• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide caliber 243ai or 260 ai

JWV

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mich State Univ, East Lansing
I found two pre-fit barrels in stock. They are identical except one is a 243ai and one is a 260 ai. Both are 8 twists and 26 inches long. I have 500 140 6.5 amaxs and I have 200 6mm 115gr berger target bullets. I have quite a bit of 243 brass already. What would you guys get? I also have a short or long action that this could go on. I recently cancelled my 6.5x55 barrel order and that is why I am looking at one of these calibers. For clarification, the will be used for 600 yard target shooting and maybe varmints. But NO game larger than that. What would you guys do. Either way, there will either be a bunch of bullets going up for sale in the classifieds when I make my decision.

Re: Help me decide caliber 243ai or 260 ai

There is also a 6.5 Creedmore 28 inch available but I don't like the limited brass selection so much.

BTW...I have 300 pieces of Lapua 308 that could be necked down to either caliber.

I really like the 260ai. I form brass from 243 brass using the cow method. I feel that it has better barrel life than the 6mm's. Mild recoil and better down range preformance than the 6's.

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered a Criterion 28 inch, 8 twist, bull contour that should be here next week sometime. For those that are unaware, criterion is the button rifling division of Kreiger. Some guy recently missed setting the Fclass world record with one by one point and others have been getting great results. So 270 bucks for a pre fit for a match, hand lapped barrel had me sold.

What caliber did you get? You said both tubes were 8 twist. I have a criterion on my M1 and it is a hammer. It will clean the 600yd target all day until I do something stupid.

I got the 260AI. The longer barrel life and higher long range performance persuaded me and the fact I already have 600 bullets. This summer I am actually making up to some farmland in northeastern Michigan where you could theoretically shoot 2 miles. But I may stretch it out a shade past 1k. However, dies for the 260AI are not common and are effing expensive.

You will be happy with it. When my 308 goes south I am kicking around going to that caliber. It will be a complete new caliber for me but everyone I have talked to and shot their rifles it is like cheating when you compare it to a 308.

The barrel will be in on Wednesday and go/no go gauges before the end of the week. I rented them as they were not available anywhere. I also have 260AI dies and 100 pieces of 7-08 brass on the way from Grafs. Time to start making some 260 AI brass!!!