• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me choose a high end barrel...

BigPoppaHugeTime

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2006
USA
I recently helped a friend "assemble" his first black rifle. It was a standard stripped lower, PSA lpk, RRA match trigger, PRS stock, and then we slapped a RRA 20" Predator Pursuit on it to top it off.

Anyway, after messing around with it a bit, I fell in love with the way it handles. I already have a Bushy Varminter for my long range bench work, but this 20" really got me thinking. The wife even gave me the go ahead to build an upper, so I can't pass this up.

Here's the rifle's intended uses and what I'm looking for;
-I plan on using it for coyote hunting, paper punching, and prairie dogs
-I want the most accurate barrel possible
-20" 1:8 twist Wylde chamber in SS. I would prefer a medium contour (no bull barrels!)
-Must be threaded (plan on getting a suppressor next year
grin.gif
)
-Not sure on handguard yet...

I've been looking at barrels, but there are a lot out there. So far I've been milling over Kreiger and Lilja, but I want more options. The Kreiger is definately at the top of the budget, so it has to be that price or less. What other barrels can I consider that are right up there with these two?

Re: Help me choose a high end barrel...

I'd get the Lilja they are bar none my favorite barrel maker but Kreiger does make some fine barrels too so both your choices are great.
Whatever you do STAY AWAY from Lothar and Walther. Woody who runs the shop has terrorable people skills and will lie to you about lead times. I'd also stay away from Satern at this time because they are swamped.

I bought a used 16" 1/7.7 chambered by CLE. It is an absolute hammer. If you can dope the wind it will hit a prairie dog sized target at 700 easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walther </div></div>
THIS.. my 16" fluted shoots ragged holes at 100 ALL DAY with 77gr BTHP... LILJA would be an excellent choice as well

I have a Kreiger 16" and it is a absolute tack driver. 1-7 twist and pushes 77g SMK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walther </div></div>

i'd recommend this barrel as well. it's not just accurate, it's very cost effective compared to other barrels out there. i have shot a buddy's LW barrel and it very accurate. i'm going to build a new rifle w/ the same barrel. saves me $100 over my Noveske barrel.

Bartlien, Krieger, Lilja, Broghton, Hart,..... You can't go wrong with any of these.

after building my 6.5 grendel with a satern barrel when I shoot out my JP barrel on my .223 the replacement will be a satern cut rifled barrel for on there.

+1 for Satern machining....anything that's worth a shit is worth waiting for.

+1 for the Rainier Ultramatch. They tend to be lighter contoured than other precision barrels. The 16" barrels are close to a medium contour -- .750" on the muzzle end and .800" on the receiver end. Made from a Shilen blank, 1:8 twist, SS, etc. Sub-moa guarantee on their Match and Ultramatch barrels.

You can also do a Bartlein and have them drop ship it to Compass Lake Engineering where they will cut it to your liking for around $130. That's what I'm doing. I just ordered the barrel today for mine.

FYI- Brian at Bartlein turned me onto Compass Lake Engineering and they will provide a matching bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonprox700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here's the rifle's intended uses and what I'm looking for;
-I plan on using it for coyote hunting, paper punching, and prairie dogs
-I want the most accurate barrel possible
-20" 1:8 twist Wylde chamber in SS. I would prefer a medium contour (no bull barrels!)
-Must be threaded (plan on getting a suppressor next year
grin.gif
)
-Not sure on handguard yet...

I've been looking at barrels, but there are a lot out there. So far I've been milling over Kreiger and Lilja, but I want more options. The Kreiger is definately at the top of the budget, so it has to be that price or less. What other barrels can I consider that are right up there with these two? </div></div>

A number of years ago, I had a Gary Schneider barrel installed on my service rifle. It is 20 inch 1:8 twist SS barrel and it has been superbly accurate with a number of different loads, and easy to clean, too.

Schneider Rifle Barrels
1403 Red Baron
Payson, AZ 85541
Phone: (928) 474-2852

Reportedly, David Tubb uses Schneider barrels exclusively.

I just ordered a 16" krieger myself for my AR. They are just releasing a batch of 16" barrels in a week or so. I know you listed 20", but if you decide you want shorter I would act fast if you want one of those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also do a Bartlein and have them drop ship it to Compass Lake Engineering where they will cut it to your liking for around $130. That's what I'm doing. I just ordered the barrel today for mine.

FYI- Brian at Bartlein turned me onto Compass Lake Engineering and they will provide a matching bolt. </div></div>

+1. I've two rifles with Bartlein barrels - excellent quality.

My 16" Krieger/Compass Lake is a laser, originally a little dissapointed with it, then about 150 rounds later it is shooting like my SPR Mod0 (Krieger 18" SPR profile).
I have it set up for the OPS 12th Suppressor, zero POI shift and accuracy is even better suppressed.
Not sure how it gets any better than this rifle.

Benchmark Barrels makes some high speed stuff. Maybe only a handful of folks have heard of them but I would bet the folks who have have nothing bad to say. I have one of their DMR barrels on my AR and it is a one hole gun. I am working with them now to build me another one for my .300 wm also. Their shop is 3 miles from my house so it makes it easy but they ship to anyone anywhere. Small time but very good folks.

Several years ago Schneider won the Marine Corps test of longest lasting 308 barrel that met their accuracy standard. Gary has a barrel in the shop the Corp sent back for him to evaluate. It still was shooting better than their "standard" at over 14000 rounds.

DTubb