• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me choose IOR 4x14 or Leupold 4x14

mp45acp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2008
behind enemy lines, so.cal.
before you start, yeah I know "THE SEARCH FUNCTION".

I am looking for current opinions and I am too lazy.

Of these two scopes am having a hell of a time deciding.

IOR valdada 4-14x50 illuminated
Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1 TMR Illum Reticle

one of these will replace a ss10x42 on a rem 700 .308

If you could buy just one, which one and why?

thanks

Re: Help me choose IOR 4x14 or Leupold 4x14

i think the glass in the IOR tends to be better and my biggest complaint in the MK4 line is the lack of matching turrets and reticles

IOR. I have their 1.5-8x24 CQB scope and I am really impressed by the overall quality of everything about the scope. Great glass, solid construction, super repeatable and adjustable turrets. When you adjust a turret it responds with a super-solid click, and it stays there. I really like the reticule of this particular scope which sits on top of my LMT CQB MRP gas piston AR. Unfortunately from everything I've read here on the Hide Loopy isn't the same company it was 15+ years ago.

The FOV in the Leupy 4-14 sux

I owned both scopes concurrently, until 18mos ago. Kept the Leupold.

IOR is heavy.
IOR is way too damn long, look at that occular lens and mag ring. Unless you use a prone forward-mount base the scope design will prove problematic for mounting.
IOR has THE WORST customer service and no warranty service or technical service at all.

I owned 4 IOR scopes at one time. Only one I still own is a Bucuresti. If IOR ever decided to open a real American sales arm like S&B, Zeiss, Burris, Leupold, Bushnell then they could be considered.

I have no use for heavy and long-assed ungainly scopes when another avoids these problems.

A riflescope is first a sighting mechanism. It is not a spotting scope and doesn't need to capture sight pictures equal to camera lens systems. My opinion is if you think your scope needs "the best glass" you are missing its function unless you are a benchrest competitor who will only fire from a fixed position rest everytime.

I like the Leupold 60000 I own. 100moa of reticle movement and compact size with excellent brightness in a lightweight scope make the sight very usable on a field weapon.

I have both a Leupold MK4 4.5-14X50 and an IOR 4-14X50 with exposed knobs. I'd say IOR hands down. Glass in mine is much better than my MK4. The turrets are better. The clicks are alot more crisp and are nut much like on my MK4. Buy one from Scott at Liberty Optics and you can't go wrong!

Scott at Liberty recommended the Mk4 to me over the IOR - I had the ame question. I really like the TMR reticle. I did a track test on it since I was concerned about the QC issues others have mentioned with Leupold.
The scope tracked perfectly in 1/4 moa clicks across the full range of elevation adjustment, and returned to zero after several full range adjustments. The reticle subtended correctly, it ranges at full power (14x). It did not have any reticle cant. Now maybe I just got lucky, but this scope is everything it is supposed to be so far at least. The glass is not as good as a Zeiss hunting scope I have used, but if I had to choose I would of course be more concerned with repeatibility which the Mk4 I have has demonstrated so far. Talk to Scott - he is easy to buy from.

Even knowing the IOR has better glass I have CONFIDENCE in the Leupold. One other to look at is Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 but it only has 50 moa of internal adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott at Liberty recommended the Mk4 to me over the IOR - I had the ame question. I really like the TMR reticle. I did a track test on it since I was concerned about the QC issues others have mentioned with Leupold.
The scope tracked perfectly in 1/4 moa clicks across the full range of elevation adjustment, and returned to zero after several full range adjustments. The reticle subtended correctly, it ranges at full power (14x). It did not have any reticle cant. Now maybe I just got lucky, but this scope is everything it is supposed to be so far at least. The glass is not as good as a Zeiss hunting scope I have used, but if I had to choose I would of course be more concerned with repeatibility which the Mk4 I have has demonstrated so far. Talk to Scott - he is easy to buy from. </div></div>
I too recently purchased a Leupold MK4, though mine is a 6.5-20x. I agree with everything KY said above. Mine tracks true and holds/returns to zero. I love the TMR reticle and the glass compared favorably to the NF NXS 5.5-22x50mm I also looked at my local dealer. The only scope I looked through that I liked more than the MK4 was a Zeiss 6-24x56mm Diavari (I didn't look at S&B, USO, or Premier), but it was out of my price range. I've read little positive things about Leupold here, but my MK4 has exceeded my expectations so far and has been a great value for the $1,050 I paid.

I would not buy a scope that you cannot get service on, so the decision would be easy for me.

I would question why you want a new scope. You seem to do just fine with your Super Sniper....

Another vote for IOR...
the glass is great....
or maybe an ST10?

I cant even believe this is a question. The glass on the IOR is way better, I owned a number of leupold mark IV's and once I looked through an IOR I sold all of those leupolds. Regarding customer service, I have always gotten great service and fast turn around from IOR, the bad rap they had was true but it was a long time ago.

mike