• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me Choose please.

1791PrecisionArmory

FFL-07
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2011
Idaho
Ok, I'm getting ready to take the plunge into long range shooting and have fun reloading for it.

With the funds I have i've narrowed it down to two different rifle's.

1. Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec 308 part # 29663

2. Savage 5R 308 part# 19055

Also I'm left handed but have always shot right handed bolt's. Is it worth switching to LH or just stick with RH?

Re: Help me Choose please.

Second the Savage, and stick to RH if your comfortable on the gun.

I would vote for the savage. You definitely get more bang for your buck with savage.

Savage also makes a non 5R in a McMillan A5 stock for 1100.00 Anyone have experience with this?

Personally, I would never pick a Salvage over a Remington... But that's just me. I hear good things about Salvage but have yet see them in person.

... And the spelling is not a mistake.

Go with the Savage. If you ever want to rebarrel it, you can do it yourself without having to play the "gunsmith waiting game".

Get the 5R Milspec. Get it right-handed.

For two primary reasons: Upgradability and resale value. You can easily change and/or upgrade a 5R without affecting its value; and the 5R will hold its value better and re-sell quicker, as will a right-handed rifle.

The left-handed versus right-handed debate has been covered here in detail, and in sum I agree with Lindy. Bottom line: In some ways it doesn't matter because if you want to shoot it in practical rifle competition you will shoot the rifle from both sides anyway. Prone won't be problem either way, and might even be faster for you with a right-handed rifle. Positional shooting will take some practice left-handed with a right-handed bolt. But plenty of lefties shoot right-handed rifles and it doesn't hamper them <span style="text-decoration: underline">provided that they defer to their dominant eye</span> and properly learn the craft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the 5R Milspec. Get it right-handed.

For two primary reasons: Upgradability and resale value. You can easily change and/or upgrade a 5R without affecting its value; and the 5R will hold its value better and re-sell quicker, as will a right-handed rifle.

The left-handed versus right-handed debate has been covered here in detail, and in sum I agree with Lindy. Bottom line: In some ways it doesn't matter because if you want to shoot it in practical rifle competition you will shoot the rifle from both sides anyway. Prone won't be problem either way, and might even be faster for you with a right-handed rifle. Positional shooting will take some practice left-handed with a right-handed bolt. But plenty of lefties shoot right-handed rifles and it doesn't hamper them <span style="text-decoration: underline">provided that they defer to their dominant eye</span> and properly learn the craft. </div></div>

Great advice, Thanks for everyone's replies. I think either rifle will be great. Been shooting for 10 years but to really take the next step I think long range will test my brains.

You can't go wrong with either, really.

Remember, it's a journey: What you start with won't be what you end up with anyway. The main thing is that you start.

I know it's not on your list, but if you start with an AE in .308 you won't have to upgrade or change for a very, very long time, if at all.
wink.gif

If you buy any AI in a caliber, you'll never need another rifle in that caliber.

My second precision rifle was an AI AE in 7.62X51, in 2003. I've never seen any reason to buy another in that caliber.

Im right handed but left eye dom so I shoot left handed. I have bolt rifles in both left and right handed and prefer the right handed over the left handed every time. Plus if you ever decide to part with a rifle, its much easier selling the righty over the lefty.

Alright, I've decided to go RH bolt. Stocks are much easier to come by in this config. Also, Decided to go with the Remington because I have easier access to bottom metal upgrade parts ect. Doesn't hurt that I have Spartan Precision within an hour from me for a gunsmith (very happy with that)

Now the decision is between the threaded 20 or the 24".

Leaning 24 inch because I believe it will be easier for "me" to hit at long range.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to chime in.

For a .308 I'd go with the threaded 20" because of several reasons.
First with a .308 your not going to gain very much velocity with that extra 4" of barrel.
Secondly it's been proven that a short barrel is just as accurite as a long one, may be even a bit more accurite due to the barrel being even more rigid.
The treads are nice if you ever want to install a break or supressor at a later time.
It will be lighter with a shorter barrel which should make it more versitile & also eaiser to shoot off hand.

But that's just me.

Good choice on the Remington. I'd certainly go with the 20" version.