• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me choose a set of higher end rings

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    I started a thread about larue rings, but I think I've narrowed it down to 4 brands. If I had to choose between these PIC rings:

1) Badger
    2) Seekins
    3) Leupold Mk 4
    4) Larue QD

Which would you pick and why? Primary use is Tac matches and shooting steel at 1K.

What says the hive?

Re: Help me choose a set of higher end rings

I have yet to see a better ring than the Badger or Mk4s.

I have Badger Rings on all my precision rifles. Mainly because I need 34mm. Very well constructed, durable rings. I personally love the USMC style rings with the 6 screw front ring and 4 screw rear ring. Only drawback is the weight. I have had Leupold MK 4's and never had any trouble with them. I currently have a set on my 10/22. I don't own a set of Seekins rings but one of my friends that I shoot with at least 2 or 3 times a week, loves his. The Seekins rings seem to be a much more slim lined design and have a much better finnish on them. Not near the weight either.

In my opinion I would go with Badger or Seekins. If you want to save a little money go with the Leupold MK4 and they wont let you down either. JAA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beltfed74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to see a better ring than the Badger or Mk4s. </div></div>

LOL,Badger I understand, but MK4?

Seekins all the way! Once you spoil yourself with Seekins rings, not even Badgers will do it for you.

here, have a look at the Seekins ring, notice that thereis no cross bolt sticking out the side. Very sleek design. And the lug on the bottom of the ring isnt a machined down cross bolt either, its actually machined into the bottom of the ring.

Aries%203%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

Aries%201%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

now here is a pic of Badger rings
    item_161.jpg

notice that the recoil lug on the bottom is actually the cross bolt machined to a square.

Nothing against Badger rings, they are really nice and strong, I just happen to like the design of Seekins rings better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beltfed74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to see a better ring than the Badger or Mk4s. </div></div>

LOL,Badger I understand, but MK4?

Seekins all the way! Once you spoil yourself with Seekins rings, not even Badgers will do it for you.</div></div>

I dont fall into the Leupold sucks brainwashing. The Mk4 rings and bases have never failed me yet.

Hell I have a pair of NC Star rings that have never failed me either, doesnt mean Im going to comapre them to Seekins or Badger, or say I have yet to find a better pair.

I prefer Badger rings, but do have one set of Mark 4 rings that are just fine. I recently needed a set of 34mm rings and wanted to try the Seekins (and save a dime or two). I ordered a set, but after a few weeks of waiting, I got impatient and got another set of Badgers. One day I may get to try some - if they are in stock when needed.

My first 'good' set of rings was Seekins. It's all a matter of what appeals to you though. I would limit it to Badger and Sekins personally.

Badger or Seekins for me. Aluminum or steel doesn't matter as long as they are quality.

Seekins!

Below are a pair of medium-high Seekins rings on a 20 MOA Seekins base. The scope is a 5-25x50mm Falcon

newstock1.jpg

finished_1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell I have a pair of NC Star rings that have never failed me either, doesnt mean Im going to comapre them to Seekins or Badger, or say I have yet to find a better pair. </div></div>

Good for you. Have you ever had a set of Mk4s?

Yes Ive had them, but they are nowhere near the top of the list of rings I would pay good money for. Seekins tops that list with Badger at #2.

I have used the MK4's and the only reason I replaced them was to get a set of lower rings. I purchased the NF and they have worked great. Not sure how the NF compare to the Badgers.

What does everyone think of Nightforce rings? I have them and think they are fine but I have never really compared them to anything else. Are seekins rings better?

NF rings are excellent also. Have a few sets on my NF scopes. Would be in the mix for 30mm rings as they don't offer a 34mm(yet) or 35mm ring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgp5014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does everyone think of Nightforce rings? I have them and think they are fine but I have never really compared them to anything else. Are seekins rings better? </div></div>

I have tried the Nightforce titanium rings, the Badger SASR, and Near Manufacturing Alphamounts. Below are my likes and dislikes:

1. Nightforce titaniums
    Like - really light, very well machined and precise, feels quality through and through, scope doesn't slip around like on cheaper rings (Burris, Millet, etc)
    Dislike - no 34mm that I know of

2. Badgers
    Like - The six screw front and two screw rear really allows a nice return to zero, scope doesn't slip around like on cheaper rings
    Dislike - Too freaking heavy!!!, finish more utilitarian than artistic perfection compared to Nightforce

3. Near Manufacturing Alphamounts
    Like - Fairly light, uber precise, design allows the best return to zero after detach, beautiful artistic finish even better than Nightforce, very strong
    Dislike - ask my wallet

I'm starting to lean towards the Seekins rings and base as a matched set. I guess I can live with my Burris rings and EGW base for now until the Seekins comes in stock.

One quick question: I noticed a distinct difference in base design wrt to the Pic rail slots. The typical base appears to have the slots only at the sides and not all the way across. Wheras the Seekins and the Larue appear to be the only ones that have a continuous slot from side to side just like an AR-15 Pic rail. Is there an advantage to a solid slot or are the other traditional bases fine and its saving weight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Follow up question: Alloy or steel? </div></div>

Seekins = Aluminum
    Badger = Steel

Both are excellent. The choice depends on your needs. I have switched mostly to Seekins as I have always hated that big 1/2" bolt on the side of my rings and because the Seekins offers all the strength I need with less weight. An added bonus is that the ring caps and base bolts are the same Torx size...no more need to carry that emergency 1/2" wrench in my stock pack anymore.

Scope base is more critical than your rings. Best quality and measurable precision I have seen comes from Near Mfg. Only Near guarantees .0003" to perfect. Having measured slot variation on NF, BO, Warne, and Near rails: I found Near to be equal to or better than their claim.

Rings. Had 4 sets of Badgers w/2 rails. Sold them all. These days I use TPS TSR rings and they are excellent, or Warne vertical split QD or semi-permanent. I also make a point to use relatively lightweight scopes like Leupold mk4 variables and fixed.

TPS rings are Best Value I've seen. Want to try their new extra low rings sometime soon. Can also say that most of my scopes offer 70+moa vertical adjustment and I've found that Steel Weaver or Warne bases are excellent for keeping low profile and a standard stockweld without need of a riser.

If you want to spend a lot of money just because, Badger gear will hold its value better than the rest. Always plenty of guys seeking that ultimate rifle build gear. Once they get tired of lugging around an 18+ lb boat anchor, they look for other solutions. An 11 pound rifle can keep up with the heavies, but Badger, Smith, Leupold Mk4 steel bases and rings aren't on the diet for lightweight precision carry rifles...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One quick question: I noticed a distinct difference in base design wrt to the Pic rail slots. The typical base appears to have the slots only at the sides and not all the way across. Wheras the Seekins and the Larue appear to be the only ones that have a continuous slot from side to side just like an AR-15 Pic rail. Is there an advantage to a solid slot or are the other traditional bases fine and its saving weight? </div></div>

I like a full cross-slot myself. It ensures positive contact, no matter how big or small the recoil lug is on a particular ring. I've seen some rings with small recoil lugs actually move under recoil when used in combination with bases that have the center cross-slot removed.

I'm sure the weight savings of removing the center section is minimal, expecially with aluminum.

Contact Scott at Liberty Optics. He usually has quite a selection of Seekins stuff in stock.

LaRue is the only one with the 'advantage' of being quick detachable.

But you don't hear much about them.

Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered a set of Seekins Med rings and 20MOA base from Scott at Liberty Optics. Hopefully the Med's are not too high. I'm currently running Burris XTR Low's and an EGW 20MOA base and I have just enough clearance now with my Falcon 5.5-25x50mm scope and BC caps. But I think the EGW base is a bit taller than the Seekins, so hopefully the seekins Med rings and lower base will be a wash.

now I just have to try to be paitent for 3 weeks
    frown.gif

Near Mfg. base and the Alpha Mount. You'll never look back or be satisfied with anything else again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered a set of Seekins Med rings and 20MOA base from Scott at Liberty Optics. Hopefully the Med's are not too high. I'm currently running Burris XTR Low's and an EGW 20MOA base and I have just enough clearance now with my Falcon 5.5-25x50mm scope and BC caps. But I think the EGW base is a bit taller than the Seekins, so hopefully the seekins Med rings and lower base will be a wash.

frown.gif
    </div></div>

Wise choice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered a set of Seekins Med rings and 20MOA base from Scott at Liberty Optics. Hopefully the Med's are not too high. I'm currently running Burris XTR Low's and an EGW 20MOA base and I have just enough clearance now with my Falcon 5.5-25x50mm scope and BC caps. But I think the EGW base is a bit taller than the Seekins, so hopefully the seekins Med rings and lower base will be a wash.

frown.gif
    </div></div>

Wise choice! </div></div>
    Do all you guys that run Seekins use Med rings with a 50mm obj? I'd like to go as low as I can for a good cheek weld. I already have an Eagle stock pack - but even that was barely high enough when I had my Burris XTR lows. I just don't want a really high scope setup and I just hope the Seekins Meds aren't too high.

edit to add: I'm eventually going to get a new custom barrel to replace my factory Rem SPS-T barrel. SO even if the rings are a touch high now, they will probably be perfect if I go with a straight barrel profile like I see a lot of custom barrels these days.

Any bad reports on the TPS rings?

I've seen other good reports on them before.
    The ones I have seen looked like a pretty quality product.
    I wonder if the low price is actually hurting them?

TPS rings are very decent, its their customer service thats sucks. Im running a pair right now in 35mm, but will soon be replaced with Seekins (when they are in stock)

I use seekins stuff because the quality, price, recoil lug in the rings. I have not used the badgers because I do not like the nut on the side. The one company that makes great rings and bases that does not get mentioned much is Farrell. They make bases in both steel and alloy for just about any patern bolt action out there. They are around the same price as the seekins.