216_153048.jpg
    20221216_153048.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • 20221217_182637.jpg
    20221217_182637.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 92
In my opinion the sweet spot for deer is the smaller 6mm-6.5mm cartridges like 243 or 6.5 creed. The terminal ballistics are very consistent and results in minimal meat loss more times than not.

Reactions: Simonsza1
18" 6.5 Creed.
140 eld-m
147 eld-m

Both have killed elk out to 550, and deer at 400 for me.

You don't need a magnum to knock down a mule deer at 300. Get something more pleasant to shoot the 99% of the time you're not hunting.

Other deer calibers I've had good luck with...
25-06
6mm br & brx
22-250
280 rem
7mm-08
257 weatherby
6.5 PRC
357 & 41 Magnum in pistols.

So far caliber hasn't mattered. Put one in the lungs and they go down. I'm not one to take the Texas heart shot, but that's the only one that may need a little extra horsepower.

Just had LRI barrel my TL3. 16 inch 308. Will be running a sdn6 converted to accept a cherrybomb.

Love me some shorty 308.

Attachments

• F8B673B3-30B5-4E6E-8D82-211E5A09DA5D.jpeg
    F8B673B3-30B5-4E6E-8D82-211E5A09DA5D.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: TacosGigante
Let me throw out another possible option. Henry 44 mag X series lever action has threaded barrel and its not that hard if you reload to get 240 grain bullets down below 1080 fps / subsonic.

For southern whitetail at 300 and under, I don’t understand why you’d want more than a 16” 223. If that’s really not enough, a 16” 6 creed would also be nice.

For southern whitetail at 300 and under, I don’t understand why you’d want more than a 16” 223. ...
OP said that .223 isn't legal for deer where he lives.

----
I don't see anything particularly wrong with .308Win, or 6.5whicheveryouprefer.

OP said that .223 isn't legal for deer where he lives.

----
I don't see anything particularly wrong with .308Win, or 6.5whicheveryouprefer.
I must’ve missed the part where VA thinks their deer are built different.

There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just unnecessary. Referring only to the .308, as a mild 6.5 would be my next choice after a 6mm.

My point is deer aren’t hard to kill, so one may as well keep recoil to a minimum.

Reactions: mkollman74
As for a short barreled rifle in the 16-18 inch range ur going to want to keep it in the short action/ 30 cal area imo. The 6.5s and the magnums have slower powders that require a little more barrel ( around 22-2) to burn ur powder load completely to really get reasonable speeds out of it. I would push for a 18” 308. That being said 300 yards it’s very far out there. But you should gain a little more consistency with a full powder burn as well or at least close.

out of your choices 2 or 4 depending on if you want ammo.

My choice would be 16” 6.5 saum and focus on the 120-130 range bullets…3k is obtainable. My friends call it Nasty…I’ve already been talked out of one and a buddy reached out last week inquiring about the 2nd one. I’ll always have one, too handy in a blind.

It's not, it's a form 1
Looks good. I have a 9.6” titanium tube filled with Dino’s but it is pretty heavy with a Rearden 2 port break and Atlas XL. I went the Form 1 route to save time and like it but it is heavy. I have it on a Remington varmint 308 with 20” heavy barrel.

Let me throw out another possible option. Henry 44 mag X series lever action has threaded barrel and its not that hard if you reload to get 240 grain bullets down below 1080 fps / subsonic.
I use a Henry X-Model .30-30. It's amazingly quiet with my Phantom Ti and factory ammo, Win. Super-X 170 gr.

Kills deer dead.