• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me choose a scope

Tarasdad

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2020
Lancaster, CA, USA
I find myself in need of assistance in choosing a suitable optic. The rifle in question is a SIG Cross in 6.5 Creedmoor with 18" barrel. My primary use will be target shooting, possibly benchrest and PRS. It will also likely be used for hunting. I don't typically do any night shooting so that's not an issue. Budget-wise I'm fairly limited, so $500 max. I realize this is a rifle that deserves much better but I live on SSDI so spare spending money is a bit tough to come by.

As far as preferences I'm looking for FFP (if possible, I know the budget limitation makes it difficult), 30mm tube, MOA preferred but MIL will also work - just easier for this old brain to handle the "simple" math of MOA ;). MIL-dot or similar MOA reticle of course.

Any suggestions/advice very much appreciated!

At $500, i would go to natchez and buy a weaver tactical. It's made in Japan @ LOW and has great glass quality and image. I would think that's your best bet.

This one

At $500, i would go to natchez and buy a weaver tactical. It's made in Japan @ LOW and has great glass quality and image. I would think that's your best bet.

This one

Odd coincidence that you mention Weaver. I have an old El Paso Weaver T-10 that I plan to use until I can get something better to replace it.

Odd coincidence that you mention Weaver. I have an old El Paso Weaver T-10 that I plan to use until I can get something better to replace it.

I've had two scopes from the tactical line of scopes that weaver made. I had a 3-15 and a 6-30. I found the scopes to be built like a tank. I didn't really use the 6-30 but the 3-15 had amazing clarity and brightness. It punches way above it's price point if you ask me. With your very limited budget, there isn't a lot of options. But with that weaver being an option, you don't need to consider much else!

From what ive heard, these are nice. The reticle is easy also

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201110-021841.png
    Screenshot_20201110-021841.png
    858.1 KB · Views: 91
These may be with looking at. Dark lord of optics on youtube reviewed 5-30x56.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201110-023643.png
    Screenshot_20201110-023643.png
    821.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20201110-023554.png
    Screenshot_20201110-023554.png
    852.9 KB · Views: 80
Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 30mm tube, illuminated for hunting, all the bells and whistles for shooting, great warranty. Easily had for $500 used.

I have one on a 22lr that has been dialed a lot and it’s performed flawlessly. Glass is surprisingly good also.

I find myself in need of assistance in choosing a suitable optic. The rifle in question is a SIG Cross in 6.5 Creedmoor with 18" barrel. My primary use will be target shooting, possibly benchrest and PRS. It will also likely be used for hunting. I don't typically do any night shooting so that's not an issue. Budget-wise I'm fairly limited, so $500 max. I realize this is a rifle that deserves much better but I live on SSDI so spare spending money is a bit tough to come by.

As far as preferences I'm looking for FFP (if possible, I know the budget limitation makes it difficult), 30mm tube, MOA preferred but MIL will also work - just easier for this old brain to handle the "simple" math of MOA ;). MIL-dot or similar MOA reticle of course.

Any suggestions/advice very much appreciated!
I have a couple of Hawke scopes, and they are awesome price-value-performers. With a 6.5, I'd recommend this one ...

I know it’s a bit out of budget, but for that rifle I think the (on sale $800 @ euro optics) Vortex Razor LHT 3-15 is about a perfect combo. That being said I do understand the budget. Good luck and I hope you enjoy whatever you find!

We have the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 in MIL or MOA on sale, reduced from $799.99 to only $549.99. This is a great scope that is worth considering.
FEATURES
  • HD Glass: HD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
  • Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
  • High Precision Erector System: The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Exposed Tactical Direct Dial: Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
  • One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .

We have the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 in MIL or MOA on sale, reduced from $799.99 to only $549.99. This is a great scope that is worth considering.
FEATURES
  • HD Glass: HD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
  • Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
  • High Precision Erector System: The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Exposed Tactical Direct Dial: Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
  • One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
I wish I knew this shit 2 weeks ago. Wow a zero stop is a must for me. Thats a good deal at that price

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
vortex also has some in that price range that are pretty nice just more options good luck on what ever you decide to get .

For under $500 I'll throw in the Sig Sauer Tango 4, Euro Optic has the simple MOA/mil reticle models at $440 with free shipping which is hard to beat in my opinion. I've had experience with three of the 4-16x44 versions (one gen1 and two gen 2 models) and they have all tracked well.

Plus it'll match nicely with your Sig Cross rifle ;)

Reactions: stello1001
Any opinions on the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50?

That's the gen 1. I had heared about those having some issues and they quit making them. Don't exactly remember why they did

Just came out. Good reviews so far. Gen 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201112-063546.png
    Screenshot_20201112-063546.png
    833.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20201112-063605.png
    Screenshot_20201112-063605.png
    826.2 KB · Views: 45
Arken Optics have a good reputation in that price point as well. My brother in law has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical in that price range and frankly I’m not too impressed with that line FWIW.

For $500 I'd keep a close eye on the PX section for a used gen 1 vortex pst 6-24x50, moa tends to be a tad cheaper than mil as well.
I no longer have a g1 6-24, but I used it for everything from 30yd 22lr to 1,200yd 308 shooting and it served very well.

According to SIG the camo version of the Cross may not ship before the end of the year so I have plenty of time to research the appropriate optic. The problem, as always, will be ensuring the funds and the optic are both available at the same time - not always the easiest thing to coordinate! As stated above I do have a scope I can use if necessary, an old Weaver T-10 with 1/8 MOA dot crosshair. The challenge with it is seeing the damn thing! Aging eyes and astigmatism do NOT make that the easiest task!

For $500 I'd keep a close eye on the PX section for a used gen 1 vortex pst 6-24x50, moa tends to be a tad cheaper than mil as well.
I no longer have a g1 6-24, but I used it for everything from 30yd 22lr to 1,200yd 308 shooting and it served very well.
For me theres a lot better glass and features for around the same money as a used pst gen. Kinda out dated, it works, just a lot better options for the same or less money

Sportsmans guide has the crimson trace 2 series 6 24 56 at a good deal. i had one for about a month. it was a good scope, just didnt have a zero stop so i upgraded. think i paid 584